android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > SanDisk Sansa > Sansa Fuze

Old 11-13-2010, 10:24 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by idivorceyou View Post
The main memory has, in the music directory, my party songs directory, split into 3 subdirectories of approx. 500 songs each.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmatic View Post
Are you saying that you have three folders with about five-hundred songs in each folder? If so, I suggest you use subfolders in these three folders—twenty songs per subfolder. If you have any other large folders, whether in internal memory or external memory, put the songs in subfolders—twenty per subfolder—and see if the refresh is quicker.

Try organizing your music files as recommended by Rockbox—folders to act like artist folders and subfolders to act like albums. Put twenty songs in each “album.” I have my music organized like the way done by Marvin the Martian—the way recommended by Rockbox
I think you should follow Enigmatic's advice here....and if you still want to be able to access those songs as your party songs, you could do it by using MP3Tag to change their genre to "party" then you could play by genre with the database.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-14-2010, 04:02 PM

Aside from my party mega directory, everything else on the player is as per rockbox. /artist/album, with a further subdivision into 5 or six uber groups ("rock", "blues", "reggae", etc.)

I divided my beloved 1600 song "party" directory, which by the way has no problem on my other rockbox'd devices, into 43 subidrectories. I also checked what was going on on my sd card, which had some mega directory issues of its own and subdivided into more managable sizes.

I re-mp3 tagged everything to eliminate id3 v1.

end result: 11 minutes to refresh. then another go round - 14 minutes.

this media refreshing thing is a joke and has ruined my enjoyment of the Fuze.

Old 11-14-2010, 04:04 PM

the problem is adding (or deleting) music. the subdirectory thing made no difference to the refresh time. I know the Rockbox forums have tagged this as a problem. Hopefully they will outsmart the OF in an upcoming release!

Thanks to enigmatic, marvin and steven for their help in attempting to address my Fuze issue.

Old 11-14-2010, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idivorceyou View Post
I am still looking forward to a better rockbox build that avoids the refresh of the O/F altogether, but 3 minutes is entirely reasonable.
After your disconnect from usb simply hold down the power button until it shuts down then boot up and you have rockbox, no need to let OF refresh.

Old 11-14-2010, 09:37 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adub View Post
After your disconnect from usb simply hold down the power button until it shuts down then boot up and you have rockbox, no need to let OF refresh.
I had the same thought...but won't skipping the database refresh after disconnecting force the SanDisk firmware to re-initiate the refresh the next time he boots into the OF (either manually or by connecting to USB from within Rockbox) to transfer more files?

Old 11-14-2010, 10:52 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by epithetless View Post
I had the same thought...but won't skipping the database refresh after disconnecting force the SanDisk firmware to re-initiate the refresh the next time he boots into the OF (either manually or by connecting to USB from within Rockbox) to transfer more files?
Yes, it will.

Old 11-15-2010, 12:39 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
Yes, it will.

Old 11-15-2010, 03:23 AM
Ultra Senior Member

lol....

ah, the great stuff one misses here whilst on a plane for 15 hours...

@OP, the guys have all given you great advice. My own refresh time on my Fuze are...laughable. But I just don't care...

Maxed out Fuze [Rockboxed] and 16GB card - my own refresh times are around 25 mins. \o/ !!!!

But I know why:
- i insist on ISO-UTF16 for my ID3v.2.3 character sets;
- i organize my music on the Fuze like you do and will not change: a few major folders and that's it. On the card, I have 1 folder with all my songs in it [over 1500+];
- i include lots of artist/album comments in my COMMENT ID3 tag field;

A PITA, of course. But I just let it do its thing while I get a cup of coffee and smoke a cig.

Not a biggie for me...

cheers and good luck...you ain't alone
-les
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 11-15-2010, 03:48 AM

I use a card reader, thus making the load time a complete non issue. Having the OF only load the internal memory, and reset after the card is inserted works. Though even with a full internal and 16gb my times are under 5min.

Old 11-15-2010, 03:55 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Adub: so true! Thanks for the reminder - this is something we had chatted about when I first got my Fuze with card.

Yes, I need to amend my post - those refresh times only impact me when I make changes to the main mem of Fuze - the card reader copy of music combined with RB installed does make these refresh times a non-issue.

thanks Adub
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 11-15-2010, 04:02 PM

I'm with Lestatar on this one. My main Fuze memory consists of the fantastic party directory. Painstakingly created over many years, when played on shuffle with a little crossfading, instant party. not a dud in the bunch. I pulled the sd card and the refresh for just the Fuze without card was 10 minutes. I dont plan on updating that directory and will load music via the sd card through a card reader here on in. Thanks for the tip on that one!

Old 11-15-2010, 04:59 PM

Does the Fuze V1 have this refresh problem, or is it just the "improved" V2?

If so, I am so trading this thing.

Old 11-15-2010, 05:03 PM
Ultra Senior Member

AFAIK, the refresh issue is with all Sandisk players. The v1 Fuze is not exempt to my knowledge.

