android
Old 08-13-2010, 03:54 AM

Default Matrix Browser Album Art + Clear 3M Bra ?

Hi! =)

I have 2 questions,

1.At the moment, is the no-album-art a permanent problem in J3's version 2.21 firmware? At the moment, I haven't found any way of fixing it =S I've renamed all jpgs to cover.jpg, reloaded my music..to no avail D= haha.

2. I read somewhere, I forgot where, a while back that this 'clear 3m bra' thing is an option for j3 protection, but for some reason I also vaguely remember it being car protection, unless I remembered wrong. Has anyone used this before who finds it useful? =D I'm planning on buying the official protector for now, but if it ever wears out, I'll get that stuff in the future if it's recommended.

Thanks =)

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-13-2010, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justing943 View Post
1.At the moment, is the no-album-art a permanent problem in J3's version 2.21 firmware? At the moment, I haven't found any way of fixing it =S I've renamed all jpgs to cover.jpg, reloaded my music..to no avail
I am running 2.21 and have no problem whatsoever with album art, both in normal portrait-mode player presentation as well as in landscape-mode Matrix Browser (and even when then tapping on any of the 10 album covers shown, so that it now appears larger on the left side of the horizontal presentation with all tracks in the album folder on the right side.

I also had no problem with the previous 2.10 firmware and album art.

All of my album art is cover.jpg, one image file per album folder (and I have almost 1000 album folders spread across both internal and external storage).

I have no album art imbedded inside of ID3 tags of any MP3 file.

I normally play music by using the "Music" icon to get started, and not the "Browser" icon. From that "Music" entry, I navigate back up to the ID3 information browser and generally select [Artists], and then navigate to the artist I want and tap it, and then select the album I want and tap it, and then select a track and tap it to enter the portrait-mode player. Album art always appears.

And if I then rotate the player the 10 cells of Matrix Browser appear (initially with just a music note in them, but quickly they repopulate with 10 album art covers).

Sorry... it's always worked for me. 2.21 is not a problem.

Old 08-13-2010, 06:19 PM

Ah okay =( It's just that I also read in the J3 bug thread that 2.21 killed the matrix album art =S Maybe I'll just try reinstalling the firmware and see how it does, thanks!

Old 08-13-2010, 07:46 PM
Redneck Moderator

I use 3M clear bra on most my electronics and it doesn't effect the J3/S9.

Old 08-14-2010, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post
I am running 2.21 and have no problem whatsoever with album art
Have you installed any new music since the update? 2.21 will still show the artwork but only if you've installed music before the update. Try deleting you ALBUMINF file from the MusicDB in the System folder and rebooting and see if all your album art is still there. I bet you money it won't be unless you have some magical J3.

Old 08-14-2010, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrathchild View Post
Have you installed any new music since the update? 2.21 will still show the artwork but only if you've installed music before the update. Try deleting you ALBUMINF file from the MusicDB in the System folder and rebooting and see if all your album art is still there. I bet you money it won't be unless you have some magical J3.
Well, turns out you are absolutely correct here.

I had not added any new music (or album folders) since early July. My upgrade from 2.10 to 2.21 was in late July. So the entire \System\MusicDB folder and its contents was dated some time back.

I just did what you suggested, and deleted not only the ALBUMINF.DB file from \MusicDB, but I also deleted all of the little "mini-album art JPGs" which are in that folder. These are the 95x95 versions of whatever COVER.JPG album art you might have in your album folders (or, I assume, extracted JPG art from within the APIC frames in your ID3 tags, if you've taken that approach).

These "mini-album art JPGs" have file names of the form ab_n.jpg, and are obviously what is used (either directly, or further resized) whenever the J3 needs to display album art... because my COVER.JPG album art is mostly 500x500. Also, these album art pictures are sized differently on the J3's screen depending on whether they're used in portrait mode, landscape mode (left side), or Matrix Browser (2x5 array).

Anyway, my \MusicDB folder was now completely empty. No ALBUMINF.DB nor any AB_n.jpg mini-albums.

I then re-booted the 2.21 J3, and sure enough... as you predicted my Matrix Browser view did NOT show any of the expected 2x5 album art images in the tiles. I examined \MusicDB and it appears that only the ALBUMINF.DB file was rebuilt. NONE of the AB_n.jpg 95x95 images were rebuilt, and this is what appears to be the crucial flaw here which prevents Matrix Browser from showing any album art images.

And yet, I DID still show album art in portrait mode (normal playing of music), as well as in landscape mode (rotating J3 horizontally and then tap on one of the "empty" (only shows music note placeholder) 2x5 cells in Matrix browser, to show that album art and track list in landscape mode.

So, we must conclude that the normal larger portrait mode player album art presented is actually coming directly from a realtime re-size of the COVER.JPG (or ID3) art... having nothing to do with the AB_n.jpg 95x95 mini-album JPGs in \MusicDB. Same with what gets shown when you tap on one of the 2x5 Matrix Browser mini-album JPGs (theoretically showing) and get into landscape mode, with larger album art on the left side. Again, that obviously must be a true realtime re-size of COVER.JPG. It has to be this way, since Matrix Browser itself is NOT showing any of the mini-album 95x95 JPGs in its 2x5 array.

And therefore, we must also conclude that it is these AB_n.jpg 95x95 mini-album pictures which are being used specifically by Matrix Browser for its display. They are clearly supposed to be built along with ALBUMINF.DB, but obviously something about 2.21 is preventing that from happening.

