android
Go Back   abi>>forums > Site Related > MP3 Player News

Old 10-09-2010, 06:20 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebellium View Post
Is that the whole discography of Justin Bieber-like artists encoded in WAV?
Don't forget all the WAV rips of N.K.O.T.B. he has as well, including encodes of all their mall releases.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-09-2010, 06:32 PM

There's nobody like Justin Bieber, there's only one Justin Bieber. She sings so beautifully.

Old 10-09-2010, 09:54 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Heh, nice, but it's a waste of a perfectly good bottle of water.

Old 10-10-2010, 12:58 PM
Ultra Senior Member

BTW: Since I realize I was more than interested in the gigantic Colorfly, I think I may find a place in my heart for the Cowon X7. The wait for a USA release has begun.

Old 10-10-2010, 01:04 PM

What changed your mind after all the various fail posts you made

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 10-11-2010, 07:55 AM

This X7 just sucks, and it's a Cowon Addict opinion !

Old 10-11-2010, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
I have over 1.5TB of music and gave up long ago on carrying everything and the kitchen sink with me. I'm content with anything above ~20GB - but that's just me of course, YMMV.

It's laudable that Cowon dare releasing an HDD player in 2010, as the only brand-name alternative to the iPod Classic, more or less. It's also understandable that it has to be broader/wider than a flash player, to accommodate a 1.8" HDD and a battery that keeps up with that.

But the way they executed it is more than questionable. Instead of using the form factor to improve on their crappy video players by making the X7 a hybrid of the J3, V5, and something like the A3 (especially since that storage space would be more than perfect for video needs), they use a shitty outdated screen instead of an adequate 800x480 AMOLED or SLCD, they remove the hardware buttons that make a player useful on the go, and they don't support any modern video formats at all. So it's neither fish nor flesh, it has neither the right form factor or usability for an audio player, nor is it anywhere close to what one would expect of a halfway decent video player in 2010.

The UI looks awfully 'cute' and 'Korean' again, like the O2 or V5, not 'western' like the J3. But I see faint traces of the J3 UI in the X7, so maybe they didn't fuck that aspect up completely, as with their video players. Firmware might be a bit of a saving grace for the severely outdated, disappointing, and badly designed hardware. That is, if it acts like the J3 for both audio and video playback - which is way ahead of any other player they released so far.

I will never understand the way Cowon runs in circles while shooting themselves in the foot, all at once.
I understand that, but there's nothing else in the market that fulfills my needs like this does. It has some pretty deep flaws, we can see that - but to me, none of them are dealbreaking flaws. I'm used to only a few tactile buttons, I don't need a high resolution, I hardly ever watch videos on the go. It has Cowon sound quality, it has massive capacity, it has lossless support and it has very impressive battery life (Hell, if even lasts half that I'll be happy) - for me, it's perfect.

Old 10-11-2010, 11:36 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
What changed your mind after all the various fail posts you made
Sorry to confuse you WG, but I realized something. If I could want the Colorfly, and it's a huge outdated (though gorgeous IMO) brick, then I could also enjoy the X7 just as well. I know it's big, and certain aspects of it are a bit archaic, but the pros outweigh the cons for me.

It's still decent for watching videos (my vision isn't what it used to be), it's going to have the great Cowon SQ I'm now addicted to, the battery life is longer than anything on the market (it's not going to prob be close to the claimed specs - but even half will kick azz), it's got mucho capacity - so I can carry all my tunes + a very solid amount of video as well, and I'll be the ONLY person on the NYC transit system rockin' it.

Really, I may see flaws, but I actually liked the O2. This reminds me of it, but w/the ability to read id3 tags for my LAME files. Sony, Sammy, and Sansa have nothing to compare it to, and the touch has too low a capacity, battery life that's lacking, an the SQ can't compete w/the Cowon goodness (using the EQ, since they all pretty much sound the same flat, and I luv me some EQ). The screen is good on the touch - but 3.5" isn't cutting it for my vision nowadays.

I don't think I'll regret buying the X7 when it's finally released, I'll regret buying something else if I don't get it.

Old 10-22-2010, 05:26 PM

Quote:
I have over 1.5TB of music and gave up long ago on carrying everything and the kitchen sink with me. I'm content with anything above ~20GB - but that's just me of course, YMMV.

It's laudable that Cowon dare releasing an HDD player in 2010, as the only brand-name alternative to the iPod Classic, more or less. It's also understandable that it has to be broader/wider than a flash player, to accommodate a 1.8" HDD and a battery that keeps up with that.

