android
Old 08-09-2010, 04:01 PM

Default Is the J3 worth the cost?

So I really do want a J3, it's just that my financial situation is a little tight as a grad student.

So I came here to be convinced. Is the J3 worth it's cost over say a Coby MP837? That's the other player I'm looking at, which is half the price.

Basically I'm looking for something that can play music and video. I know the J3 can play FLAC, which is awesome, and the Coby can't do. Just trying to justify if that's worth twice the cost.

Now obviously that isn't the only thing the J3 has over it. Expandable memory, access to flash games/apps, the screen probably has a higher resolution. Also I'm not sure if the Coby has a scratch proof screen, and I couldn't find a case or a protective film for it, which could mean the screen will look like crap after a month.

Getting the J3 will add more debt to my credit card (which I'm slowly paying off), but if it's worth it I'll do it.

Thanks.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-09-2010, 04:09 PM

You added one of the reasons i bought it.
You said the expandable memory which is a plus for me
You forgot to say about the battery life. I think it beats many of the top tiers mp3 players.
You lastly forgot to say sound quality. I know Cowons deliver great SQ and Sony's Walkman and even the Sandisk's Sansa.

I had to also compare the past week and i figured these three would sell me to the j3.

I would never advise you to hold any kind of debt in your credit card. If you do, pay it off quickly.
I wil suggest you to persuade you to borrow money from somebody and pay them instead.

Old 08-09-2010, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanonymous View Post
... Is the J3 worth it's cost over say a Coby MP837? ...
Any player is better than a coby If you're on a budget, look at getting a Sansa Fuze and rockbox it to give you the additional functionality. Oh and yes a J3 is much better than the coby ... build quality, 3.0 jeteffect tweaks and more ...

Edit: BTW welcome to abi ...

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 08-09-2010, 04:32 PM

Im getting the J3 to Create Flash UCIs for it, otherwise, i would not buy it. little expensive to not support wifi and apps.

Old 08-09-2010, 04:45 PM

It's an audio and video player - and it does those jobs extremely well, better than most other players on the market - well worth the money if you want to use its core functions.

If you want apps and Wifi and other toys and doodads, you certainly should look at other players. If you want to have a highest quality music player, the J3 is ahead of the competition - and for a movie player it's great as well, even if it doesn't play HD formats.

Old 08-09-2010, 05:35 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I certainly understand the budget concerns, and if that extra $100 or more for a J3 will save you from being evicted or from eating some week, then go for the Coby. The 837 is FAR better than their earlier attempts. I had a chance to play with one at a local discount store, and it's not half bad. It's much better than the odd Sylvania and similar cheap branded touchscreen devices. It will play your MP3 files fine. I strongly recommend getting some better headphones than what come with it though.

Battery life is where the Coby comes short, but if you can recharge every day or two you'll be fine. It plays AVI, WMV, and MP4 videos. Haptic response, G-sensor, and a fairly responsive touch UI are suprisingly good. It doesn't do FLAC but it does play OGG files.

Old 08-09-2010, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olley View Post
I certainly understand the budget concerns, and if that extra $100 or more for a J3 will save you from being evicted or from eating some week, then go for the Coby.
I'm definitely not that hard off, it would just be another chunk of money to pay off my credit card, which I could do eventually. If it really is worth the extra money I'll get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olley View Post
The 837 is FAR better than their earlier attempts. I had a chance to play with one at a local discount store, and it's not half bad. It's much better than the odd Sylvania and similar cheap branded touchscreen devices. It will play your MP3 files fine. I strongly recommend getting some better headphones than what come with it though.
The bolded text are things that are making me think less and less of the Coby. Makes it sound like a bargain bin mp3 player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSX
Im getting the J3 to Create Flash UCIs for it, otherwise, i would not buy it. little expensive to not support wifi and apps.
Apps and wifi make me think ipod, which is much more expensive, and the only places I would use wifi have a computer available to me, so I'm not concerned about that. There are at least some apps for the J3, no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood
Edit: BTW welcome to abi ...
Thanks!

