android
Go Back   abi>>forums > Site Related > MP3 Player News

Old 08-22-2010, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeramil View Post
CBR is mp3 320, which means it has a target bitrate of 320 kilobits for each second of audio.

Technically this is generally better than v0 VBR, which has a target bitrate of 245. Not that a difference is obvious or even evident, but CBR should overall be higher quality.

VBR can supply more bits to complex music passages and save bits on simpler ones, while CBR encodes every frame at the same bitrate, meaning VBR is more efficient when considering file size.
Regardless of the target bitrate, VBR V0 makes it 320KB/s where it needs to be and lower where it doesn't. I'll be damned if anyone could ever hear the difference in a part of the song that's lower quality where it doesn't need the higher bitrate.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-23-2010, 06:33 AM

here:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/23/c...fe-fcc-applic/

another bone to feast upon.

edit:
oh, fuck. mr. savov spied on this very website. so, who is he? some anon 0 post voyeur. or an ultra senior voyeur from the very first day?

man the battle station and prepare for myriads of 1 post-banned apple fanboi attacks.

Last edited by deadohiosky; 08-23-2010 at 06:38 AM.

Old 08-23-2010, 06:41 AM

Interesting. Same general shape as the i9 and J3, with the curved bottom side. Seems Cowon finally found a style they stick with, contrary to many of their other players that don't have much in common, appearance-wise. Three side buttons is hopefully not all they're going to give us, ffs. The six buttons of the J3 are the minimum to make a touch screen player useful on the go - the i9's or D2's three buttons just won't cut it for me, for comfortable in-pocket use.

Old 08-23-2010, 06:48 AM

yup, three buttons is measly.though the left one could be a rocker, judging from the size.

(edit: wait? measly, that's not right is it? what's the right word, i can't find it in my head dictionary)

Old 08-23-2010, 06:52 AM

The correct internets word is: phail. (Kidding, of course - who knows, maybe they put some more buttons on the front. But I doubt it, judging by their other current players.)

Old 08-23-2010, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
The correct internets word is: phail. (Kidding, of course - who knows, maybe they put some more buttons on the front. But I doubt it, judging by their other current players.)

nice one.

searching the fcc for some more evidence, but so far i haven't found much.

if someone is interested just type 'fcc id' into your favourite search engine and show what a lucky guy/gal you are.

then type (grantee code) sxv and jsut search, it's the first entry, from august 23rd.

edit: what's a spread spectrum transmitter? i guess it has something to do with fm radio, but could it be a fm transmitter???

or could it be wifi... i mean w-lan? probably not but i have no clue and wikiing it didn't help either. it's probably something very trivial and i'm obviously making stuff up to generate more attention.

excuse my dumbness, it's apparently bluetooth. tested frequencies were from 2402 to 2480 Mhz, which is the exact range bluetooth devices may operate in.

Last edited by deadohiosky; 08-23-2010 at 07:18 AM.

Old 08-23-2010, 08:50 AM
Ultra Senior Member

The flap on the bottom looks like it hides a SD card slot. o.o

Old 08-23-2010, 12:47 PM

^It probably hides the charger jack.

Old 08-23-2010, 01:00 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The X7 now has hit the FCC for approval.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/23/c...fe-fcc-applic/

Apparently, the filing confirms Bluetooth and an HDD.

Old 08-23-2010, 01:05 PM

Yes, that's what Deadohiosky said in post #42.

Old 08-23-2010, 03:58 PM

If this is as good as it seems, I'll buy one - guaranteed. I need a player with more space!

Old 08-23-2010, 05:25 PM

No wifi right? Probably means no Android. Can't wait for this though!

Old 08-24-2010, 04:04 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechyguyDR View Post
No wifi right? Probably means no Android. Can't wait for this though!
I don't particularly see the link between no WiFi and no Android.

Old 08-24-2010, 09:41 AM

Well isn't Android on OS that has lots of data intensive apps? I'd figure that if an MP3 player/PMP would have Android it'd at least have wifi to connect to the net.

Old 08-24-2010, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechyguyDR View Post
Well isn't Android on OS that has lots of data intensive apps? I'd figure that if an MP3 player/PMP would have Android it'd at least have wifi to connect to the net.
don't see android as the phone (and tablet) OS. it can be customized to fit just about any mobile device. the nook (e-reader) uses it. there is a console in development, tvs and ofc daps will use it.

it's the same with ios and some linux derivatives.

Old 08-24-2010, 01:10 PM

I'm not really looking at is as a phone OS. Just thinking about all the devices that are using it currently. Most (if not all) have the ability to connect to the internet. The Nook has wifi. Android implementation on TVs is targeted at internet connected TVs. And the DAPs that have android all have wifi. I just find it unlikely that something that never connects to the internet will have an OS that has so many apps that need internet connections. Its not impossible, just improbable IMO.

Old 08-25-2010, 12:17 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
Yes, that's what Deadohiosky said in post #42.
I swear those posts weren't there when I posted ...

Old 08-30-2010, 05:22 AM

Considering the Cowon has passed and given compliance from the FCC does anybody with certainty know how long before we see the X7 appear?

Old 08-30-2010, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauro View Post
Considering the Cowon has passed and given compliance from the FCC does anybody with certainty know how long before we see the X7 appear?
i think it's pretty hard to predict that. afaik, it could take a few days or weeks, it just as well could take some 2 or 3 months, even half a year.

personally i think, it's more than possible that they're going to release it before the end of this year. for example, the J3 was "found" in a FCC filing Dec. 2009 and was released late march/beginning of April 2010.

Black Cowon J3 32 GB (Black Ringke Case) - no lousy Sennheiser CX 300 anymore, Pana HJE 900 took the throne... for keeps

Old 08-30-2010, 07:10 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I'm hoping the X7 is released by the holiday season, since I now know what I'd be getting for merhuanakwanzamas!