EDIT: Yes, pursuant to skip252's post below...I was referring to stock devices.

skip252, are you saying that stock v1 Fuzes don't have this refreshing media issue? No Rockbox in the equation? If yes, I will again shut my mouth as I obviously am providing bad info

thanks for always cleaning up after me lol

EDIT2:
crap skip252...I am still jetlagged and cannot read properly - sorry man...
A Glossary for Newbies

Last edited by lestatar; 11-15-2010 at 05:30 PM.

Old 11-15-2010, 05:14 PM
Administrator

The V1 Fuze with Rockbox has full USB support. No database refresh. I haven't seen the OF on my V1 Fuze in months. The V1 Fuze battery life in Rockbox is significantly less however. About 12-13 "real life" hours vs. 18-20 for the V2.

@ lestatar: Yes the stock device has the database refresh, I stated "with Rockbox" because idivorce you is using Rockbox and references that their other Rockboxed devices don't have long refresh times.

Last edited by skip252; 11-15-2010 at 05:28 PM. Reason: clarification in reference to lestatar's question.

Old 11-15-2010, 05:47 PM

that battery life issue is a non-starter. I have two other rockbox'd sansa's that don't have a refresh issue. I got the Fuze for the bigger screen and its 8gb, as my sansas are 4 and 6 gb, respectively. Am I insane to go through all this trouble for a lousy 2 gb??!!! o

Old 11-28-2010, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saratoga View Post
If you remove the tags you will lose all info in the tags, so no title and artist.

But thats not what hes talking about. He said to remove all the extra tags that aren't needed (ID3v1, APE, etc). I doubt this really helps, but trimming extra crap out of the ID3v2 tags probably does, since it'll save a lot of time digging through files to parse them.
Per the recommendations in this thread, I used MediaMonkey to clean the tags in my MP3s and it definitely reduced the "refreshing media" time on my Sansa Fuze. It used to take more than 10 minutes, now it takes less than 5 minutes.
MediaMonkey 4
Headphones: Koss PortaPro

Old 11-28-2010, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDMP3PlayerFan View Post
Per the recommendations in this thread, I used MediaMonkey to clean the tags in my MP3s and it definitely reduced the "refreshing media" time on my Sansa Fuze. It used to take more than 10 minutes, now it takes less than 5 minutes.
I asked this in another thread... I can see how getting rid of unneeded tags and fields could speed up scanning of the files. But which fields exactly do you want to leave? Can the Fuze use sorting fields such as ARTISTSORT? Can it use ALBUMARTIST? What's the best way to tag compilation albums?

Old 11-28-2010, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carson Dyle View Post
I asked this in another thread... I can see how getting rid of unneeded tags and fields could speed up scanning of the files. But which fields exactly do you want to leave? Can the Fuze use sorting fields such as ARTISTSORT? Can it use ALBUMARTIST? What's the best way to tag compilation albums?
As far as what tags to leave, what I did was have MediaMonkey (MM) completely remove all of the ID3 tags in my MP3s. Then I had MM rewrite the tags based on what was in the MM database, and only in version 2.3 encoded as ASCII + UTF-16.

As far as the tags I wanted, I only wanted those from the information contained in MM. I also have it set to automatically remove any tag that is not used. Although it results in a few tags unneeded by my player, it hasn't been a significant issue when syncing so far.

Before I did this I scanned my ID3 tags and discovered that I had a large number of old tags from different programs in my MP3s (such as from both WMP and iTunes). Doing what I described in the first paragraph completely cleaned out all of the unneeded tags, and made sure that those that remain are in sync with MM so that they should remain clean (as long I don't let any other program touch the files).

As far as tagging compilation albums, I use the Album Artist in MediaMonkey to handle this (I think the actual ID3 designation is "BAND"), not just for compilations but for all albums. If the album is a collection of tracks with a common artist, then I use the common artist name, such as with a greatest hits album by Glen Campbell (which contains a few duets).

With true compilations, such as soundtracks, I use "Various" for the album artist while artist contains the actual artist for that song. I organize the songs on my hard drive by album artist and then by album, so it puts all of the compilations together in a "Various" folder. This is a simple way that works for me.
MediaMonkey 4
Headphones: Koss PortaPro

Old 11-28-2010, 10:12 AM
Ultra Senior Member

"it refreshes the media and it takes forever, like 2-3 minutes"

My Clip has developed a bad habit recently, and refreshes the media after each time I connect it to the pc for charging. It does this even when I change nothing on the player. My guess is that this may be a Windows fault though, and Windows is inserting or changing a tiny systems file on the the player(this last time as soon as I connected the player I noticed the player display say writing). I guess I should use a power only cable when I want to just charge via pc. I could also charge via wall charger or usb battery pack. The database refresh takes a bit of time but isn't that painful. I know how to avoid it, but am curious about why it recently started happening.

Old 11-28-2010, 10:17 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK98 View Post
I could also charge via wall charger
That has always been my preferred method.