Old 08-09-2010, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Apps and wifi make me think ipod, which is much more expensive
Not at all, its less than the J3.

Cowon 8gb
Itouch 8gb (less $)

Cowon 32gb
Itouch 32gb (less $)

Inflation my friend

Old 08-09-2010, 08:01 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Yes, Coby products are made to be sold to the masses, as opposed to Cowon, iriver, Samsung, and others which either have to be ordered online or found in a NY or NJ located tech store. That's one reason they are half the price of a Cowon J3. I wooudn't rate it at half the value though, as it can play 95% of the same media, and has 80% of the same features.

Old 08-09-2010, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSX View Post
Not at all, its less than the J3.

Cowon 8gb
Itouch 8gb (less $)

Cowon 32gb
Itouch 32gb (less $)

Inflation my friend
Oh yeah, I guess I was remembering comparing it to other devices. I was looking to get the 16 gb version of the J3, though, so I guess for $40 more I could get a 32 gb itouch...just something about apple though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olley
Yes, Coby products are made to be sold to the masses, as opposed to Cowon, iriver, Samsung, and others which either have to be ordered online or found in a NY or NJ located tech store. That's one reason they are half the price of a Cowon J3. I wooudn't rate it at half the value though, as it can play 95% of the same media, and has 80% of the same features.
So are you saying the Coby is more worth it's cost than the J3?

Old 08-09-2010, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Oh yeah, I guess I was remembering comparing it to other devices. I was looking to get the 16 gb version of the J3, though, so I guess for $40 more I could get a 32 gb itouch
i say do that, much more support and its only a 23$ difference.

Quote:
just something about apple though...
i used to think this too but think of it this way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt on iaudiophile
Apple products are just players like from any other company - they suit some people's needs, and don't suit others. The whole "religion" and fuzz some people make about certain brands of course leads to strong counter-opinions by other people, thus the whole love/hate and fanboy/anti-fanboy nonsense.

If you just see it as a piece of electronic gadget that works for you, and not as a cultural icon you can identify with (or similar nonsense), then all is fine, and you don't need to worry about what other people think.
IMO great piece of advice dfkt

Old 08-09-2010, 10:21 PM

Didn't think I would get that advice on a site called anythingbutipod :P

Old 08-10-2010, 12:20 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Didn't think I would get that advice on a site called anythingbutipod :P
LOL....don't be fooled by the domain name. There are indeed many iPod users here on ABi. There is no stigma!

dfkt phrased it perfectly. Simply look at this stuff as tools/gadgets. People get waaay too bent out of shape over closely identifying with the stuff they buy.

Being brand loyal is fine. Being close-minded is not.

Apple does make some great quality products - just for me, they ain't worth it, on nearly every level.

Getting back onto the thread:

@OP: regarding whether or not the J3 is worth it to you.
Only you can really answer this.

- Do you want a nice huge touchscreen?
- How much video do you really plan to watch on the thing?
- Which is more important for you, watching vids or listening to music?
- Do you have enough disposable income for the pricey J3?
- etc...

I was extremely hot for the J3 when it first was announced months ago. However, since then, I have cooled down on it quite a bit, for many reasons [chief among them is discovering the joy of Rockbox on my Fuze and GigabeatF40]. While certainly sexy as hell and pretty much the state of the art for full featured PMPs, the J3 simply isn't for me, and it isn't a question of cash for me.

I have zero interest in watching vids on small screens, even on a screen as nice as the J3. My primary concern is music and for my players I want decent capacity, ability to use playlists as well as seeing pretty album art, decent battery life and most important of all, a smallish form factor.

For my needs, less fancy, often quality "budget" players are all I need.

Is the J3 a quality device? Having only played with the precursor S9 and using that as my basis, I would say hell yes!

Is it what you need? Only you can decide.