But the way they executed it is more than questionable. Instead of using the form factor to improve on their crappy video players by making the X7 a hybrid of the J3, V5, and something like the A3 (especially since that storage space would be more than perfect for video needs), they use a shitty outdated screen instead of an adequate 800x480 AMOLED or SLCD, they remove the hardware buttons that make a player useful on the go, and they don't support any modern video formats at all. So it's neither fish nor flesh, it has neither the right form factor or usability for an audio player, nor is it anywhere close to what one would expect of a halfway decent video player in 2010.

The UI looks awfully 'cute' and 'Korean' again, like the O2 or V5, not 'western' like the J3. But I see faint traces of the J3 UI in the X7, so maybe they didn't fuck that aspect up completely, as with their video players. Firmware might be a bit of a saving grace for the severely outdated, disappointing, and badly designed hardware. That is, if it acts like the J3 for both audio and video playback - which is way ahead of any other player they released so far.

I will never understand the way Cowon runs in circles while shooting themselves in the foot, all at once.
I'm glad I read this before posting. +10 on your points and goodness gracious at 1.5TB of music!

I'm not certain it's a good sign when a company is releasing old tech amidst 2010/2011 developments which seems to go against current demand or at a minimum consumer expectations in build, functionality and all around design/form factor. How do you release the J3 and then release this? I'm seriously baffled.

I personally could however see this replacing a fully functional A2 which was my single most regrettable PMP sale. No Wi-Fi and no microSD slot though COWON? really mates? How do you look around at the market with ARM Cortex-A8 architecture, Hummingbird etc and decide Pentium III?

I could go on but may have to eat certain words in a week or two if I order this. DEAR COWON...please some taking the piss and get your soddy business together mates!

Old 10-22-2010, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
(cut)....and I'll be the ONLY person on the NYC transit system rockin' it(end cut)....
Not so sure about that - I'm still undecided but leaning fast

Old 10-22-2010, 07:51 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I don't know man, my ADD is making me dizzy w/this-it's way too big. It's like another O2, but w/an HDD inside. I can't bring myself to do it. What I mean is if I bitch about the J3 being inside my pocket, what will I do w/this monsta?!?!?! It's too big,.......

Old 10-23-2010, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
I don't know man, my ADD is making me dizzy w/this-it's way too big. It's like another O2, but w/an HDD inside. I can't bring myself to do it. What I mean is if I bitch about the J3 being inside my pocket, what will I do w/this monsta?!?!?! It's too big,.......
Oh I've completely given up any notion that this could comfortably sit in one of my pockets and I wear baggy/loose fit jeans and khakis. I can't imagine fun times for someone trying to put this in a pocket of some skinny pants.

I'm seeing this as staying in my bag on the train...god forbid I hit a string of shitty tracks, at my desk wherever I'm contracting and probably in the car. Defeats true portability some might argue and it's an argument they've already won because I'm giving no defense to this things size beyond the HDD.

I'm still having the problem with the 32GB I posted here on Amazon and then posted in smaller parts on ABI. I sent it back to JetAudio just yesterday(again) and am begging them mercilessly to please include some type of paperwork as to what is causing this. I am now on my 5th 32GB J3 after it was revealed this week that the player I had was indeed a brand new player. They weren't able to revive my old one

So anyways...while we work feverishly to fix this problem once and for all I need a large capacity player with COWON sound quality which has completely spoiled me. My 16GB iRiver K1 and Cowon J3 both have 32gb cards and are working flawlessly but are just to small in capacity. Being it will only be used for audio/music purposes I can really look past some of it's shortcomings...I think.

Old 10-24-2010, 11:56 AM

Red face

Quote:
Wow ! What's the percentage of lossless files in that ??? I hardly find songs my collection is 35Go for 960 Flac files (1/3 is trance so long and less compressible tracks, not like classical music) there is also 2.3 Go mp3s (lives and some unreleased 320s).
By the way I don't know if it is very appropriate but there are two albums I can't find anywhere in CD quality : "Boss For Leader" by "Slagsmalsklübben" and "538 Dance Smash Hits Autumn 2003", I've been looking for those for 1 year and a half now . If anyone can help me find those I'll be extremely thankful.

Anyways, I already said my opinion on the X7 : Cowon SQ, 160Go, lossless playback.
I hope someone will get his hands on this puppy soon I'd like to see the RMAA tests together with J3 and V5. dfkt I count on you .

