android
Old 08-19-2010, 10:29 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Default Headphone suggestions?

Hey guys, I need some new phones. I'm looking for some earbuds and wanted to know what you guys all use and/or like with your ZuneHD. Sub-$100 price would be nice, but I wouldn't mind splurging a little bit if they're fantastic quality phones.

I know there's a headphones forum (and have been lurking there for a while now) but would like to know what you guys have to say about what works well with your ZuneHDs.

Thanks in advance

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-19-2010, 11:10 PM

Honestly I have the Zune premium headphones and they sound pretty great. Microsoft even gave them to me for free when the ones that came with my HD broke. They have pretty good crisp sound and a deep bass and come with a couple different size earbuds and a cool carrying pouch.

Old 08-20-2010, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomRoot13 View Post
Honestly I have the Zune premium headphones and they sound pretty great. Microsoft even gave them to me for free when the ones that came with my HD broke. They have pretty good crisp sound and a deep bass and come with a couple different size earbuds and a cool carrying pouch.
The ones they gave me just broke. How did you manage this, now?

Old 08-20-2010, 12:13 AM

look up 128headphones on ebay. truly my favorite seller on e-bay. Awesome V-moda in ear headphones. (this sounds like an advertisement... i'm not related with them. honest. xD)

Old 08-20-2010, 01:04 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Thanks for the quick responses, but one bit of info I'd like to know that I should've included in my initial post: how well do they insulate outside noise? This is the main reason I can't just use the freebies. They don't offer enough insulation, so when I'm doing things with a lot of background noise (like mowing my lawn) i find myself turning up the volume, and I'm afraid I'm going to hurt my ears. (and yes, technically I should be fine below 120db... but they leave my ears ringing, and that can't be good, I figure?)

Old 08-20-2010, 01:11 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Hey steinburger...AFAIK, the Zune should have zero issues driving most headphones [and I am assuming you are looking for IEMs?].

I have read that the Zune IEMs do sound pretty good.

In the sub-100USD category, do check the Hippo VBs. Yeah, I am a huge fan but they really are that good.

The Panasonic HJE900 are the new fave here at ABi - some have called them the IEM of all IEMs, a bargain at 150USD. I plan to get a pair myself soon.

Lots of other great phones out there for you to consider. I assume you have read the reviews here and these threads?
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=15243

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...hread.php?t=69

Besides price, important clue for getting good suggestions is what kind of music you generally listen to...

cheers and good luck,
-lestatar
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 08-20-2010, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallenArms3 View Post
The ones they gave me just broke. How did you manage this, now?
If you're still under 1 year manufacturer's warranty just call Zune support and tell them your headphones broke. I was expecting them to send me some of the same ones but was very surprised when the package arrive and they were Zune premiums. Thank you Microsoft. That's customer service.
On the other hand, Zune premiums are noise isolating. If you really try the buds out and find a size that fits your ears well they block out almost all exterior noise and you can hear your music clearly at a low volume. I usually never go above volume level 20 and that's while walking down the street with construction and typical street noise.

Old 08-20-2010, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomRoot13 View Post
If you're still under 1 year manufacturer's warranty just call Zune support and tell them your headphones broke. I was expecting them to send me some of the same ones but was very surprised when the package arrive and they were Zune premiums. Thank you Microsoft. That's customer service.
On the other hand, Zune premiums are noise isolating. If you really try the buds out and find a size that fits your ears well they block out almost all exterior noise and you can hear your music clearly at a low volume. I usually never go above volume level 20 and that's while walking down the street with construction and typical street noise.
Thanks, I'll give it a shot.

Old 08-20-2010, 10:01 AM

I've had my ZuneHD for just over a year, and the headphone stoped working properly a few months into that. Is it to late to request a replacement pair?

BTW Im in Canada, will that be a problem?

Old 08-20-2010, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by syst3m View Post
I've had my ZuneHD for just over a year, and the headphone stoped working properly a few months into that. Is it to late to request a replacement pair?

BTW Im in Canada, will that be a problem?
How is this possible? The ZuneHD was released on September 15 of last year. You still should have about a month left but I'm not sure if they will mail it to your location.

