android
Go Back   abi>>forums > General Audio > Headphones

Old 08-10-2010, 05:57 PM

Default Frustrated with Atrio M5 sleeves...tips?

Hey guys so I've got a pair of Atrio M5's and I just can't manage to get the sound I want out of them that I want and that I know they can make. I used to use the included silicone sleeves which did a good job of balancing out the sound and letting enough treble through, but I ruptured my left eardrum (got hit in the ear with a tennis ball) and I can't wear them anymore because it hurts my ears when they're inserted properly. I've got a slew of other sleeves that I've tried, and each has a fatal flaw:

1.) Included foam sleeves sound good but are terrible to put in and get gross
2.) Shure black foamies are less of a pain to put in and stay cleaner, but they muffle the treble and aren't as dynamic. I like warm-sounding phones, but these are too warm. Nice bass though.
3.) Shure silicone sleeves (took em off an old pair of E3C's, I think) are quite comfortable and easy to get positioned correctly, but they sorta muffle everything and kill the soundstage. The bass sounds fantastic, but it totally overpowers the rest.

Do the Comply T-100 tips sound any better? Seems to me they'd sound just like the Shure foamies. Has anyone else tried different sleeves? I'd prefer silicone, but I don't care as long as they aren't as horrible to put in and don't have to go as deep into the ear as the Atrio's silicone sleeves...

Thanks!

Last edited by Bazirker; 08-10-2010 at 06:04 PM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-11-2010, 07:58 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I understand your pain - I used to own a pair of Atrio. Complies are pretty much the best tips for the Atrio, IMO, but they're quite expensive since they pretty much break after a month.

They're pretty much like the Olives in size, just that their medium is the Olive's small if the guy at Jaben gave me the right size...

Sounds slightly brighter than Olives for me, so it might fit your needs.

Old 08-12-2010, 11:16 PM

Brighter is exactly what I'm looking for, so maybe I'll give Comply a shot.

There doesn't happen to be anyone out there with an extra set of T-100 or Tx-100 Comply foamies that would be willing to send me a pair to try out, would there? $15+shipping is a lot for a few tiny pieces of foam, especially if I'm not sure I'm gonna like em I've got some Shure foamies I would exchange...

Old 08-13-2010, 06:07 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Comply tips will drown out even more treble, usually, as is the case with most foam tips. Not to mention the price for Comply tips is an outright ripoff - it's like renting your phones instead of owning them, when you have to pay $15 for three pairs of tips, which will last about 1-2 months maximum.

I really like Sensorcom/Alpine tips - they have the same inner diameter as Phonak PFE tips, and reproduce treble very well. They should fit the Atrio just fine.

Old 08-13-2010, 08:12 AM
Ultra Senior Member

It's even worse in Singapore - $6 for a pair is the lowest price I've ever seen, and standard retailers sell it for $8.

For a pair. That won't last past a month.

If you don't mind me asking, you want more treble, without sacrificing bass, right? Perhaps consider getting the Hippo VBs?

Old 08-13-2010, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
I really like Sensorcom/Alpine tips - they have the same inner diameter as Phonak PFE tips, and reproduce treble very well. They should fit the Atrio just fine.
I might take a look into these. Are they less stiff than the Atrio ones, and do they need to go as deep into the ear? I might have the same problem with my ear with these as I have with the Futuresonics silicone tips.

Quote:
If you don't mind me asking, you want more treble, without sacrificing bass, right? Perhaps consider getting the Hippo VBs?
I'd be ok with sacrificing a little bass if it brightened the top end. I would consider new phones, but the wife might not be happy with me...we're on a tight budget at the moment and I gotta pick where I splurge

Old 08-13-2010, 10:45 AM
Ultra Senior Member

They're pretty cheap - US$79 AFAIK, shipping included. According to dfkt, the VBs even win the Atrio in bass.

Old 08-13-2010, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the link. Just browsing around that site - considering getting some for my Atrios (maybe they will fit my ears better than the originals ..).

Anyway - noticed these linked off the page you posted. Have you tried them?

