android
Old 08-11-2010, 02:04 PM

Default Hippo Shroom EB?

Hey guys I'v been looking for some good affordable headphonnes and I find that people say that the Hippo EB is great for the money but I want some seconde opinos from the experts Are there better headphones for the price? Or schould I save up for the Hippo VB?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-12-2010, 04:07 AM
Ultra Senior Member

They're very different earphones. What are your sound preferences?

Old 08-12-2010, 12:20 PM

Well I would like to have the earbuds that sound like what the artist intened. I guess I would like clarity. And I do like bass if it is controlled. I like to also listen to music where detail is more importint to me than overpowering bass or headphones that screw up the sound.

Those Panosonics look good too...

Old 08-12-2010, 01:45 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trickhero View Post
Well I would like to have the earbuds that sound like what the artist intened. I guess I would like clarity. And I do like bass if it is controlled. I like to also listen to music where detail is more importint to me than overpowering bass or headphones that screw up the sound.

Those Panosonics look good too...
The Panasonics HJE900 are at/near the top of the IEM food chain for many people right now. While I haven't heard them [yet], they could be among your best bets, but indeed, they are pricey.

As for "sound[ing] like what the artist intened[sic]..." - this could be a waste of time IMO as it will be impossible to do unless you are psychic

Better to try and find a pair of headphones that make the music sound great to your ears and for your brain.

If you prefer "detail", I have heard many folks speak strongly about the Phonak PFEs for instance. Check the ABi frontpage review as they are an Editor's Choice.

As for the VBs, I have them and they are awesome. But yes, the bass is very in your face - not muddy at all, but punchy and quick and extremely deep. As a guitar music lover, I need clear mids and highs - here, I find the VBs deliver as well, so for me, the VBs kick ass overall. Plus they EQ very very well. The VBs don't screw with the sound so much as emphasize the bottom end, but again, still offer clear mids and highs.

What type of music do you generally listen to? This kind of info can help others offer good advice as well.

As for the Hippo Shroom EBs, I understand the general consensus is that they are pretty OK, very competent all around and a good purchase for the money.

cheers and good luck,
-lestatar
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 08-12-2010, 02:37 PM

Well I do like detail and a nice soundstage and I don't like the bass to be overpowering. Well the problem is about my music prefrences is that I listen to "alternative". And my favorite bands are The Kooks, The Killers, The Strokes and many other bands simular to them. Thanks for the help guys.

Old 08-12-2010, 02:51 PM
Ultra Senior Member

@trickhero, welcome to ABi, by the way...stick around! :-D

Hmmm, I do think that you will enjoy the VBs quite a lot. The VBs sound great to me with all of the "harder" stuff I listen to. Surprisingly good detail all around and again, the bass is incredible. But because they are so EQ-able and also because of the user selectable bass plates [which I find generally do a decent job at creating 3 very difference sounding VBs], I think it more than likely that the VBs will sound great to you.

I look at IEMs this way now - if I had only money for 1 pair of IEMs, I might seriously go with the Panasonic HJE900s, having not even heard them yet, but hearing such amazing praise for them from people whose preference for music/sound I kind of understand. I am willing to roll the dice with the Panas.

However, the VBs for 79USD is a great deal IMO. Yeah, shipping from Jaben.net in Singapore might take a couple weeks, but for sure, Wilson and Jaben have repeatedly demonstrated they will do the right thing for people in case problems crop up, especially if you mention ABi for some reason. :-)

Speaking only for myself, and as a relative noob to the world of good-great quality IEMs, the VBs were a complete revelation to me. I expect the Panasonics, when I buy them, to be the possibly the last pair of IEMs I ever buy [well, at least for the near term].

good luck man and let us know what you decide...
-lestatar
A Glossary for Newbies

Last edited by lestatar; 08-12-2010 at 03:08 PM. Reason: grammar

Old 08-12-2010, 03:07 PM

I'm going to get the Panasonics and use those for a long time But it might take a bit more time to save up since I'm only 13 Oh yeah don't worry I'll stay around.

Old 08-12-2010, 03:12 PM
Ultra Senior Member

13??? you're only 13 trickhero? Good god man, when I was 13 I had zero concept of good sound.

Man, good for you dude.... :-)
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 08-12-2010, 07:14 PM

The only reason that I wanted to get good headphone is that I'm a trumpet player at school and am into music now, really. Cya later, thanks for the help.

Old 08-13-2010, 07:16 AM
Ultra Senior Member

When I was thirteen I was using a Creative EP630. :X

The Panasonics cost $149.99 on Amazon, FYI.

Old 08-13-2010, 10:55 AM

I found them used for $80

Tags
budget, comparison, headphones, hippo