android
Go Back   abi>>forums > Miscellaneous Tech > Anythingbutipad

View Poll Results: Which Tablet OS Do You Think Has the Best Chance Against the iPad?
Android 58 69.88%
BlackBerry Tablet OS 2 2.41%
Windows Tablet / Windows Mobile 16 19.28%
Palm WebOS 6 7.23%
Nokia 1 1.20%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-11-2010, 01:15 PM
ABI Founder

Default Which Tablet OS Do You Think Has the Best Chance Against the iPad?

Here are my thoughts:

Android:
We are starting to see some of these trickle out now. The Dell Streak and the Samsung Galaxy Tab. Android in 2.1+ form is as powerful or more powerful than the iPad in terms of features. The thing that it troubling is fragmentation of the OS with the addition of manufactures own "skins" on top of the pure android build. What adds to the frustration is that these skins hold up releases of new Android versions. Im going though this with my HTC Incredible. Stuck on 2.1 because HTC has to rework and test their Sense Skin. Perhaps this all gets better with Android 3.0.

BlackPad:
This will end up being a nice product. Corporations love the BB security and they may tie in well to a phone. But in terms of the OS, its years behind and im not confident that RIM can come up with something to rival on the consumer front. But maybe the uptake of the blackpad will happen in financial and secure corporate institutions.

HP/Palm Web OS
I have little experience with WebOS other than a half hour or so in the store. But i think it might translate pretty well to a tablet situation. One of the biggest drawbacks of the iPad is that its oversimplification lends to a very poor multi tasking experience (and at this time none). The mechanics of the WebOS's UI are awesome and i can see getting real work done on it.

Windows
I love my Lenovo X200. It offers no sacrifice in terms of productivity, but it falls flat on its face in tablet mode and this is mostly due to the un-finger-friendly OS. I do believe that a touch freindly plus a stylus is the ultimate scenario for tablets, but they must be able to operate independently. As of now, its not even close. So with that said I think there is the most potential in Windows Tablets, but my concern is MS being agile enough to pull this off in a timely manner.

Windows Phone Tablet? Could MS potentially come out with another chassis class for a tablet based on the Windows Phone OS. Perhaps they quad their display and release 1600x960 tablet? Zune Tablet?

Nokia
I dont expect Nokia to be a competitor at all. They have serious organization and management issues company wide. I dont see them turning it around in 2011 or at all.

My Vote:
My vote is for Android since i think there are a lot in line with the release of 3.0- ultimately they will trump the iPad definitely in the near future. But what i personally want it a Windows Tablet that gives me a good experience in tablet mode and has the power in terms of usability and apps of a laptop. I dont want two devices. But with MSs recent mobile track record i cant say they will be the one to come out on top.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]