android
Old 08-09-2010, 07:56 AM

Default Virus on player?

Hey

I had to send my player off to get repaired after the rewind button broke on it. When I got it back there was a new file on the device called "12gn6id2.exe". I am convinced that this file was not on the player when I sent it away.

My computer now has trouble finding the device and only finds it 50% of the time.

I scanned the player with an anti-virus software and it told me that "the direcotory is corrupted or unreadable.

I searched the internet to fdind any informantion on the file and found many websites offering to remove this 'malware'. This one says what it is: http://www.prevx.com/filenames/55439...N6ID2.EXE.html

Does anyone have any information on this file or is it actually a file that is usually found on the S9?

Thanks

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-09-2010, 07:58 AM

Upload the file to http://www.virustotal.com/ or http://virusscan.jotti.org/en to make sure. The site you linked to, like many "malware removal" sites, just wants to sell you some stuff, and is thus possibly overly hysterical.

And no, there are no executables on the S9, besides the MyPodder/PodcastReady app it ships with.

Either way, you best simply format the player and have a fresh start.

Old 08-09-2010, 08:13 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Clean out the files outlined in : http://www.sophos.com/security/analy...32taterfq.html
too.

Old 08-11-2010, 05:37 AM

ok I have tried to delete it and it keeps coming back.

Does anyone know if I can delete everything on the [player, including the system and then relode it back on?

Old 08-11-2010, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by !"£$%^&*( View Post
... Does anyone know if I can delete everything on the [player, including the system and then relode it back on?
dfkt already told you up ^^ there, format the player. That will delete everything on it and the player will rebuild the fw like it came when brand new. Will delete all your files on it too and then you can reload tunes, but if the .exe came from your pc it will most likely load it again, have you checked your pc? Oh and don't format the pc, I'm assuming you know why

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 08-11-2010, 07:08 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Use online scanners if you're afraid your local on desktop AV has been compromised.

Old 08-11-2010, 11:08 AM

Or try download some LiveCD with windows or linux, boot from CD and connect your cowon in that OS.
Pictures of my Cowon S9

Old 08-11-2010, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by !"£$%^&*( View Post
ok I have tried to delete it and it keeps coming back.
Then the virus is probably on your Windows machine, and keeps infecting removable storage devices.

Old 08-12-2010, 03:32 AM

Formatting the player seems to have worked. Just need to start the long process of putting files back onto my player.

Thanks for all the help