Finally, agree whole-heartedly with everyone else - stay away from Coby. :-)

cheers and good luck,
-lestatar
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Last edited by lestatar; 08-10-2010 at 12:28 AM.

Old 08-10-2010, 01:10 AM

I am actually equally interested in music and video. I try to go to the gym as much as possible at my school/work (as mentioned previously I'm a grad student), and, for me at least, the experience of working out becomes much less boring with a little of my favourite music in my ears while lifting weights, or a video while on an exercise bike.

I was thinking of buying an exercise bike recently, since it would make cardio much less "man, how much longer?" while on the bike if I could have it in my room in front of my tv. But if I have a PMP that can play video I could always stick to the equipment at the gym and avoid paying for an expensive workout bike.

Anyways, sorry for all that information that you probably didn't need. Just explaining why I want a nice device for both music and video.

When looking for a new product I always start out small then slowly say "well...for only this much more I could have this one which is better....but then for a bit more I could have this one which does this..." and so on and so forth, and that's how I ended up interested in the J3

Based on this I am open for further suggestions.

I was also interested in the Zune HD before I saw that there was no support for it in Canada.

Old 08-10-2010, 01:20 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Hmm, the only question is if the screen is large enough for you. For me, the 3.5" screen on my N900 barely suffices for video - much less the 3.3" on the J3.

You can also consider the Cowon S9 as well, since it's nearly the same, but just has no expandable memory and a few other specs I can't remember off the top of my head.

Old 08-10-2010, 01:27 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Hey Ryanon:

Well, if you got the cash, I certainly don't think you can go wrong with the J3. ABi's own dfkt is testing one now - I hope a full fledged review is forthcoming soon. If you can wait a bit, I might hold off until the review comes out then you can make an even more informed decision.

However, I do believe that dfkt has mentioned off-the-cuff that, thus far, the J3 is the probably the best PMP device that Cowon has put out yet. If I am wrong, dfkt, apologies for putting words in your mouth. :-)

My only concern would be the relative durability/size of the J3 during your gym workouts. Gyms are, after all, messy places and accidents/drops/damage to delicate electronics might be a valid consideration for you. :-)

Anyways, good luck and do let us know what you decide.
cheers,
-lestatar
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Last edited by lestatar; 08-10-2010 at 04:02 AM. Reason: grammar

Old 08-10-2010, 03:46 AM

btw, i think comparing the ipod touch prices with the J3 prices is a bit misleading.

first of all, apple most certainly has a deal with amazon. (for example here in germany there are three categories: apple ipod, mp3 player, mp4 player)

secondly, the ipod touch(3g) was released 10 months ago, J3 4 months ago.

you could compare it to the s9 however, although it was released one year prior to the 3g

i'd say, price comparisons are a bit moot, after all they do serve different purposes. the touch is much more of a mid than pmp (or mp3 player) while the J3 (or s9) is a dedicated pmp, with a dedicated eq.

Old 08-10-2010, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestatar View Post
However, I do believe that dfkt has mentioned off-the-cuff that, thus far, the J3 is the probably the best PMP device that Cowon has put out yet. If I am wrong, dfkt, apologies for putting words in your mouth. :-)

Old 08-10-2010, 07:34 AM

It indeed is the most refined Cowon so far, and the most enjoyable to use, in my opinion. Before I got it, I couldn't imagine that the jump from the S9's usability to the J3's is that big - them being basically the same hardware, form factor, and all. It's indeed the firmware that makes or breaks it. After my devastating V5 review, I'm happy to see that Cowon got a real winner with the J3. If only the teams working on their PMPs would be as good as the ones working on their DAPs... anyways, the J3 is clearly going to be our next "DAP of the year", on the front page.

Old 08-10-2010, 07:44 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
anyways, the J3 is clearly going to be our next "DAP of the year", on the front page.
Thought it'd be another clip+, with J3 losing to other PMP due to some size or some unknown constraints. ;D