Obviously only if they exist can they be displayed, and if they don't exist then the 2x5 Matrix Browser display shows only the placeholder music note images in each cell. But ALBUMINF.DB itself seems to be built correctly by 2.21, and larger size album art (for portrait and horizontal players) still seems to work fine... apparently being a realtime re-size of the true COVER.JPG art.

Ok... I then reloaded the 2.10 firmware BIN files on the J3 root folder, and rebooted. The update completed.

I then re-booted the J3, and sure enough this time there occurred was what obviously is the crucial step in this process, which did NOT occur when the J3 was booted using 2.21 after cleaning out \MusicDB: [check albums]. This step appeared with 2.10 installed, and took some time to complete. Obviously the AB_n.jpg files were being rebuilt now.

And sure enough, when that first 2.10 re-boot finished, sure enough Matrix Browser worked again. And examining the \MusicDB folder, sure enough all of those AB_n.jpg 95x95 image files now existed (which is clearly why Matrix Browser works).

Powering off the J3 and powering it back on, the [check albums] step was this time NOT performed (since it wasn't really necessary, as I hadn't made any changes to the music files on the J3).

Now just to develop a few more data points on this anomaly, I once again deleted all of the contents of \MusicDB. I also restored the 2.21 firmware files to the J3.

And I also deleted three album folders from under \Music, so that the next re-boot of the J3 should discover this and rebuild various things it would otherwise not need to do (thus affecting re-boot time).

I then re-booted the J3, got the new 2.21 firmware reinstalled, re-booted again and noticed that the crucial [check albums] step did NOT appear during the boot process.

And sure enough, the only thing rebuilt in \MusicDB is the ALBUMINF.DB file. None of the AB_n.jpg files are created.

I then re-copied (from my PC hard drive) those three album folders I'd deleted for this test, and re-booted. Since the file content of the J3's internal storage had changed I would have expected a re-scan of internal storage (at least to re-index the ID3 tags), which you'd think would have also forced the [check albums] step.

Well, NOT.

Yes, the ID3 tag scan was done, and the newly re-copied three music album folders now re-appeared under [Artists], etc. However the [check albums] step was STILL not performed at boot time, and \MusicDB STILL only shows ALBUMINF.DB. None of the AB-n.jpg mini-album images are present, and thus Matrix Browser has nothing to display. But of course the larger realtime re-sized COVER.JPG album art images (even for the three re-copied albums) work fine in portrait player mode and in landscape player mode (tapped from the empty cells of Matrix Browser).

==> so it absolutely does look like there is a problem with the 2.21 firmware, with respect to its failure to reinitiate the [check albums] step at boot time. And this results in the failure to develop any AB_n.jpg mini-album art image files (i.e. 95x95 resized versions of COVER.JPG), so that Matrix Browser has nothing to display.

Apparently Matrix Browser was written to quickly populate its 2x5 array from these previously created AB_n.jpg 95x95 mini-album images. In contrast, the portrait and landscape player programs were written to just re-size COVER.JPG in realtime.

Interesting. Didn't know this until now. (I'm about to send one more "bug" report about this to Cowonglobal.com)

Note that whether it's from COVER.JPG or from imbedded APIC art in the ID3 tag that album art is obtained, I'm sure it's all the same problem with 2.21... simply failing to perform the [check albums] step at boot time which is when those AB_n.jpg 95x95 resizes are produced for use by Matrix Browser. In contrast, the actual portrait/landscape players to realtime re-size of the original album art (either COVER.JPG or ID3 tag), so they do not depend on AB_n.jpg in \MusicDB, and so they still work in 2.21.

Old 08-16-2010, 12:50 PM

hey everyone? any updated info on this situation?

Old 08-16-2010, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonatello View Post
hey everyone? any updated info on this situation?
I sent in a bug report to Cowonglobal.com the other day.

Response posted today:

----------------------------------------------

"Thank you for using COWON J3.

"It has been reported to our research team. They aware of this issue and it will be fixed in next firmware.
Thanks again for using the customer support at cowonglobal.com.

Regards,
COWON"

---------------------------------------------------

In the meantime, if you must do anything... probably back-leveling to 2.10 firmware is the easiest thing to do. For me there's nothing really in 2.21 that's of any real consequence. For me getting the clock to keep better time isn't really critical for me, though it is a good fix... but I'd rather have working Matrix Browser album art.

Alternatively, since we don't know exactly when the "next firmware version" will come out, you could go back to 2.10 an re-boot, thus re-building all of the AB_nnn.jpg 95x95 images in \MusicDB which are required by Matrix Browser, then re-load 2.21. Since all of the required AB_nnn.jpg files are now going to be found by 2.21's Matrix Browser (even though 2.21's boot process didn't build them) you will once again have Album Art showing in Matrix Browser with 2.21.

Up to you.

But it does appear that Cowon's now truly aware of the problem, and does plan to fix it.

Old 08-17-2010, 02:47 AM

Thanks for all the replies The Matrix browser problem doesn't bother me much, so I'll prob wait till next update.

For the clear 3m thing, what is it exactly? :O I'm going to use the official one for now, and buy some of that stuff in the future when my current protector wears out beyond use.

Thanks =)

Old 08-17-2010, 05:19 AM

NOTE: new firmware 2.22 release by Cowon tonight (8/17/2010).

This firmware DOES fix the Matrix Browser album art problem. In fact, the critical [check albums] function now IS performed at boot time... which results in all of the AB_nnn.jpg 95x95 album art images used by Matrix Browser to get correctly built into \System\MusicDB.

===>> Matrix Browser now once again does work properly, and album art appears correctly in all 2x5 cells.

Old 08-18-2010, 02:39 AM

Awesome !!!