android
Old 08-21-2010, 04:46 PM

Default Battery Meter Accuracy

Hi.
I'm curious how everyone else's experience with the battery meter has been.

My player seemed to only last about 6 hours of normal use before going down to the 75% mark, and another 6 before going to 50%.
I charged it after that, so I'm not sure if the 25% and 0% marks last longer, but if the same trend continued, that would mean I'd only get about 24 hours out of the player (which isn't entirely bad, seeing as my old iPod got less than that, but still not anywhere near the 60-something hours that Cowon claims)

I'm currently testing the battery, e.g. having a single 128-kbit song on repeat with the screen off, and seeing how long it will actually last. Unfortunately I won't be able to complete the test, so I'll probably try again in a few days...

Now, according to this post on iAudiophile, this guy got about 20 hours for the first 25%, 8 for the second, 3 for the third, and 9 for the fourth. Is it possible that the last two quarters of my J3's battery life will perform better than the first two?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-21-2010, 06:47 PM

I guess its possible, just wait and see. You know I keep reading about battery problems with Cowons. . . also I had two i7s which were completely messed up as far as the battery goes. . .

Test it multiple times and if the battery power is still really sad, send it in to be fixed or replaced. . .

Old 08-21-2010, 09:10 PM

don't worry about your battery life if you only charged it a couple of times.

although there are manufacturers out there who pre-charge batteries to bring them to their full capacity after being charged by the customer the first time, cowon (and other companies as well) pretty much leaves the battery alone, so you've got to charge the battery a few times to bring it to full capacity.

i think you need at least 2 or 3 (maybe more?) charge cycles to bring that battery to full capacity.

if, however, the battery stays at a low capacity after multiple charges you may need to start to worry and may have to rma it.

Old 08-23-2010, 01:16 AM

It says in the manual that it's better for the battery to be charged periodically as opposed to letting it drain down first. The first thing I did when I took my J3 out of it's box was put it on the charger and allowed it to charge completley before I started playing with it. Lots of people are too impatient and will turn their devices on the second they open them just to check them out. That is bad. Since I've had my J3 (for over a month now) I've only had to recharge it twice. That's after playing countless hours of music on a daily basis and about six or seven movies. I recharge it when it gets down to around 40 to 50 percent. I got no complaints with the battery life on this device.

Old 08-26-2010, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genius314 View Post
Hi.
I'm currently testing the battery, e.g. having a single 128-kbit song on repeat with the screen off, and seeing how long it will actually last. Unfortunately I won't be able to complete the test, so I'll probably try again in a few days...

Now, according to this post on iAudiophile, this guy got about 20 hours for the first 25%, 8 for the second, 3 for the third, and 9 for the fourth. Is it possible that the last two quarters of my J3's battery life will perform better than the first two?
Same issue with the Battery I tested today 32GB, No External Card, Level 1 Brightness with Screen on a few times and it got me about 6 hours playing MP3 320 without enhancements and the Battery Meter went down to about 25%, definitely no go. I get around the same battery time with my aging A2, am sending it back tomorrow . I also had the issue with the Raised corner.

Old 08-26-2010, 02:15 AM

again, how many times did you charge it?

the battery won't reach it's full capacity after at least 3 or 4 cycles, iinm.

the first charge will not be sufficient as cowon will not perform the "initial" charge, afaiu it.

if, however you've been charging this thing for the 5th. 6th... time, you may want to rma it.

Old 08-26-2010, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadohiosky View Post

again, how many times did you charge it?

the battery won't reach it's full capacity after at least 3 or 4 cycles, iinm.

the first charge will not be sufficient as cowon will not perform the "initial" charge, afaiu it.

if, however you've been charging this thing for the 5th. 6th... time, you may want to rma it.
I have had it for the last 3 weeks, I have charged it more than 10 times now I waited thinking it would fix with multiple charges, butt.. I even got the AC charger just to be sure.

Old 08-26-2010, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macneil View Post
I have had it for the last 3 weeks, I have charged it more than 10 times now I waited thinking it would fix with multiple charges, butt.. I even got the AC charger just to be sure.
well then, unfortunately it seems that your battery is indeed faulty and you need to rma it.

Black Cowon J3 32 GB (Black Ringke Case) - no lousy Sennheiser CX 300 anymore, Pana HJE 900 took the throne... for keeps

Old 08-26-2010, 06:44 PM

Sigh, its on its way.. its weird, but missing it already Well back to my A2 in the meantime.

Old 08-27-2010, 10:32 PM

Oh geez, I've been busy this week, almost forgot about this topic. Haha.

So the first few times I tested it, the battery would go down to 75% in like 6 hours. It's been like 7.5 hours now, and it's still at 100%, so I think it's improving. We shall see, though...

UPDATE: 45 hours and it just went down to 25%. Awesome. At this rate, it should die around 60 hours, but I'm not sure if I'm gonna actually wait for that to happen...

Last edited by Genius314; 08-29-2010 at 11:55 AM.