android
Go Back   abi>>forums > General Audio > Headphones

Old 08-21-2010, 09:23 AM

Arrow Right Sony Hybrid tips -> That good?

For the past few months I've seen a lot of people in this forum and others, talking about how good the Sony Hybrid tips are. According to most of them they get a very good fit when compared to regular silicon tips.

I'm writing this thread because I've got some doubts about it. At the moment I'm the owner of Head Direct RE0 and I'm using default tips. I'm not very happy with them, since I can't get a good fit on my left ear. The best I can get is using the big double-flanged silicon one, but the results aren't good, since with some wax production it starts to escape/slide out of my ear. If I really push them inside it creates a big vacuum and the sound just vanishes.

Ok, it seems like I'm running away from topic.

What I want to know, is if people who have tried those Sony Hybrid tips really notice a huge difference that justifies their price (9$ + shipping). My doubts come from some rare opinions I read here and there saying that they don't make so much difference. After all, they are just silicon single tips, right? Should the fit be that different from regular double flanged silicon tips?
Is their material that good, that they create good attrition in our ears and don't slide out, easily?

Questions, questions and more questions

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-21-2010, 10:13 AM

I found that the standard tips that came with my PFEs didn't fit so well - I'm between a M and L it seems - so I got some hybrids via ebay from a guy in Hawaii. The outer silicon (unlike the inner) is very soft and flexible, which helps the fit, therefore a distinct improvement.

In the end it's about fit - and ear canals are odd shapes. They worked for me, will they work for you? You'll never know until you try...

While we're on the subject, and apologies for going off-topic, but I have a very slight problem with the PFE/hybrid combination in that the hybrids don't seat very well on the PFE stalks - it's a tad loose. Would anybody have any tips* for improving this?

* - pun intended

Last edited by IanD; 08-21-2010 at 10:42 AM. Reason: PFE tips don't come in XL size

Old 08-21-2010, 10:20 AM

Yes, that's what I thought, of course nobody can tell me if they will improve the fit or not.

The thing, is if a change in tips providing a better (slight?) improve in the seal will improve that much the sound quality I'm getting.

Does anyone experience with the Sony tips, that fact I mentioned before, about the tips sliding of my ear because of the heat and slight humid ear wax. (I can't find good adjectives to describe it properly)
I mean, if outer silicon is that soft, I doubt they will stay on my ear for a long time.

Old 08-21-2010, 10:37 AM

Well, they improved the fit for me, and they have definitely never felt like they're going to fall out - but I can only speak for myself.

In general, if the seal is better the sound should be better - in particular the bass will suffer with a poor seal.

Old 08-21-2010, 10:52 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Sony tips have a ridiculous amount of size ranges. Which means that most that do not fit with stock tips will be satisfied with it.

Old 08-21-2010, 11:05 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Just keep in mind that some phones (like the PFE, or many dynamic driver phones) might lose some treble with the Sony hybrid tips, due to their smaller inner nozzle diameter.

Also, it's really annoying that Sony only sells the tips with four different sizes in the box - most people will only use one pair out of four, the rest is expensive junk.

Old 08-21-2010, 12:15 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I think you can custom order only a size from your Sony Style centre - or so that's how it rolls in Singapore.

Mostly because the only way of getting them is a custom order. They're classified as replacement parts, not accessories for some reason.

Old 08-21-2010, 01:00 PM

Does anyone know if they fit RE0, or has anyone ever tried this configuration? Just to make sure...

Apparently they can be bought from this seller with any configuration you want in terms of sizes. Scam alert? From what I've read around they are fakes, but almost identical to the real ones.

P.S - I'm not sure if I'm allowed to use that ebay link. If not, I'm sorry for that, and I'll remove it AFAP.

Old 08-21-2010, 02:51 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Sovesky, as far as I gathered from Head-Fi, those are indeed "fake" Sony tips, but they should be basically the same as the original ones. They do fit the RE0, but have a smaller diameter - I find the stock RE0 clear double flange tips and Ultimate Ears Super.Fi tips to give a better fit with the ~5mm nozzle of the RE0.

Rickysio, I don't know about Sony Style stuff in Europe, I've only seen (original) Sony Hybrid tips sold like this, which is a bit of a waste:

Old 08-21-2010, 03:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovesky View Post
Does anyone know if they fit RE0, or has anyone ever tried this configuration? Just to make sure...

Apparently they can be bought from this seller with any configuration you want in terms of sizes. Scam alert? From what I've read around they are fakes, but almost identical to the real ones.

