android
Old 08-19-2010, 02:20 PM

Cool Shuffle/repeat questions--new user :)

Brand new to my sansa clip+ (my first MP3 player). I have almost the max songs loaded--and shuffle and repeat turned on. Should all songs play once before they start repeating? Should I have repeat on or off? I'm not clear what repeat actually means...........I just want all songs to play randomly while I take my daily walk. Thanks!!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-19-2010, 02:41 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Hey Momcat, welcome to ABi and congratulations - a fine player you got there!

I don't have a clip+ yet, but pretty sure that shuffle will try and go through all the songs at least once before repeating. It depends on how good the algorithm on the Clip+ is.

Not sure though, so please wait for more experienced folks to answer as well...

enjoy the music and do not hesitate to post here in case you have questions/need help

cheers,
-lestatar
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 08-19-2010, 02:50 PM

Thanks so much for your response! I am a 'senior' by birth but a kindergartener w/ my newest toy I will await other replies as you suggested......my concern is that I have something on that shouldn't be, or visa versa, as my songs are repeating already, and more than one so I don't think there are duplicate songs on board.

Old 08-19-2010, 02:57 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Momcat, we are all kids in a candy store here :-D
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 08-19-2010, 03:46 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momcat View Post
Brand new to my sansa clip+ (my first MP3 player). I have almost the max songs loaded--and shuffle and repeat turned on. Should all songs play once before they start repeating? Should I have repeat on or off? I'm not clear what repeat actually means...........I just want all songs to play randomly while I take my daily walk. Thanks!!
Actually, I think you need to turn the repeat off, and just shuffle.

Old 08-19-2010, 03:55 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
Actually, I think you need to turn the repeat off, and just shuffle.
Hey, thinking about this, I believe Marvin has a good point.

Usually, I set repeat on my players if I want to hear the same album or track over and over.

For your purposes Momcat, where it sounds like you simply want different music/songs all the time, I think Shuffle is fine. It should theoretically go through all your songs once, without any repeats. Of course, this may not be perfect, but again, this depends on how good the shuffle algorithm is on the Sandisk players.

Hope this helps, but again, still wait for more confirmations on this
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 08-19-2010, 04:10 PM

Wink

Thanks again for your responses. I had the 'repeat' off but when it 'repeated' anyway I turned it on. Didn't seem to matter but makes sense to me that it should be off. I will 'off' it for tomorrow's walk and hope for a decent algorhythm .

As an aside, how can I get someone to fix the 'receive' misspelling above, next to my email addy? It's driving me mad!!!!

thanks again!

Old 08-19-2010, 04:29 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momcat View Post
...SNIPPED...As an aside, how can I get someone to fix the 'receive' misspelling above, next to my email addy? It's driving me mad!!!!

thanks again!
Hey there...not sure what you mean by this...actually, I have no idea what you mean . I don't think this is visible to us.

If it has to do with your profile for the site, you can click on USER CP in the upper left navigation area - from here you can edit your personal/profile info.

hth,
-lestatar
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 08-19-2010, 04:38 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestatar View Post
Hey there...not sure what you mean by this...actually, I have no idea what you mean . I don't think this is visible to us.

If it has to do with your profile for the site, you can click on USER CP in the upper left navigation area - from here you can edit your personal/profile info.

hth,
-lestatar
This is what she is referring to.....truth be told, I had to train myself not to look at it, because it bugs me too!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.jpg (61.4 KB, 15 views)

Old 08-19-2010, 04:42 PM

I've noticed that with shuffle, the player stops when it has played all the tracks. Having repeat:all on aswell seems to solve this, so it will keep playing randomly forever.

But I think that when you shut it off and on again, it has 'forgotten' which tracks were already played..

Oh and I also don't see 'receive' or my email address anywhere on this page?
EDIT: ooh yeah.. now that I see it again I did notice it before but it didn't bother me that much.. (English is not my native language) -ok that's a bad excuse but yes it has to go

Last edited by Brett_val; 08-19-2010 at 04:48 PM.

Old 08-19-2010, 04:55 PM
Ultra Senior Member

lmao!

I have never noticed that at all! So funny since I am a native english speaker and was an english minor in college...lol

Site Admins take note please:
The general rule is "i before e, except after c"....
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 08-19-2010, 05:49 PM

Default EEKS!

Thank you everyone for your responses! Makes sense that the player may forget what tracks it's played when turned off.........I have it on for 55 min then off till the next day. Hmmmm.........and it sounds like the consensus is to have 'repeat' on as well as shuffle? Oh my this is way more confusing than I anticipated!

And thanks for the validation w/ the 'receive' misspelling! Now let's hope someone fixes it

Old 08-20-2010, 12:08 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Welcome! And you could experiment with a handful of songs on your Clip and see what happens with repeat on and off, while shuffle is on. Different players may handle this differently. Candidly, I never get to the point that the shuffled list might need to repeat/start over, before I've shut the player off.

It definitely is a fun (and cute) toy.

Old 08-22-2010, 04:53 AM

I use the shuffle function most of the time in order to cycle through all of my songs as much as possible (bummer that the shuffle memory resets on each switch on). I suspect the algorithm is not the best as often I get the same artist 2-3 times within 5 songs played. I have about 550 tracks on the Clip+ so the chances of this happening should be extremely low.

Old 08-31-2010, 10:57 AM

I also have noticed that I will often hear the same artist several songs in a row. Glad for the validation--I can live w/ that knowing it's not MY player but perhaps a quirk in the algorhythm .

I see that the misspelling of 'receive' hasn't been addressed

Old 08-31-2010, 11:03 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I remember one day, hearing a song (studio version) immediately followed by the live version of the song from a different album....weird but it was actually kinda cool.

Old 08-31-2010, 03:10 PM

Momcat, if you or any of your litter are feeling tech... err... literate (), you can achieve the desired effect using Rockbox, an alternative firmware (i.e. the bit of software that controls your MP3 player).

The installation process is reversible if you don't like it, and not actually all that complex - but it perhaps helps if you know your way roughly around a computer. You should know that there is a very small chance of destroying your player by installing it, but it's so small that I think it's fair to say it's reasonable to ignore it completely.

If you'd like more information on this option, we can happily provide it.

Tags
new user, repeat, shuffle