android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Other Brands > Viliv

Old 08-24-2010, 06:44 AM

Default Viliv P3 estimated release date and price

After having bought both the super fi 5 pro and the monster turbine pro gold headphones, I decided that an ipod touch doesn't provide adequate sound quality, so I have been looking to buy the viliv p3 when released. However I dont know when it will be released or how much it will cost. If it is a long time away from release, could you suggest any other players that have the following features:

-OLED screen is a must
-Support for apps/games
-Capacitive touch screen
-3.3" or larger screen preferably around 3.7
-a 'fun' aspect and a player that looks good
-Hopefully wifi
-available in UK
-under 200 pounds

Currently the best option looks like the j3 or m1, but I have heard bad reviews on the m1 and both players lack wifi. I dont like the zune hd.

Thanks and sorry for long post.

Haven

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-24-2010, 06:58 AM

Here is what we know about the Viliv P3: http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55271

Old 08-24-2010, 07:22 AM

unfortunately there is nothing (recommendable) out there which has a 3.3+" display AND wifi.

i was also prying at the viliv (cause of android) but i guess, if at all, the p3 will not come to europe this year.

the 32 gb wifi version costs (official viliv store) 449.000 won, or about 245 .
BUT, this is also includes a dmb "module" (antenna and stuff, i guess) and the 8 gb standard version (without wifi and dmb) costs only 269000 won or 140 .

so i think, IF the player hits europe, the dmb "module" will be removed and this could reduce pricing a bit, but i think the 32gb version will still cost 200+ ( 350 in germany respectively ).

my advice, either wait out some months, the new samsung android player is likely to have wifi (as it is rumoured a ipho... i mean a galaxy s without the "phone" part), wait out some more for other stuff/the viliv, or reevaluate your requirements. if wifi is not thaaaat essential, going with a J3 is the best thing to do imo (though i still don't own one myself )

Old 08-24-2010, 07:27 AM
Ultra Senior Member

As above, your best bet is the Samsung Yeppod Touch.

Old 08-24-2010, 09:00 AM

Default P3 seems to be selling on ebay

After looking on ebay it seems that the p3 is selling on ebay and shipping worldwide - is this real, and if I buy will there be english support? I really want before december.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Viliv-P3-Wifi-...er_MP3_Players

Thanks everyone for the replies

Old 08-24-2010, 09:17 AM

if you want it that bad and are willing to go beyond the 200 limit i recommend (well can't recommend, as i've never but ordered a thing there myself) exportprive.com.

there are significantly (miraculously, they already charge premium) cheaper than this ebay shop, they have english support (which is apparently rather prompt, i've also heard they call you if you have an inquiry).

another thing about ebay: you probably get fucked by customs, real bad. exportprive.com won't pay it for you either, but it could be that they import it to some location in EU and than send it to you (though that is just a rumour).
best thing you can do, ask them.

http://www.exportprive.com/viliv-pla...1202_1217.html

Old 08-24-2010, 09:33 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haven View Post
-available in UK
-under 200 pounds
god I hope it weighs under 200lb....sorry, I had to..honestly couldnt help myself, hope you understand!!!

Old 08-24-2010, 09:40 AM

Lol eggycuppy im on abroad, and there is no pound symbol on the keyboard , and i couldn't be bothered to copy and paste one

Also is there anyone on any of the forums that has a p3, and if not why, because --> 240 doesnt seem like too much for 16gb with wifi considering the cowon j3 is about 170.

Old 08-24-2010, 09:41 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Samsung's firmware isn't... up to par. It takes more time to do something with the P3 demo set I tried at Best Denki (electronic megastore in Singapore) than even my old 5700.

Old 08-24-2010, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickysio View Post
Samsung's firmware isn't... up to par. It takes more time to do something with the P3 demo set I tried at Best Denki (electronic megastore in Singapore) than even my old 5700.
that's interesting... considering, we are talking about the VILIV P3.

Old 08-24-2010, 09:59 AM
Ultra Senior Member

@deadohiosky
Quote:
Also is there anyone on any of the forums that has a p3, and if not why, because --> 240 doesnt seem like too much for 16gb with wifi considering the cowon j3 is about 170.