Old 10-30-2010, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadohiosky View Post
your point being?

as i already said even if they had 500 gb , they still would be more prone to mechanical defect or "plastic deformation", soak up more power and most of all it's a hdd... a big chunk of metal although it may be 5 mm thick/slim.
this mp3 player is doomed to be a brick.

and being the x5's predecessor it most likely will not have a fancy 3.3" display which would justify such a big mp3!!! player

again (afawk) this is just an mp3 player and it will most likely play music (with rumored android, touch display and video playback seems possible though) and it will certainly exceed 90 mm in height and 60 mm in width.

1.24TB is what WD has for mobile HDDs. Same size and interface as those used by whats in the X7, just alot more storage space.

Old 11-01-2010, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadohiosky View Post
your point being?

as i already said even if they had 500 gb , they still would be more prone to mechanical defect or "plastic deformation", soak up more power and most of all it's a hdd... a big chunk of metal although it may be 5 mm thick/slim.
this mp3 player is doomed to be a brick.

and being the x5's predecessor it most likely will not have a fancy 3.3" display which would justify such a big mp3!!! player

again (afawk) this is just an mp3 player and it will most likely play music (with rumored android, touch display and video playback seems possible though) and it will certainly exceed 90 mm in height and 60 mm in width.
I dont think soaking up power is an issue, Cowon claim the X7 to have over 100hrs of battery life playing music!!!

Old 11-02-2010, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyordie View Post
1.24TB is what WD has for mobile HDDs. Same size and interface as those used by whats in the X7, just alot more storage space.
soo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowon Australia View Post
I dont think soaking up power is an issue, Cowon claim the X7 to have over 100hrs of battery life playing music!!!
yeah, it's true that if you have a real huge battery in a real huge player you can have real long battery life, for AUDIO ONLY. rated video play is 10 hours still, btw.

over 100 hours claimed life is a real stunner indeed, it doesn't really compare with the other "features" though. it's not really a good video player, the display resolution for such a screen size is just too low. and it's way too bulky and seriously, over 200 g for a player, this is sooo 2000's. my h320 weighs in at about 150 g and it's got a hdd as well. it's just not acceptable.

i couldn't care less about weight if one could use it as a pmp, but the shortcomings tell me you could use it as a dap, while traveling with train/bus/car or maybe have it docked to your car radio only, but you cannot use it comfortably while on your own feet or on a bike, imo. or other activities. and there devices out there who can do just that more comfortably, if only with less battery life.

Black Cowon J3 32 GB (Black Ringke Case) - no lousy Sennheiser CX 300 anymore, Pana HJE 900 took the throne... for keeps

Old 12-11-2010, 11:31 PM

I am thinking of getting either the Cowon J3 or the Cowon X7. The thing I like about the X7 is the amount of space it has but I have also heard a lot of good about the J3. Which one of these is recommended?
And one more thing. When I try to play music from my sd card in my Cowon D2 the D2 always crashes. I manged it once but I think that was because the file only had 12 songs and was not itself in a file.
Does the J3 have this problem?

Last edited by Porhati; 12-11-2010 at 11:47 PM.

Old 12-12-2010, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porhati View Post
I am thinking of getting either the Cowon J3 or the Cowon X7. The thing I like about the X7 is the amount of space it has but I have also heard a lot of good about the J3. Which one of these is recommended?
And one more thing. When I try to play music from my sd card in my Cowon D2 the D2 always crashes. I manged it once but I think that was because the file only had 12 songs and was not itself in a file.
Does the J3 have this problem?
the J3 has a mSD slot not and SD slot, your card won't fit anyway. secondly, are you sure that your card is fine. to me it looks like your card is a fake. and only like a few hundred mbs are working fine. that's why it may read 12 songs fine but the rest is garbage. just search for h2testw and test the card( need a card reader though, i guess).

Black Cowon J3 32 GB (Black Ringke Case) - no lousy Sennheiser CX 300 anymore, Pana HJE 900 took the throne... for keeps

Old 12-12-2010, 09:27 AM

The sd card works great when it is connected to the pc and I can play and copy files over to it. I can view files from the Cowon D2 but I can not play any songs. So I do not think that the card is faulty. And I know it is not fake because well known store in Norway. I bought a micro sd once that did not work at all but this card works great.
And the cowon d2 froze when I directly from the player to. It only happened to one album and just suddenly I could play the album.

I always play music by going into the folder section because it is never able to categorize my music in artists or anything. I was able to play a band named Merlin through the artist section but when I tried to enter the folder through the folder section the mp3 player froze.
And none of the other files I have on the sd show up in the artist album etc. section.
I believe that it is the cowon that there is something wrong with but I don't know.

Thanks