P.S - I'm not sure if I'm allowed to use that ebay link. If not, I'm sorry for that, and I'll remove it AFAP.
was gonna link that guy, they are "knockoffs" but quite good knockoff's

I use hybrids with my pl-50's and they are FAR better then the stock tips(despite the 50's coming with an insain range of sizes)

one thing to remember about the hybrids is that you will probably want to carry around some qtips or even moist towlets(like some fast food places give you) so you can wipe them down, this is true for other tips to but the hybrids have a smaller nozel then others.

I would recomend getting the sony kit, then you can find what tips work best for you, once you know, order replacements from lostearbuds so you have some extras(all in the size you would want to use.

He also offers other styles that may be better for your re0's tho, you may want to check that out.

Old 08-21-2010, 03:33 PM
Ultra Senior Member

In the USA, the Sony Hybrids come packaged exactly as in dfkt's pic. And while I totally understand the point about waste/size in the package, tbh, for me it was kind of a boon - I was able to try a variety of sizes just for kicks, settling on a combination of Med/Large on my VBs.

But yeah, the rest kinda sit there

As for the quality, I don't have much experience with tips yet, these being the first aftermarket set I have ever purchased - till now, the default tips were sufficient for me [mostly cause I didn't know/care as much about this stuff before].

FWIW, I get a great seal from the Hybrids. No probs with slippage at all and they are comfortable as hell.

It did take some elbow grease to get them on the Hippo VB nozzle, but they do fit.
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 08-21-2010, 03:45 PM

dfkt,

I'm impressed with your response. I use large bi-flange tips on my left ear and small single flange on my right ear, and the truth is that my bi-flange are always falling off the nozzle. That's one of the reasons I'm looking for alternative tips.

Thank you all for your help, I'll buy some of these fake ones since they come really cheap for 4€/5€. If they fail their job, it won't be a huge loss.

Old 08-21-2010, 03:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
dfkt,

I'm impressed with your response. I use large bi-flange tips on my left ear and small single flange on my right ear, and the truth is that my bi-flange are always falling off the nozzle. That's one of the reasons I'm looking for alternative tips.

Thank you all for your help, I'll buy some of these fake ones since they come really cheap for 4€/5€. If they fail their job, it won't be a huge loss.
if u know the size you want he will ship all that size, if not get the default of a mix

Old 08-21-2010, 04:25 PM

The thing is that I never tried them and I have no idea what's the right size for my ears. Besides, my left ear canal is strangely much bigger than my right ear.

Old 08-21-2010, 04:30 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
The thing is that I never tried them and I have no idea what's the right size for my ears. Besides, my left ear canal is strangely much bigger than my right ear.
Not that strange - many of us have the same thing

In fact there is an ABi "social" group dedicated to just this phenomenon = join us at "Lopsiders" lol

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...php?groupid=54
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Last edited by lestatar; 08-22-2010 at 01:14 AM.

Old 08-21-2010, 04:34 PM
Banned

yeah, thats why i normally tell most people to get a retail set of hybrids, figuar out what size/sizes work best for you, then order the lostearbuds ones in the size/sizes you need, so you dont endup with a stack of tips you wont have any use for.

if you use 2 dif sizes you will have 2 sets out of the sony pack that will work for you, the rest you can ebay or just give away/trade on here or some other forum.

Old 08-21-2010, 09:41 PM
Ultra Senior Member

These Sony hybrid tips sound very interesting. Is there a way to easily determine which earphones they are likely to fit?

For example, I have JVC Marshmallows, and JVC Air Cushions. Would they be appropriate for them?

Thanks, Steve

Old 08-21-2010, 09:45 PM
Banned

I THINK you could modify them/the phones to make them fit, not 100% sure on the air cushions, they are for smaller nozzle iem's like the pl-50's.

You can check this thread, not sure if it will help but u can also search the forums for more info
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/...er-added-08-18

Old 08-21-2010, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeZ5 View Post
These Sony hybrid tips sound very interesting. Is there a way to easily determine which earphones they are likely to fit?

For example, I have JVC Marshmallows, and JVC Air Cushions. Would they be appropriate for them?

Thanks, Steve
The sony hybrid tips are sized for 3.5mm diameter nozzles. The marshmallows are 5mm and the air cushions are 5.5mm in their diameters, so no, the hybrids won't for those IEMs. At least they shouldn't, though dfkt and lestatar have had success fitting the hybrids onto the 5.5mm hippo VB. In my case I wasn't able to do it. YYMV.
Pulvis et umbra sumus.
-Horace

Old 08-22-2010, 12:21 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I was able to fit a Sony-styled Hybrid tip (aka Imitation) on my HJE900, and my VB. Silicon stretches, after all!