android
Go Back   abi>>forums > Site Related > MP3 Player News

Old 10-08-2010, 10:15 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Wow, just wow. This is a complete failure. It has worse specs than the old O2, and the V5 surpasses it by miles, as far as screen and codec support are concerned.

No MP4/h264/MKV playback, not even 720p playback, and outdated 480x272 screen where you can count the pixels (the V5 already had 800x480), the same few goddamn buttons as the O2 and V5 that make operation an utter nuisance - give me dedicated FFWD/REW just like the S9/J3, for fuck's sake. Seems it doesn't run on Android or has Wifi as well, as speculated.

So it has a crappy HDD instead of 64GB flash memory and an SD slot. Fat battery seems to be the only thing going for it - then again, the V5 also manages 10h for video - but with modern HD codecs/containers, not some ancient AVI/WMV stuff. It's way too fat for being an audio player, and way too shabby for being a video player. What a huge disappointment.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-08-2010, 10:18 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonBottles View Post
103 hours audio playback?! Bloody hell!!

Rest is disappointing though. I still want one, however.
I'm a little skeptical of that, given that it is a HDD-based player.

Old 10-08-2010, 10:28 AM
Ultra Senior Member

103 Cowon hours probably mean 50 real hours, once one uses BBE/EQ stuff, uses high quality LAME encodes, turns the screen on from time to time, etc. Either way, nothing the J3 or S9 wouldn't do as well.

Judging by the awful specs, I wouldn't wonder if the X7 has huge gaps between tracks like the O2 or V5 - not gapless like the S9/J3/i9.

Old 10-08-2010, 10:42 AM
Ultra Senior Member

The screen resolution is a fail, and the lack of better codec support is puzzling, but it does have the hardware controls I want. Still, either this or a classic,.......................what would YOU go for if you we're me???

PS: these are the spec listings from the Cowon site, sorry for the resizing:

Old 10-08-2010, 10:44 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Why do you even consider that piece of crap X7? Just get a V5, if you want Cowon SQ and a good screen, with modern codec support.

If it's just about the HDD size - tough choice. But a Cowon sure will be way less crippled than an iPod.

Old 10-08-2010, 10:46 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
The screen resolution is a fail, and the lack of better codec support is puzzling, but it does have the hardware controls I want. Still, either this or a classic,.......................what would YOU go for if you we're me???
Considering you already have a J3 that you could use for videos, I would think a Classic would be better than this X7...then again, I've never heard a Classic or a Cowon.

Old 10-08-2010, 10:46 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Does the V5 read id3 tags at all??? Or is it still MSC/folder all the way. Besides, I want capacity & the Cowon SQ - no iPod can give me that.

PS: I need a larger screen for vids (than the J3 has) since the eyes are getting older. I get headaches when I have to watch on such a small screen - sux!!! I want a device that sounds good, has capacity, and I was hoping for a 4 inch or better display. This is just a bummer IMO.

Old 10-08-2010, 10:49 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Yeah, no ID3 browsing/MTP on the V5. Seems to be one advantage of that oversized, underwhelming mockery of a J3 clone.

Old 10-08-2010, 10:53 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Damn dfkt, this is so anticlimactic,........... I had high hopes for this, and Cowon failed on it. The J3 is the bomb, and the S9 was good (I wasn't that crazy about it though), but the X7 really has me baffled!!!

Old 10-08-2010, 10:54 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I'd say just stick with your 64GB J3 - it should be enough to keep you busy until someone releases a HDD player that isn't a complete joke - or until 128GB flash players are available (which would be the way better option anyways).

Old 10-08-2010, 10:59 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I agree, so as they say: "On to the next!!!"

Old 10-08-2010, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
I'd say just stick with your 64GB J3 - it should be enough to keep you busy until someone releases a HDD player that isn't a complete joke - or until 128GB flash players are available (which would be the way better option anyways).
And by that time my music collection will probably be in excess of 200GB and even then the new 128GB players will be too small for me. Plus, if Cowon won't release a HDD player that's worth it, who will?

So the resolution sucks, big deal. It's something I can look past for a music player with good sound quality that will hold everything I have.

Old 10-08-2010, 02:12 PM
ABI Founder

i added an X7 forum, please take related off topics there

Old 10-08-2010, 03:24 PM

that sucks! I was excited for this!

Old 10-09-2010, 09:28 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Well if I can get some of that 100 hours playback on bluetooth with Sony like quality? I might be reeeally interested in this. However, knowing Cowon and bluetooth I am not holding my breath for a great experience :P

Old 10-09-2010, 09:43 AM
Ultra Senior Member

They delayed this so long, that's it's already obsolete upon release. I suppose if you really want 80GB+, it's a better choice than an iPod Classic.

Old 10-09-2010, 10:07 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonBottles View Post
And by that time my music collection will probably be in excess of 200GB and even then the new 128GB players will be too small for me. Plus, if Cowon won't release a HDD player that's worth it, who will?

So the resolution sucks, big deal. It's something I can look past for a music player with good sound quality that will hold everything I have.
I have over 1.5TB of music and gave up long ago on carrying everything and the kitchen sink with me. I'm content with anything above ~20GB - but that's just me of course, YMMV.

It's laudable that Cowon dare releasing an HDD player in 2010, as the only brand-name alternative to the iPod Classic, more or less. It's also understandable that it has to be broader/wider than a flash player, to accommodate a 1.8" HDD and a battery that keeps up with that.

But the way they executed it is more than questionable. Instead of using the form factor to improve on their crappy video players by making the X7 a hybrid of the J3, V5, and something like the A3 (especially since that storage space would be more than perfect for video needs), they use a shitty outdated screen instead of an adequate 800x480 AMOLED or SLCD, they remove the hardware buttons that make a player useful on the go, and they don't support any modern video formats at all. So it's neither fish nor flesh, it has neither the right form factor or usability for an audio player, nor is it anywhere close to what one would expect of a halfway decent video player in 2010.

The UI looks awfully 'cute' and 'Korean' again, like the O2 or V5, not 'western' like the J3. But I see faint traces of the J3 UI in the X7, so maybe they didn't fuck that aspect up completely, as with their video players. Firmware might be a bit of a saving grace for the severely outdated, disappointing, and badly designed hardware. That is, if it acts like the J3 for both audio and video playback - which is way ahead of any other player they released so far.

I will never understand the way Cowon runs in circles while shooting themselves in the foot, all at once.

Old 10-09-2010, 04:34 PM
Ultra Senior Member

dfkt, as always, a sensible and no-nonsense look at gear.

Although, what hit me most was the 1.5TB+ of music... lol Incredible
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 10-09-2010, 04:37 PM
ABI Invaluable

Quote:
I have over 1.5TB of music
Battle.net Tag: wuaffiliate#1677

Old 10-09-2010, 07:16 PM
Samsung Moderator

Quote:
I have over 1.5TB of music
Is that the whole discography of Justin Bieber-like artists encoded in WAV?