android
Old 08-30-2010, 08:44 AM
Administrator

Things did get a bit off track there, didn't they? If you haven't come across it yet there is thread started a couple of days ago where much the same thing was discussed. I found some very useful information in it. You may want to check it out.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-30-2010, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
Things did get a bit off track there, didn't they? If you haven't come across it yet there is thread started a couple of days ago where much the same thing was discussed. I found some very useful information in it. You may want to check it out.
thanks

looking through it now

Also, would I need a new music player to fully use my headphones?

I currently own a Zen Mozaic and when it plays certain songs with loud highs, it gives me some static for some reason
(I did drop it in water this one time...)

If that is the case, I might pick up a Clip+ as well

Old 08-30-2010, 01:38 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
thanks

looking through it now

I currently own a Zen Mozaic and when it plays certain songs with loud highs, it gives me some static for some reason

I had a Zen Mozaic briefly. I never tried using the EQ on it, but I can say that without EQ, the Clip+ sounds better.....at least it did to me, although everyone's ears are different.

Old 08-30-2010, 02:18 PM
Administrator

Quote:
thanks

looking through it now

Do you NEED another player? Maybe. I would be extremely leery of connecting a new set of quality headphones to a player that might hit them with a blast of uncontrolled sound. Dynamic drivers are a bit stiff when they are new and need to (I almost hate to say this) burn in. An uncontrolled blast of sound while they are still stiff may damage them permanently.

If you're asking can the Mozaic drive them well enough to get everything out of them, yes it probably can. Just about any decent player will drive a good set of headphones properly. When you are reading through the thread we referenced you'll see WalkGood's advice on that here. I have both closed and open headphones that range from 24 to 64 ohms and all of my players can get them to hearing damage levels. It's my belief that if a set of headphones is that loud I'm getting everything they have to offer.

Quite a few people will disagree with me on that and say you can't get everything without an amp. After carefully reading WalkGood's thread here and any number of "Do I need an amp for these 'phones?" questions and answers in that subforum I finally decided. I'm getting the full experience my headphones have to offer directly from my just my players. If I ever get a set of headphones that's too quiet then I'll look at getting an amp.

My advice would be to get the Clip+ or any player you like that won't shoot a blast of sound at your new headphones. Don't find some type of exotic burn in routine. Brown noise, white noise, frequency sweeps and other such silliness are much more likely to permanently damage your new headphones than do anything helpful. Just put 'em on and listen at normal volume. It's been fun for me listening for the changes as the drivers break in and my brain accommodates itself to the new sounds. For me it's one of the best parts of getting a new set of headphones.

Old 08-30-2010, 02:20 PM

Thanks Marvin and Skip

I don't really need a new one so I don't think I"ll need to buy one

I think I'm looking to get one of these:
JVC HARX900
ATH AD700
Senn HD428
Sony MDR-V6

How are the comfort levels on these cans?

I want them to completely cover my ears, not lay on top of them
circumaural headphones right?

One of the reasons I wanted the AD700 was because I heard they were really comfortable

Old 08-30-2010, 02:23 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Thanks Marvin and Skip

I don't really need a new one so I don't think I"ll need to buy one

I think I'm looking to get one of these:
JVC HARX900
ATH AD700
Senn HD428
Sony MDR-V6

How are the comfort levels on these cans?

I want them to completely cover my ears, not lay on top of them
circumaural headphones right?
Right, that is circumaural. I personally have never heard any of those four you list here, so I don't know how much I could tell you about them. I think I have heard that those AD700's are comfortable, for what that's worth.

Old 08-30-2010, 02:48 PM
Administrator

Comfort levels for me.
1. ATH AD700
2. Senn HD428
3. JVC HARX900
4. Sony MDR-V6.

One precaution I have a fair size melon. shigzeo was absolutely accurate. The ATH AD 700 are HUGE. They aren't really for small heads. Average size heads fit them just fine though.Truly surprising how comfortable something that size can be.

If you have a smaller head they will need a little modding. Nothing too elaborate, an elastic hair band looped around the wings pull them up tight enough for the smallest heads in my house.

Old 08-30-2010, 04:34 PM

I don't think my head is small so I don't think I"ll have trouble fitting into the AD700
Thanks for the heads up though

Old 08-30-2010, 11:20 PM

My mate at TouchMyApps bought a pair of AD900 back in 2004 when I got my AD700 and... bastard that he is, they worked much better for my small head. They are lighter and smaller and don't drag down my head. I may actually buy them off him.

Old 08-30-2010, 11:35 PM
Administrator

Sure hope he's buddy enough to give you a decent price. This is the first time I've even looked at the AD900. I may be missing an obvious bargain but the first 20 hits I'm getting are showing a $180 difference in price.

I guess I was luckier than what I relized getting the AD700 at $75. As I said previously a small elastic headband hooked behind the wings allows my wife to use them comfortably. Have you tried that?

Old 08-31-2010, 03:55 AM

I have, but I still find them to rock off when I am rocking out. The AD900 are a bit better for that. My mate actually went for the AD900 instead of the HD600 because the price was better, so yeah, while expensive, at least they are not dead killer. I got my AD700 for about 130$ USD or so, bought in Japan.