Old 08-24-2010, 10:16 AM

dude, if you had a SAMSUNG P3 you would probably know that wifi is not "supported" as it apparently lacks a wifi chip and a wifi antenna.

no need to apologize.

Old 08-24-2010, 10:55 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Gah, maths (3D vectors, to be specific) caused my brain to BSOD earlier. After a short shower, it rebooted itself.

I guess I thought he referred to the Samsung P3 since the Viliv isn't even sold yet.

Old 08-25-2010, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EggyCuppy View Post
god I hope it weighs under 200lb....sorry, I had to..honestly couldnt help myself, hope you understand!!!
Hahaha!

Is it uncouth to post short comments like this that don't add to the discussion?

Old 08-25-2010, 09:29 AM

Deadohiosky do you know of any other online shops that sell the Viliv p3? I am willing to spend 200 pounds to buy as long as it is guaranteed to be delivered safely, including all taxes and customs (exportprive said its not insured and that the menues are in korean and that android isnt installed). I would like the wifi version, but dont really mind about storage space. Also if they are allready released there must be someone that has imported on this forum and written a review or something. For someone not to bought in europe or usa it seems to me there must be something wrong with the player that i am missing, since the specs are much better than an ipod.

Thanks again

Last edited by Haven; 08-25-2010 at 09:35 AM. Reason: name wrong

Old 08-25-2010, 10:13 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I managed to get to http://www.myviliv.com/v4/store/stor...NYUSER&pid=311...

But since I don't understand Korean (or Klingon, as some call it) and the other languages on that site don't offer the P3, I'm guessing that the Viliv P3 is Korea only for now.

Furthermore, I did a search for Viliv P3 and 빌립 P3 (빌립 is Viliv in Korean), and other than the Viliv official site, I can't see any other sellers.

Edit : I give up. 10 pages of worthless press releases repeated over and over again on different blogs.

Old 08-25-2010, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Deadohiosky do you know of any other online shops that sell the Viliv p3? I am willing to spend 200 pounds to buy as long as it is guaranteed to be delivered safely, including all taxes and customs (exportprive said its not insured and that the menues are in korean and that android isnt installed). I would like the wifi version, but dont really mind about storage space. Also if they are allready released there must be someone that has imported on this forum and written a review or something. For someone not to bought in europe or usa it seems to me there must be something wrong with the player that i am missing, since the specs are much better than an ipod.

Thanks again
no, unfortunately i don't. are you (or better they, exportprive) really sure that there is no android installed? because they actually state it on their very website.

the p3 definitely offers android (at least according to the website)

i also found a youtube video from viliv? which shows english android version (or maybe it is the win ce ui, don't know)

my guess, just like when you would order a J3 through them, the firmware/language is in korean but you can switch it to an international fw or just change the language to english.

i don't have any experiences whatsoever with viliv but according to what i heard so far, they are a decent company that might charge a little premium, but build quality and software should not be a problem.

you might want to check with them again.

apparently there is no one that bought this thing, and presumably there are not many korean guys with loose pockets here, either.
a quick search about reviews, even forum posts brought not many results, someone speaking here and there but nothing substantial.

furthermore, you have to consider that this player has only been around for a short while ( i think under 3 months actual availability) and some weeks ago there were only two or three versions on the myviliv site. now they added the non-wifi version, iinm.

again, if you want the player that hard, i think exportprive is the way to go. you will have to pay customs anyway, so i think ebay is not the best (and clearly not the cheapest) way to go.

one thing i can tell you though, it will cost you a lot more than just 200 pounds.

you could also send those guys here http://www.think4viliv.com/ (official uk distributor) an email and ask them whether the p3 will receive a uk/europe release.

Old 08-25-2010, 10:57 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Android is sort of a "me too" addon for the P3 - most of the capabilities (like file format support) is Win CE only.

Old 08-25-2010, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickysio View Post
Android is sort of a "me too" addon for the P3 - most of the capabilities (like file format support) is Win CE only.
where did you learn that?

Old 08-25-2010, 11:10 AM
Ultra Senior Member

From a thread on headfi.
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/...won-d3-as-well