android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Microsoft Zune > Zune HD

Old 08-31-2010, 03:53 AM
Buddy

Default DaveMac on Zune Insider - post your questions!

Hi folks:

I'll be on the Zune Insider podcast this week - got a question? Ask away!

Remember - I can't talk about unreleased products, future unannounced plans, etc... but if you have questions about stuff I've tweeted about, previous projects, behind-the-scenes stuff or just general life at Microsoft... hit me up here!

Cheers, Dave.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-31-2010, 04:59 AM

What about all us Aussie ZuneHD owners ????!!!!! Can you say hi to all the Aussie's who have a Zune HD - and mention the Whirlpool forum readers and Zune HD supporters!!! That would be Aaaawwwweeessssommmme !

PS Say hi to Matt and Jessica too from your fellow Aussies...

PPS - Damn another podcast already! I was going to send the guys a competition entry for the cool T-Shirt last podcast - with a Shark story, cause when I listened to the podcast and heard the competition - I was EATING SHARK !!!! Having Flake and chips on a Friday night.... Too late lol.

Last edited by Strider_Aus; 08-31-2010 at 05:05 AM.

Old 08-31-2010, 05:09 AM

Oh a question....where's all the Video Podcasts gone ???? I don't think they have done a video one since April or something sooooo long ago. I thought they had a great new desk/area for better vidcasts ???

Old 08-31-2010, 07:22 AM

What were you doing with those 500 Zunes?

Old 08-31-2010, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubdirthill View Post
What were you doing with those 500 Zunes?
Yeah really, seems like a plot to take over the world.

Old 08-31-2010, 08:29 AM

1) Have you ever spotted a Zune in the wild?
2) What is the reason why you travel a lot? ... spreading the word of Zune maybe?...
3) Do you know where 'Zune' name came from? ..does it have a story behind it?

Old 08-31-2010, 09:43 AM

I have 2 questions:

1. There are many users (and even more potential customers) who would want another way to sync their files with Zune HD. Something easier, that could work on any pc without downloads and installations. Can you share some of your team's thoughts about the current Zune "ecosystem", its pros and cons ?

And a little more difficult question to answer (ok...it's not exactly one question, but you might have a combined answer):

2. a)Are you considered to be a person who loves to listen to music on mp3 players and has a reasonably large digital music collection?
b)Is there anything that you personally don't like so much on Zune HD and some other players might have or something you would want to change?
c)What would you do if you were on a trip and you wanted to connect your Zune HD and fill it with music from your personal "online database"...do you believe that personal collections are a second (or a third) choice for Zune HD owners and they should use as a first choice the Zune pass?

Last edited by Zuniq; 08-31-2010 at 10:22 AM.

Old 08-31-2010, 10:50 AM

1. Why isn't there other languages support, like hebrew, russian and more?
2. Why ZuneHD Doesn't have FLAC support?
3. Even if (im not saying there will be...) ZuneHD2 will release, you won't stop making updates for the Zunehd?

Old 08-31-2010, 11:10 AM
Anythingbutiphone Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Einav15 View Post
3. Even if (im not saying there will be...) ZuneHD2 will release, you won't stop making updates for the Zunehd?
Dave's answered these questions before, so rather than make you wait for the Podcast, where he may or may not address it, I'll take a stab at it here to appease your curiosity.

Quote:
The Zune HD is only for sale within the United States. If it were available worldwide, there would be a broader language selection. For right now, they assume that most in their retakil area speak English.

Quote:
MS is taking the mainstream (iPod) approach. Most people outside of this forum don't even know what FLAC is. "MP3" is about the only codec that resonates with people, and even then, most people don't know what a codec is. Hell, most iPod owners can't tell you how their songs are encoded. They don't know what AAC is, nor do they care.

MS isn't going to support something that the masses aren't clamoring for.

Quote:
I'd go off their track record. MS has a history of releasing updates for their products even after retail sales have ceased. They have a far better track record in this regard than most companies. I believe the day 1 Zune 30GB was still getting updates around the time of the Zune HD's launch, which would have put support at what, 2-3 years? Not bad.

Old 08-31-2010, 11:41 AM

Thanks for the reply... I have one more question: will the wp7 release change the language support?

Old 08-31-2010, 11:58 AM
Anythingbutiphone Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Einav15 View Post
Thanks for the reply... I have one more question: will the wp7 release change the language support?
I don't see WP7 having any direct affect on the Zune HD software. WP7 will be released internationally, so it should support many different languages.

Old 08-31-2010, 12:47 PM
Ultra Senior Member

1) I'd just like the Zune team to consider this...please make the Zune software optional. If the software is optional, also make it MSC compatible, so you can just drag&drop and use it on any OS without the need of installing software.

2) I really hope that MS doesn't stop releasing updates/supporting the ZuneHD anytime soon. I'd just like a confirmation that there are no plans to ditch updates for the ZuneHD.

Retired Devices:
Sansa Fuze 8+16GB Rockboxed

Old 08-31-2010, 01:40 PM

I have a random question, What will the zune music xbox integration be like?

Old 08-31-2010, 03:48 PM

I would like to know how Zune got it's name too!

Old 08-31-2010, 05:41 PM

1) Does the Zune platform have its own team that is centered on it 100%? What I mean by that is there engineers (hardware/software) that work 100% on Zune product or are they engineering for other MS product and when a Zune project comes through the pipeline they work on that as well as other non-Zune projects? Outside of engineering is it the same/different (as far as working focus)?

2) Tieing in with question #1... how many people work 100% of the time on Zune?

3) What is the work culture like at Microsoft? Does everyone sit in a cubicle (I thought I heard at one point that Bill Gates had a cubicle and not a conventional office)? What are some perks of working at MS?

Old 08-31-2010, 06:16 PM

Will you hire me when I turn 18? I've always wanted to work at Microsoft.
Kidding on the question, but serious on the working-at-Microsoft thing.

Here's my real question:
It seems that Microsoft's mobile dev team has been focusing on Windows Phone 7. When WP7 finally releases, will we start to gradually see some more solid releases for the Zune firmware/software? It's been a while since the last firmware update.

Old 08-31-2010, 06:41 PM

We see all these $80 and $70 players that sell like hotcakes, but if you are truely appealing to the mainstream market, wouldn't having a high quality player in the $75-100 range help get people tuned in to how Zune handles its stuff?

The player won't really need a Tegra chipset or a "squircle" just a basic play, stop, pause button setup would work. Essentially, I got hooked on Zune at that very same price point of $99. I bought a Zune 4GB Flash and loved the software. It would be nice if a trend like that were to continue.

So my question is this-

Does Zune have any plans to release a more cost effective player to the market in the $75-100 market range like the previous generation Zunes?

Old 09-01-2010, 12:17 AM

dave i would like to know how you got your job in ms? and why there isnt a speaker in te zunehd?

Old 09-01-2010, 02:16 AM

Quote:
I'd just like a confirmation that there are no plans to ditch updates for the ZuneHD.
Quote:
7. When WP7 finally releases, will we start to gradually see some more solid releases for the Zune firmware/software? It's been a while since the last firmware update.
Quote:
So my question is this-

Does Zune have any plans to release a more cost effective player to the market in the $75-100 market range like the previous generation Zunes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMac-MS View Post
Remember - I can't talk about unreleased products, future unannounced plans, etc...

Old 09-01-2010, 07:37 AM

Cool

I was the one who asked Zune for an email app. Is that going to happen? please. -thanks