android
Old 08-27-2010, 10:40 PM

I am referring to the ES7 from Audio Technica. I've seen them for as low as 110$ USD, but that may be rare. For some reason, they are cheap here in certain parts of Korea while everything else is wildly expensive.

I've never really tried the PX100 II for longer than a few minutes. They seem pretty nice, but then again the old ones were too. The v-Jays, if you can find them, are good, but they too leak a bit.

For the price, my personal portable favourite is the porta pro, but it also leaks. And, at times, it is so bassy that the plastic manifold rattles!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-27-2010, 10:47 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
*snip*
Also when you refer to the ES7 do you mean the audio technica ath es7? Those are the only ones I find in a search and they are quite a bit past the $100 range where I'm finding them.
I used to see them just under and around $100 on Amazon.com......I've almost bought them several times, actually....but they're not available at that price there anymore. I wonder if they are being discontinued?

Old 08-27-2010, 10:57 PM

They may well be. I love the size/isolation for portable use, but spending more money on headphones right now seems silly for me.

Rather, I should be getting rid of/selling ones I don't use anymore.

There is such a thing as too much of a good thing.

Old 08-27-2010, 10:57 PM
Administrator

The beauty of opinions on headphones. We all have different ears and perceptions so we hear the same headphones very differently. The bass on the Portapros is so overwhelming to the rest of the music I rarely use them now. The JVC Flats level and quality of bass is more to my liking for portable use. They sit in a way that causes a "hear the ocean" effect so I'm continuing to shop.

At least now there is some diversity of opinion that JSH can call on. Considering that quite a few places in the US are now selling them in the $30 to $40 range the Portapros may be a good set to experience open headphones.

Old 08-27-2010, 11:04 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
I used to see them just under and around $100 on Amazon.com......I've almost bought them several times, actually....but they're not available at that price there anymore. I wonder if they are being discontinued?
Grrr....Seems to be the story of me and headphones. I traded my PX 100 with the anticipation I'd be able to pick up a new pair under $40. It seems they were discontinued almost the next day! If you look most places now the price is obscene.

I think you're right Marvin. I have distinct memories of seeing the ES7's at a much lower price. I'll have to set my email alerts so that if they drop again I can make a quick grab.

Old 08-27-2010, 11:13 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Grrr....Seems to be the story of me and headphones. I traded my PX 100 with the anticipation I'd be able to pick up a new pair under $40. It seems they were discontinued almost the next day! If you look most places now the price is obscene.

I think you're right Marvin. I have distinct memories of seeing the ES7's at a much lower price. I'll have to set my email alerts so that if they drop again I can make a quick grab.
And the cheapest I've seen the PX100-II's is $60-something.....so when my PX100's bite the dust for good(my friend is fixing them ), I'll go back to the good-sounding but uncomfortable KSC75's for on-the-go use, I guess.

Old 08-27-2010, 11:15 PM

In Canada, both the PP and the Px100 are very expensive. I'd love to be able to buy phones like that for only 40$

Old 08-27-2010, 11:19 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I've thought about trying the PortaPros, but the headband doesn't look like it would feel so good with my buzzed hair ( I cut it with the 1/8" attachment every couple weeks). So I'd either have to come up with a ghetto-looking wrap for it, or always wear a hat....lol.

Old 08-27-2010, 11:21 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Hmm, in Singapore it (PX100-II) costs S$99 but the cheapest I could find is S$70.

@Marvin - All I did was just to tape the damned things in position.

Old 08-27-2010, 11:24 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickysio View Post
Hmm, in Singapore it (PX100-II) costs S$99 but the cheapest I could find is S$70.

@Marvin - All I did was just to tape the damned things in position.
I meant the bare metal sitting on my head....how would tape help with that?

Old 08-27-2010, 11:29 PM

Actually, buzzed hair and the porta pros isn't a bad combination. The metal clasps don't hurt; what hurts is if you have long hair and the clips bits snag the hair right from your scalp.

I shaved my head originally for the my PortaPro's....

Old 08-27-2010, 11:36 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Well, maybe when my PX100's are dead, I will give the PP's a try. If they've been on the market this long, I think they'll still be there when my PX100's die.

Old 08-27-2010, 11:55 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
Well, maybe when my PX100's are dead, I will give the PP's a try. If they've been on the market this long, I think they'll still be there when my PX100's die.
Don't know how much you want to wait on that Marv. Current prices are the cheapest here in the US I've seen a couple of years. I know you've been a player splurge but they're $30 now at BestBuy.

The day I bought mine they were $45. 3 days later they dropped to $30. Of course I did the price match. With Koss introducing their new line who knows?

Old 08-28-2010, 12:01 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Don't know how much you want to wait on that Marv. Current prices are the cheapest here in the US I've seen a couple of years. I know you've been a player splurge but they're $30 now at BestBuy.

