android
Go Back   abi>>forums > Site Related > MP3 Player News

Old 09-15-2010, 04:15 PM

Default Sony For The Masses - Sony updates A,E And S Series

Hey Guys and Gals,

Sony got their act together and officially updated the A,S and E Series.

Enjoy

http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/15/s...-you-probably/

edit: 64 GB Version, intriguing but might be too costly.

Black Cowon J3 32 GB (Black Ringke Case) - no lousy Sennheiser CX 300 anymore, Pana HJE 900 took the throne... for keeps

Last edited by deadohiosky; 09-15-2010 at 04:22 PM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-15-2010, 04:21 PM
Ultra Senior Member

So they rounded off the corners and paint them iPod colors? Anything improved beside the skin?

Old 09-15-2010, 04:28 PM

hmm, i just found out that this seems to be the design for the S- Series only.

http://www.crunchgear.com/2010/09/15...alkman-models/

E- Series

E-Series? (with Dock)

S-Series in all Colors available

A-Series

i figure the A-Series hasn't changed much while e- and s- series got a design overhaul.

Black Cowon J3 32 GB (Black Ringke Case) - no lousy Sennheiser CX 300 anymore, Pana HJE 900 took the throne... for keeps

Last edited by deadohiosky; 09-15-2010 at 04:46 PM. Reason: e-series not s-series with dock

Old 09-15-2010, 05:30 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Thumb Down Sony Sux!!!

I now officially hate Sony, as it currently seems that they have no plans to release these new dap's in the USA or Canada in the 32gb or 64gb varieties. Sony, it's official "The DarkSide says YOU SUCK!!! "

You can quote me on that.

Old 09-15-2010, 06:05 PM

Damn the A-Series is kick ass sexy =)

Old 09-15-2010, 06:23 PM
Ultra Senior Member

BTW, and not to be a party pooper, but I think someone beat you to the punch w/the sickening Sony Style newsflash: http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/sho...175#post500175

Old 09-15-2010, 06:52 PM

i see... well, i just posted it after i assured myself that no one created a thread in the "news" subforum.

mods may merge the threads if they like.

Old 09-15-2010, 06:54 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Naw, I see you BOTH posted in the correct sections - and I get to bitchtwice!!!! Muahahahahaha!!!

Old 09-15-2010, 09:49 PM

you guys think it's worth waiting for the new A850 or just get the A845..it doesn't really look too much different from the older version..unless they fixed some other stuff on it.

Old 09-18-2010, 06:34 AM

hey guys, sony germany apparently updated to the new sony walkman series.

http://www.sony.de/hub/walkman

though this could be just a fault, cause they were kind of introduced at the ifa (which happens to take place in germany) two weeks ago, this might be an indicator that germany will receive the new players as well.

Old 09-18-2010, 10:33 AM
Ultra Senior Member

That would be great new bro!!!! I hope we all get them, but that would mean I'd have to buy another player - the wife is gonna KILL ME!!! :-P

Old 09-29-2010, 05:44 PM

deadohiosky wrote:

Hey Guys and Gals,

Sony got their act together and officially updated the A,S and E Series.

Enjoy

Apparently, not totally in either case.

After all the issues I've had with the S-series Sony players, I bit the bullet and purchased a 16G E-345. I bought a Sony despite my history with them because I wanted 16G and I'm not interested in touch-screen players or 8G players with memory cards that can be lost. Sony is about the only company offering what I want and the player has good reviews on this site. I quickly returned the Zen MX I bought first due to it's incompatability with the various music services online.

Charged this E-345 up and downloaded about 8G of music - both ripped from CDs at 193kbps (already on my computer) and music transferred using Rhapsody-to-Go (160kbps).

I've listened to it for two hours (maybe 30 songs) - in that time there have been 4 tracks that failed to download completely - the music just cut off half way through like the track was over-written by the next track. This is occurring with both types of downloads. At that rate, with approximately 1600 songs on the player, I expect 200+ songs to be incomplete and will have to be re-downloaded. I only hope re-downloading fixes the issue. With my S-series players (both of them), re-downloading an incomplete track resulted in a previously complete track to then be incomplete. Quite an aggravation.

A lot of the songs on this E-345 that are complete suffer from the same obvious "skips" and "pops" that was a part of the music on the S-series players. While disappointing, I can live with it, but I expected better.