PureSound Eartips will fit the following Earphones,

* Shure SE Series (110, 210, 310, 420, 530).
* Shure E3c, E3g, i3c, SCL3.
* Shure E4c, i4c, SCL4.
* Shure SCL5.
* Westone UM1 & UM2.
* Future Sonics Atrio M5 & M8.
* Future Sonic FS1.
* Ultimate Ears Super.Fi 3 Studio, Super.Fi 5 Pro, Super.Fi 5 EB
* Ultimate Ears Triple.Fi 10 Pro
* Comply - NR-1 CM Mobile Phone Earset - NR-1 CS Mobile Phone Earset - NR-1 Earphones - NR-10 Earphones.
* Etymotic Research - ER-4 microPro Series (4B, 4S, 4P)

Old 08-13-2010, 11:15 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazirker View Post
I might take a look into these. Are they less stiff than the Atrio ones, and do they need to go as deep into the ear? I might have the same problem with my ear with these as I have with the Futuresonics silicone tips.
They're softer, thicker material, with a better outer and inner diameter than the Atrio tips. Atrio tips always tickled my ear and/or lost seal easily. No such issues with the Sensorcom tips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanD View Post
Anyway - noticed these linked off the page you posted. Have you tried them?
Yes, I have a pair of those as well - they don't work at all for my ears.

Old 08-13-2010, 12:27 PM

Quote:
They're softer, thicker material, with a better outer and inner diameter than the Atrio tips. Atrio tips always tickled my ear and/or lost seal easily. No such issues with the Sensorcom tips.
Exactly my thoughts - therefore I've ordered some of these.

Old 08-16-2010, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Exactly my thoughts - therefore I've ordered some of these.
IanD, would you mind posting your thoughts on these tips after you give them a try? I might order some too. Thanks!

Old 08-17-2010, 02:55 PM

So, had a chance to try these out. First thing is that I'm not going to attempt to describe the sound characteristics - I'm simply not the right person to ask about these things; any impression I gave would likely be misleading if not outright wrong, and nobody wants that . Also see below regarding fit.

First thing you notice is the material. It's a lot thicker than the original Atrio silicon - and has a rubbery feel. Not necessarily a bad thing - just that they aren't as flexible as the originals. Also, they are even longer than the Atrio tips - however this is not a problem given access to a pair of scissors .

External width-wise they seem a little larger. I generally go for a large/extra large on tip sizes, and yet with these I actually found it more of a struggle to stuff them in. Combined with the lesser flexibility, this means that they don't really fit me very well. Once in however, they are quite comfortable - and given the stiffer construction don't seem to lose seal so easily.

The inner diameter is spot on - they fit the Atrios very securely.

In summary, they don't work for me, but if you have extra large ears they might be worth a go.

Bazirker, If you think you still like the sound of them, I'm more than happy to stick them in a jiffy-bag and send 'em over to you. You never know - they might work! (and I've still got 2 pairs that haven't been attacked with scissors ) PM me an address if you're interested.

Old 08-21-2010, 03:54 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Perhaps you could ask him to order the next size down, and you two swap?

Old 08-21-2010, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickysio View Post
Perhaps you could ask him to order the next size down, and you two swap?
They have sizes?

Old 08-21-2010, 06:31 AM

Anyone else want them?

Old 08-21-2010, 07:01 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
They have sizes?
Wouldn't hurt to ask. Their website refuses to load for me.

Old 08-21-2010, 07:12 AM

Yeah, maybe... To be honest I may be moving towards non-IEMs as my main preference. I'm loving my new HD 25s at the moment .

Old 08-23-2010, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Anyone else want them?
I imagine if they don't work for your ears, they won't work for mine either...but send them my way, and I'll give them a shot and write up a short sound review too. I'll PM you my address, thanks!

Old 08-23-2010, 12:20 PM

Be on their way tomorrow(ish)!

If they don't work - you've lost nothing in trying .

Old 09-03-2010, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Be on their way tomorrow(ish)!

If they don't work - you've lost nothing in trying .
Just got them! Thanks! Gonna be a busy weekend and I might not be able to sit down and give a legitimate listen till next week, but when I do, I'll post my impressions.