android
Old 08-19-2010, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
It's easier to replace a cheap plastic screen protector than repair a damaged/scratched screen - get a screen protector,
Exactly my question.

I have applied the Cowon-sold plastic protectors to my J3, both for the front glass screen as well as for the back of the player. I'm now thinking about someday replacing that protective shield with a new one.

I actually had assumed that anytime I got fingerprints all over the plastic on the screen that I could just breathe on it and then wipe away the smudges with a 100% cotton soft cloth. Well... seem that's not exactly correct.

Turns out that if there are tiny "dust particles" or something on the cloth (like it's not perfectly clean) then you can end up permanently buffing in marks onto the plastic protector screen. I didn't expect to see that, but that's what I've now got... a few small imperfections in what was previously perfect.

So contrary to my best intentions, it does look like it's possible to do some permanent harm to these screen protectors simply by using a soft cotton cloth to rub away fingerprints. At the moment it's very minor, and probably only I would even notice it... and even then it's really only visible when the screen is completely dark. But it still bothers me.

Ok... if I really wanted to remove the existing plastic shield that's currently stuck to the glass, would it come off cleanly?

In other words, does the adhesive on the back tend to "cure" over time and join molecularly with the glass, so that I'll never be able to really get it off fully to replace it with a new plastic shield if I wanted to?

Or, is the adhesive thoughtfully produced so that the shield actually WILL peel off cleanly and easily, leaving pretty much a perfectly clean glass screen surface behind with no adhesive residue, so that a brand new shield can then be applied?

I can certainly deal with using some kind of glass cleaner (alcohol? computer screen cleaner? ammonia-free Windex?) to prepare the glass for the new shield, but I would hope there will not be a separation of the existing plastic top surface from its bottom adhesive (leaving the adhesive pretty much permanently stuck to the glass).

So... has anybody actually done this themselves? Changed the plastic shield, peeling off the old one and applying a new one?

No problem? Or problem?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-19-2010, 04:49 PM
Redneck Moderator

A good screen protector will come off cleanly. If it doesn't just do as you said and use a little bit of alcohol on it and clean it up a bit.

Old 08-19-2010, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post
I actually had assumed that anytime I got fingerprints all over the plastic on the screen that I could just breathe on it and then wipe away the smudges with a 100% cotton soft cloth. Well... seem that's not exactly correct.
If you have any sort of plastic or glass surface that you don't want to scratch (like sunglasses, camera lenses, mp3 player displays), DON'T use a soft cotton cloth. Spend the money and get a microfiber cleaning cloth.

And all the quality screen protectors I've used don't leave a residue when removed.

Old 08-20-2010, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danfried View Post
If you have any sort of plastic or glass surface that you don't want to scratch (like sunglasses, camera lenses, mp3 player displays), DON'T use a soft cotton cloth. Spend the money and get a microfiber cleaning cloth.
In retrospect, I agree completely.

Everytime I get a new pair of glasses (or lenses), I always buy at least one new cleaning cloth sold by the opticians as "impulse items". They truly do work amazingly well, and I only use them when cleaning my glasses. Remarkable, really... and they leave absolutely zero streaks or smudges.

Don't know why it didn't occur to me to also use them on this plastic shield I installed to protect my J3's glass screen. But I absolutely will use them going forward.

Thanks.

Old 08-20-2010, 03:01 AM

I have Zagg's Invisible Shield on my D2 and it does work very well. Plus it smudges a lot less.

Old 08-28-2010, 09:43 AM

Better to have the screen protector scratched than the actual screen itself so why not?

I know it's not really related to the thread but is the J3 screen size the same as the S9? Since I plan to buy a screen protector that was originally made for the S9 to apply on my J3 since the current one is damaged...

Old 08-28-2010, 12:30 PM

Covers slightly darken screens, as is their want.

Old 01-30-2011, 03:01 AM

Ryan, I just saw your message. Zagg Invisible Shield is international. They are all over the place. If you go to their site, which is http://www.zagg.com and send them an email they could probably put you in touch with a reseller in your area. If not, you can order one online. It looks like they have gone back to the rubber squeegee that I liked so much. I clicked on accessories and found the installation kit and it shows a rubber squeegee which they proclaim is included with every invisible shield order. This is very good news indeed.