Old 08-20-2010, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fgiriun View Post
How is this possible? The ZuneHD was released on September 15 of last year. You still should have about a month left but I'm not sure if they will mail it to your location.
lol whoops. I was thinking that I went down to the states in the summer to get it, forgot that there was snow on the ground at the time.

Update: Seems that my Canadian address isn't a problem.

Last edited by syst3m; 08-20-2010 at 11:17 AM.

Old 08-20-2010, 01:30 PM

westone um1's!

Old 08-20-2010, 04:09 PM

LOL, I can really see people breaking their headphones for this. I would go for it. stock 'phones are crap anyway, if it doesn't work, just buy some decent ones.

Old 08-20-2010, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satellite_6 View Post
LOL, I can really see people breaking their headphones for this. I would go for it. stock 'phones are crap anyway, if it doesn't work, just buy some decent ones.
You don't have to break your headphones to take advantage of this. They don't require you to send in your old phones so they don't need to actually be broken.

I called the support # a few months ago and just told them the sound was cutting in and out on my headphones. They asked for my serial # and stuff. About 5 minutes later the CSR said I had a new set of phones on the way free of charge.

They are way better than the stock phones. In fact I was surprised when the HD didn't come with the premium phones since I thought the later versions of the old Zune came with the premium set. I got in on Ultimate Ears sale/giveaway a few weeks ago, so I use the UE 700's as my main IEMs, but I still use the Zune phones for things like mowing the lawn.

Old 08-20-2010, 05:37 PM
Ultra Senior Member

If you want good quality IEM's, then might I suggest the Sennheiser CX300 or CX500. I am a HUGE fan of these (of Sennheiser headphones in general), they work GREAT with my Zune HD. Here are the CX300's and here are the CX500's
These are the only IEM's I have, and I absolutely love them and really suggest that you check them out before buying the Zune Premium headphones, which probably aren't as good.

Retired Devices:
Sansa Fuze 8+16GB Rockboxed

Old 08-20-2010, 07:12 PM

Do some research on the Ultimate Ears line of IEM's they have a wide range of quality and price ranges. I use the SuperFi5 Pros have had them for almost 5 years. They are simply amazing. They run 250.00 on Amazon right now. They have models much less expensive. An investment in quality will serve you well for years to come. It seems price does equal quality in the IEM arena.

Old 08-20-2010, 07:32 PM

@McDougal I think buying those headphones from Amazon is fake, correct me if I'm wrong but the headphones look alittle different from the official website vs Amazon...

Old 08-20-2010, 07:48 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I highly doubt those are fakes, I bought mine on crutchfield maybe two or three years ago, back when they cost $50, however, and the ones I have are genuine. Those don't look like fakes to me, maybe the reason why they're so cheap is because they're a year or two old.

Retired Devices:
Sansa Fuze 8+16GB Rockboxed

Old 08-21-2010, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonrakerone View Post
look up 128headphones on ebay. truly my favorite seller on e-bay. Awesome V-moda in ear headphones. (this sounds like an advertisement... i'm not related with them. honest. xD)
I'll sort of vouch for this. You can't beat the price but the headphones are no longer covered by warranty and they've been sitting in a hot warehouse for about four years. I found out the hard way.

Old 08-21-2010, 01:58 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestatar View Post
*snip*
In the sub-100USD category, do check the Hippo VBs. Yeah, I am a huge fan but they really are that good.

The Panasonic HJE900 are the new fave here at ABi - some have called them the IEM of all IEMs, a bargain at 150USD. I plan to get a pair myself soon.

Lots of other great phones out there for you to consider. I assume you have read the reviews here and these threads?
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=15243

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...hread.php?t=69

Besides price, important clue for getting good suggestions is what kind of music you generally listen to...

cheers and good luck,
-lestatar
Yea, I've heard the Hippos are great and honestly I think that's what I'm leaning towards, and I would really rather keep it under a hundred, so the Panasonics are kind of out of my picture =/

As for what kind of music, I mostly listen to hard rock and metal, but with a good sampling of just about everything thrown in.

Thanks,