android
Old 02-27-2010, 12:26 AM

Default D2+ or iAudio7

I'm looking to get comparisons/opinions on these two players, as these are the main two I'm looking at.

First off, I don't care about video. If I get the D2+ I definitely won't be watching videos on it. I'm only going to be using my player for audio. So that is why the iAudio7 may be more ideal. But...the highest it comes in is 16GB. The D2+ comes in 16GB, but it also uses external storage. So that's a huge plus. But then again, the 16GB iAudio7 is cheaper than the 16GB D2+. So that's a huge plus too.

So I guess the thing that will decide this for me is sound quality. Which one has the better sound quality? I read that the D2+ has something called BBE+, but the iAudio7 doesn't. The iAudio7 has something called JetEffect? Not quite sure.

So, for the ones that know a lot about Cowons(or has owned both of these players), considering what I'm wanting in a player(basically audio only and great sound), which Cowon model do you think I should go for?

Any opinions will be much appreciated. So please don't hesitate to say yours.

Thank you.

EDIT: Or actually, I was looking at the Sansa Clip+ too. It's only 8GB, but also can use external storage. But I"m not sure how the sound quality is of that player. Any opinions on this?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-27-2010, 12:54 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Both players should sound very similar, there are those that say the D2 is a little different (colder) and there are those that hate the i7 UI, but I doubt there’s much of a difference in sound quality. I still use the i7 and have been very happy with mine over that last 3 yrs.

JetEffect is Cowon's sound enhancements featured on both players - 5 Band EQ (normal, rock, jazz, classic, pop, vocal and user definable, BBE, Mach3Bass (enhances low end bass), MP Enhance (restores distorted music from digital compression), 3D Surround, Pan (left/right balance) and 10 presets. BTW BBE+ is an upgrade from the previous BBE, both are great players, but if you want the latest and gapless the compare should be either the s9 or the i9 ...

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 02-27-2010, 01:14 AM

Thank you for your reply, WalkGood, and for the info about BBE+/JetEffect.

I just checked out the i9, and it does look pretty impressive. But...the 16GB model is about ten bucks more than the D2, and it doesn't even have the ability for external storage. So yeah, price is playing a little factor in my purchase, so I might rule the i9 for the reason I stated. But I'm going to look into it more.

And about the i7 UI, are you talking about its "Swing-Touch Interface"? I was hoping there would be a video of this UI in motion on the Cowon site, but there isn't. Can you explain a little about that? I'm guessing there isn't any touchscreen involved at all. All the selecting of albums and songs are done through buttons? So then why do people hate the UI?

Thanks.

Actually, the more and more I look at the i7 the more I kind of want it. And for around $100 for the 16GB model, I think that's a pretty good deal. And now that I know that BBE is on the i7(plus the other enhancements you mentioned), I'm pretty much leaning towards that now.

EDIT: By the way, probably a silly question, but the i7 can use sub-folders, right? Like say I make a main folder named Duke Ellington. Then a make a sub-folder for each of his albums inside of that main Duke folder(so I can have ten of fifteen sub-folders in that main folder), will the i7 show all those albums?

Last edited by h8uthemost; 02-27-2010 at 01:21 AM.

Old 02-27-2010, 02:24 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I never had issue with the UI, I was relaying what I've heard from others, I'm still an i7 user. The video below shows you the UI so you can see it in use and yes you can have folders how you described, that's how I have all my tunes set up.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 02-27-2010, 10:14 PM

Thank you WalkGood. I've read the reviews here, and I think I"m going to go for the i7. I know the player is about three years old, but for superior sound it evidently has, and for the price of it, I think it's a good buy.

Unless anyone has any other players they want to recommend to me. It doesn't necessarily have to be a Cowon, it can be anything else.

Thanks again for your help WalkGood.

Old 04-07-2010, 02:13 PM

i also considered to buy one of those and decided for the d2+.

why?

- the i7 is a rather bulky brick. have a look at some videos on youtube to get an impression. i like the size of the d2+ much better.
- the d2+ has expandable memory with sd-cards. a must have vor me, 16gb is too little for my music collection.
- i like the touch-screen interface of the d2+. some say it's too complicated, i'm fine with it.
- the tuner of the d2+ is quite ok, and has the possibility of recording at any time wanted. great feature - maybe the i7 has that too? check it!

no, i don't watch videos. just wanted a good sounding and good quality player, and i'm very happy with my choice.

Old 04-07-2010, 03:23 PM

I hope you have better luck than me. I had battery problems with my iaudio 7, so I sent it to Cowon and they sent me another messed up iaudio 7.

Old 04-07-2010, 03:31 PM

I have both D2 and Iaudio7. I prefer the d2 and use it more because of the bigger screen and controls, and SD slot. The only thing I prefer about I7 is the in-line recording with a standard cable.

Old 06-25-2010, 12:07 AM

Well I ended up going with the D2+. The expandable memory is what swayed my decision. Eventhough I'll be saving room by switching from mp3 to ogg(freakin' hated that the Zune didn't support ogg), 16GB will still fill up pretty quickly.

But so far I'm really diggin' the D2+. It sounds absolutely fantastic. Actually it sounds just as good as I thought it would. I have a pretty good pair of Sennheiser in-ears that I use, but I also thought that phones that came with the Cowon sounded halfway decent too. Way better than the phones that came with my 1st gen Zune, and my girls iPod.

And being a Linux user, having drag n drop was a must. It's so weird to just plug my player into my computer, it pops up in Linux, and just drag some albums into the folder. Before I would have to get on Windows, wait for that slow, clunky, Zune software to fire up, then finally start adding some music. It was a pain to me.

Anyways, thanks for all the info guys. I really appreciate it.