Old 01-30-2011, 03:07 AM

Castiel, I think the J3 screen is slightly larger than the S9. Can anyone confirm this? If so, the S9 will be too small. Go to Zagg.com and tell them you need an invisibleshield for your Cowon J3. They are really cool people and may ask you to send your device in. Often when devices are brand new the only way Zagg can "build" an invisible shield is to have a model to work with. I actually got a free invisible shield for a samsung mp3 player a few years back because my model was brand new and they didn't have a shield for it but had received a lot of requests. So, I got an invisible shield installed on my device and they added the invisible shield for my device to the list. I don't know if they're still doing this but you can still ask them. I personally believe Invisible Shield is the best investment we can make. I have one for my digital camera, my cell phone, and my mp3 player. Once they're on they don't come off unless you apply a lot of pressure.

Old 03-21-2011, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Fingerprints can be cleaned off easily. Just breathe on the screen and then use a 100% soft cotton cloth or chamois to buff away the grease and fingerprints.

Who leaves fingerprints on a J3's screen...protective plastic sheet or glass? CRIMINAL!!!
Aye, i know. I obessively clean my HTC phone and J3 everyday, although i know that as soon as i touch it i'll get more fingerprints. OCD is a cause i tell thee

Last edited by robgmun; 03-21-2011 at 12:10 PM.

Old 03-27-2011, 02:37 AM

Default better yet for extra protection

I use a sheet of plastic made for protecting the bottoms of skis from rocks and sand in the snow, cut to fit, and the adhesive on it holds it on for good. but never try to take it off with out some 99% isopropyle alchohol nearby to cut the adhesive.

Old 06-08-2011, 10:30 AM

Zagg doesn't have the protective film for the J3

search

Old 06-13-2011, 11:04 AM

I ordered the REALOOK screen protector for my J3, perfect fit, easy installation, looks great (virtually unnoticeable) and comes with 2 protective films. Took me all of about 15 seconds to put it on (after cleaning the screen of course). I've used Zagg in the past, but there's not one for the J3. Customer Service said they don't have one on schedule for release either.

Right now the REALOOK protector is $10 plus free shipping on Amazon.com
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003RBFDJM.

And to answer the OP question: YES, protective film is worth it. As others have already said, it's much easier to replace a screen protector than the actual screen.

Old 06-14-2011, 03:20 AM

Screen protector is a good idea; just don't expect having one will enable you to use any significant amount of pressure to clean it (needed to get the fingerprint smudges off unless you use some kind of cleaning liquid) or it will scratch if there's any hard particles in the fingerprint grease and you'll get distracting rainbow patterns of light through the scratches. Had to throw the one I got from Cowon away. Scratching (whether of the protective film or the screen itself) is less likely if you keep it wrapped in a silicone case to protect it from drops because the protrusion of the silicone keeps the screen from touching any surface you lay it on.

Old 06-14-2011, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyomil View Post
Screen protector is a good idea; just don't expect having one will enable you to use any significant amount of pressure to clean it (needed to get the fingerprint smudges off unless you use some kind of cleaning liquid) or it will scratch if there's any hard particles in the fingerprint grease and you'll get distracting rainbow patterns of light through the scratches.
True.

On my original J3 I thought that using a 100% cotton T-shirt as the cloth would be safe (after I breathed on the screen/protector). But as you said, surprisingly it is possible that you can still scuff and scratch the plastic protector sheet.

Fortunately, my original J3 had to be replaced by Cowon via RMA, and they sent me a second protector sheet. This time, I don't use a cotton rag to clean it. Instead, I use a micro-fiber lens cleaning cloth (spare, from eyeglasses) and am very careful not to rub to hard after breathing on the sheet before cleaning.

But you're right... it is possible to scuff the protector itself, if you abuse it while cleaning too hard and/or with the wrong cloth.

Old 06-15-2011, 08:26 PM

But as has been said, it's much easier (and cheaper) to replace a screen protector... Also agree with a good silicone case being essential... and throw in a microfiber cleaning cloth too!

Quote:
True.

On my original J3 I thought that using a 100% cotton T-shirt as the cloth would be safe (after I breathed on the screen/protector). But as you said, surprisingly it is possible that you can still scuff and scratch the plastic protector sheet.

Fortunately, my original J3 had to be replaced by Cowon via RMA, and they sent me a second protector sheet. This time, I don't use a cotton rag to clean it. Instead, I use a micro-fiber lens cleaning cloth (spare, from eyeglasses) and am very careful not to rub to hard after breathing on the sheet before cleaning.

But you're right... it is possible to scuff the protector itself, if you abuse it while cleaning too hard and/or with the wrong cloth.