android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Cowon iAudio > Cowon J3 > Cowon J3 Firmware

Old 08-17-2010, 04:49 AM

Default Cowon J3 Firmware 2.22 (8/17/10): fixes Matrix Browser album art

About to install and test 2.22.

According to Cowon:

- Fixed the error that switched MicroSD card was not recognized while COWON J3 was on.

- Fixed the error of displaying AlbumArt in Matrix browser.

I must confess, I don't understand their first statement. Perhaps it pertains to the M3U playlist problem, which required (up until now) that the external card be removed before the first re-boot following create/update M3U playlists in order to get them processed correctly.

Or... who knows what it means.

But the second statement certainly suggests that they've fixed the 2.21 problem which failed to invoked [check albums] at boot time, which would have resulted in maintenance of the AB_nnn.jpg 95x95 JPG album art images that get used by Matrix Browser.

I will know for myself very shortly.

----

EDIT:

Site: http://www.cowonglobal.com/zeroboard...?id=C08&no=416
Direct download: http://www.cowonglobal.com/download/...ON_J3_2.22.zip

- dfkt

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-17-2010, 04:58 AM

Ok... absolutely fixed the Matrix Browser album art issue.

The [check albums] function now is absolutely invoked at boot time with 2.22, and this populates all of the AB_nnn.jpg 95x95 album art files in \System\MusicDB.

And this happens for both internal storage and external storage at [check albums] time.

===>> Matrix Browser now works fine again.

Old 08-17-2010, 05:14 AM

Ok... absolutely DOES NOT FIX the M3U playlist problem which requires that the external card be removed before the first re-boot after creating/modifying/saving an M3U playlist.

Unfortunately, this problem still exists.

So if you don't remove the external card first that new M3U playlist file will still NOT be analyzed and cached correctly (or, perhaps it is MIS-analyzed and cached, but incorrectly... thus resulting in "No file" forever and ever and ever after).

And thus the M3U playlist [mis-]analyzed and cached will still appear under [Playlists] with its ".M3U" extension showing, and you will still get "No file" (forever and ever and ever after).

NOTE: to repair this problem, you first need to delete the [mis-]analyzed M3U playlist, then re-create it and save it into \Playlists, then be sure the external card is removed temporarily, then re-boot the J3 to analyze/cache the re-created M3U playlist properly, and now you're in business. And you can now reinsert the external card.

Again, it still is necessary to remove the external card before that crucial first re-boot. If you do that, the M3U playlist WILL be analyzed/cached properly, and the M3U playlist WILL show up under [Playlists] without its ".M3U" extension showing, and it WILL work correctly.

And then you can reinsert the external card.

Old 08-17-2010, 05:30 AM

awesome but i think they fixed some other bug other than the playlist one.

lazy link can be found here

http://www.cowonglobal.com/download/...ON_J3_2.22.zip

straight from cowonglobal.com

Old 08-17-2010, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crodz View Post
awesome but i think they fixed some other bug other than the playlist one.
I couldn't understand their English, but they do say they fixed some second issue.

It definitely has nothing to do with the M3U playlist, but I wasn't aware of something relating to doing something with the external card when the J3 was powered on.

Just couldn't understand what they were describing.

Old 08-17-2010, 07:55 AM

By "switched MicroSD card" they probably mean some issue when one swaps one SD card for another during operation. I only have one SD card full of music, I can't verify that.

Old 08-17-2010, 10:05 AM

if they fixed the playlist as well as album art then it has to be called the firmware "DSperber"

Old 08-19-2010, 11:48 AM
Ultra Senior Member

There was an issue (I had it) when you transfer a playlist over to the J3's microSD card - it caused the J3 to display over 17,000 video files on mine (I have none, I deleted the sample vids). I did the playlist as a sync list for using w/Media Monkey - so I didn't really need it. I deleted the "Playlists" folder on my microSD card and everything is 100% normal. This also occurred w/the FW that was originally on the J3 - I didn't bother to remember the FW number though, sorry.

Old 08-26-2010, 05:14 AM

V2.22 does not show embedded art in .wma files. It does fix the 24 hour clock issue.
If the J3 goes mad and shows 1000's of video files (it thinks that your mp3 files are video). Then use the reset button to make it boot correctly (V2.10). If you add files you must reset via the button/hole to make it work.

Why Cowon won't separate file types is beyond me. Why does the unit treat Audio books as Music?

Old 08-26-2010, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xul View Post
V2.22 does not show embedded art in .wma files. It does fix the 24 hour clock issue.
If the J3 goes mad and shows 1000's of video files (it thinks that your mp3 files are video). Then use the reset button to make it boot correctly (V2.10). If you add files you must reset via the button/hole to make it work.

Why Cowon won't separate file types is beyond me. Why does the unit treat Audio books as Music?

I've never had any luck with .wma files. The album art didn't really work with my .wma files and the order of the tracks never showed up properly. I converted all my .wma's to mp3 and haven't had any problems since.

The audio books is a little irritating too. They always show up in the matrix browser with the rest of my music. I wish they would stay in a category of their own.