I'm considering returning this player to the store. I've got 30 days. It will take me longer than that to find all the affected tracks, I'm sure. On the positive side: the SQ is good for the most part and I love the size of the unit. It's got a good screen and uses a regular USB mini-cable. The EQ isn't very good, but I don't normally use it anyway. Can't comment on battery life yet.

If I keep this E-series player, I'll be forced to download music is small blocks of tracks to ensure they're complete and, if they are, hope they didn't over-write previously complete tracks. So, for me anyway, I'm not seeing a lot of difference in this E-series as compared to my two S-series players. Not sure what Sony upgraded at this point.

Old 09-29-2010, 06:06 PM
Ultra Senior Member

CarlB57: Man that sucks.

Listen i have zero experience with Rhapsody. Where does your music live? On your PC somewhere? USB drive? Or when you say download, do you actually have to connect to Rhapsody to download your music library?

I can only tell you how I do stuff on my 16GB E345. I have never experienced any problems transferring music to it [or to any of my DAPs]. Maybe something will help you?

My entire music library lives on an external 500GB Seagate USB drive. I am on Win XP SP2. I use Winamp [and Mediamonkey] to monitor my library. I use Winamp exclusively to manage all my MTP DAPs like the Sony E345, 2 Creative Jukebox Xtras and a Creative Zen V+.

I connect my Sony. Winamp sees it. I select from my permanent library all the music I want to copy over [I hate to use the word "sync"]. I usually do like max 200 songs in each chunk to avoid choking MTP protocol. When done, I can make playlists by selecting the songs/artists/albums on the device. Done.

Like I said, I have never experienced incomplete or corrupted transfers.

Is this something you can try? Or does Rhapsody prohibit this, using Winamp?

hope you can get it going - your Panas are begging to be used.
-lestatar
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 09-29-2010, 07:13 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I've never had the issues you seem to have w/Sony Walkman mp3 players, so the problem is either w/Rhapsody or your files themselves. It might even be your comp. Otherwise, I've NEVER dealt w/the probs you seem to have w/a Sony. iPods not playing certain music files, yes, Sony - no WAY!!!

Old 09-29-2010, 07:44 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
I've never had the issues you seem to have w/Sony Walkman mp3 players, so the problem is either w/Rhapsody or your files themselves. It might even be your comp. Otherwise, I've NEVER dealt w/the probs you seem to have w/a Sony. iPods not playing certain music files, yes, Sony - no WAY!!!
Same here.
Attached Images
File Type: gif plus-one-2.gif (358 Bytes, 172 views)

Old 09-29-2010, 08:23 PM

I appreciate the responses.

My computer has Vista Home Premium on it - fairly new computer with plenty, plenty of memory and RAM. I don't have to disable any Firewalls or Security programs to use Napster or Rhapsody.

I started out almost certain the problem was Napster (first) and then Rhapsody. I've completely erased all my WMP ripped music from CDs from my hard drive and re-ripped those CDs using EAC. I've previously deleted Napster software from my computer and reinstalled it. I've done the same with Rhapsody. None of these actions fixed the download issues with the Sonys.

What really makes me feel like it is a Sony problem is that in every case, my older Zen has worked like a charm - no incomplete tracks and no issues with SQ at all - no skips, no pops, no issues. I intentionally re-formatted and re-downloaded my music to the Zen several times to try to create the issue, but have never, even to this day, heard anything on the Zen that compares to the Sonys (which is why my 1st choice was Creative).

I have not yet tried Winamp, but I have it on my computer (thanks lestatar). It recognizes the new player, so maybe my next attempt to fix the E-345 will be with Winamp. That may solve the issues with the CD rips, but won't do much for me with the DRM music.

Glad to hear these issues aren't common, though. I'd hate to know that everyone who spent their money on Sony has come away dissatisfied.

Old 09-29-2010, 08:30 PM

Hey lestatar - those Panas are amazing with the Zen! They're definitely not going to waste!

Old 09-29-2010, 08:46 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlB57 View Post
*snip*
Glad to hear these issues aren't common, though. I'd hate to know that everyone who spent their money on Sony has come away dissatisfied.
I had an S545, and an E345, and they both served me well. I traded the S545 for a Sansa Fuze a couple months back, when I made the decision to try Rockbox....and after trying it, I liked it so much I put it on my two Clip+ players as well, and after that, I wasn't using the E345 anymore, so I sold it to a buddy, who loves it.

Old 09-29-2010, 09:05 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Carl: Maybe you got a lemon E354?
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 09-29-2010, 09:11 PM
Administrator

You say you download music to your player. Could you describe in more detail how you do that?