The day I bought mine they were $45. 3 days later they dropped to $30. Of course I did the price match. With Koss introducing their new line who knows?
Another one I always wondered about is the Koss-KTXPRO1-Titanium-Portable-Headphones .....they're really inexpensive, and look to have the same drivers as my KSC75....but I don't know anybody that has ever had one, to confirm that.

Old 08-28-2010, 12:31 AM
Administrator

Don't know this for sure but I believe Koss only makes 1 titanium coated driver. They just stick it in different housings. If your want to test the Portapro sound press your KSC75 tight to your ears. there's a little difference but not enough to notice unless you're listening really close. I doubt you would notice out of the house.

I was tempted by the KTXPRO-1 but they've got an in-line volume control. I've had poor experience with those in the past so I passed them up. Plus I would have had to order online.

lol, I just checked BB and they are available locally now. They were always "Shipping Not Available" and weren't available in the Chicago area. May have to do a run to BB this weekend.

Old 08-28-2010, 04:36 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:

Amazon used to be full of fake ES7's that were typically being sold under 100$ by market place vendors. Same goes for e-bay. I wouldn't recommend buying the ES7's to anyone though, they are a real hard fit for most people, but if you really want to try them you best make sure they are authentic, by buying from a reputable store like Audio Cubes II, Bluetin, Jaben or Price Japan. All of the mentioned shop have them for really expensive though.

Finally even though the OP hasn't posted in awhile and we've all gone off on a bit of a tangent on pointless issues I meant to post a suggestion here, the JVC HA-RX900 could be a good choice for on the budget audio gear. They can be bought on the cheap (Like 50$), and I think they stack up fairly well against most other sub100$ closed headphones especially if you dont need them to be portable.

Old 08-28-2010, 05:19 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
Thanks for all the replies!

I'll have to give it a little more thought
I'll look into the Senn HD428 as well as the A700

The HD428 seems to be cheaper
I might try those first and then see from there

Although I really do want to try out an open headphones and see how they sound

Thanks again for all your help
Actually after things calmed down most of the discussion was about open headphones Jack4L. The JVC HA-RX900 are closed. Didn't much like them when I had them but once again headphones are a matter of personal preference.

Are you aware of more decent open 'phones in the sub $100 range? I've been looking at a few other options for myself. I've seen almost an equal amount of praise and pans for the Senn HD 238 as I've been looking around. I can get them at a decent price so I was wondering if you had any personal experience with them.

Old 08-28-2010, 12:05 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
Hey I'm semi-new to this forum as I have been lurking for quite some time now.

This site helped me to choose my Creative Zen a year ago

After my 50 dollar korean headphones broke and with my JVC marshmallow recently breaking, I decided to invest a bit into getting a good pair of headphones (around $100)

I was thinking about purchasing ATH-AD700

I was wondering how loud it is for others
I've read some comments on how you can't wear it in public at all and you can bother your roommates or even people in adjacent rooms?

Also are there any other recommendations for headphones?

I listen to mostly trance, rock and classical
and I like less bass with clear mids and highs

Also, size isn't really an issue as I want this to be for listening music at home

Thanks!
Quote:
Consider visiting an optician?
Was it necessary to do that in such an immature fashion? Have I done such a thing to you - especially since it seems the OP would prefer HP's that do not disturb others around them - as well as provide enough isolation to enjoy the audio is peace. They may be used at home, but there's isolation issues the OP has asked to be considered.

Really - I took the entire post into consideration - you zeroed in on 1 aspect of it (even if I may have been slightly off w/my post - I still got the entire idea behind the OP's request).

Old 08-28-2010, 09:41 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
Was it necessary to do that in such an immature fashion? Have I done such a thing to you - especially since it seems the OP would prefer HP's that do not disturb others around them - as well as provide enough isolation to enjoy the audio is peace. They may be used at home, but there's isolation issues the OP has asked to be considered.

Really - I took the entire post into consideration - you zeroed in on 1 aspect of it (even if I may have been slightly off w/my post - I still got the entire idea behind the OP's request).
Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
Read the OP's first and second posts - it doesn't say that ANYWHERE!!!
I was merely wondering why you couldn't spot the line, especially since it wasn't in a paragraph.

@JSH

Have you tried any Grado headphones?

Old 08-30-2010, 08:24 AM

Quote:

@JSH

Have you tried any Grado headphones?
Nope I haven't

Sorry I haven't visited in a while, I don't really have internet at home as of now and been kind of busy

Lots of uh discussion going on

Thanks for all the recommendations and help

Just to clarify a few things, I was just looking for headphones to listen at home not for traveling
but yeah didn't really want to disturb others in the same room
So I was debating whether or not to get the open headphones
But I do want to try out an open headphones as well to see the difference

ah and so many different headphones
kind of overwhelming

Last edited by JSH; 08-30-2010 at 08:36 AM.