android
Old 08-06-2010, 07:45 AM

Default Cowon J3 Explorer Icon

I made an icon for the J3, so it displays nicely in Windows Explorer. Just put the content of the ZIP file in the root directory of the player. You can also set both file's attributes to hidden, so you don't have to see them anymore. This only works in MSC mode.

Attached Files
File Type: zip Cowon_J3_Icon.zip (76.1 KB, 86 views)

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-06-2010, 08:09 AM
Ultra Senior Member

wow, nice dfkt. Feelin' the love for the J3? :-D
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 08-06-2010, 08:11 AM

is that clip icon MTP or MSC?

Old 08-06-2010, 08:25 AM

I wouldn't touch MTP with a 10-foot pole. Also, drive letters are only assigned to MSC devices.
Here you go: http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=56750

Old 08-06-2010, 08:28 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Corrupt file is all I get. Thanks for trying though, dfkt.

Old 08-06-2010, 08:34 AM

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaa ahhh!!!

gootchy gootchy goo.

so cute.

gootchy gootchy goo.

supersweet.

Old 08-06-2010, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olley View Post
Corrupt file is all I get. Thanks for trying though, dfkt.
I just tried downloading it with IE and got a corrupt archive. If that's the case with you, maybe use a better browser. Or try to fix your IE: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r176...refox-does-not

Old 08-06-2010, 11:40 AM

Works fine.
thank you for the icon

Old 08-08-2010, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
I made an icon for the J3, so it displays nicely in Windows Explorer. Just put it in the root directory of the player.
Ok, I give up.

Did exactly what you prescribe, and I do not see this icon.

Is this for WinXP only? Does it also work in Win7?

Unzipped, placed the ICO file in the root of the internal storage of the J3, rebooted my Win7 machine. I still show the original standard Win7 icon for the removable drives (I also have an external storage card inserted into the J3).

What am I not doing correctly? I've tried all types of displays in Explorer and Computer (small icons, medium icons, large icons, tiles, etc.) and none of them show your icon for the J3's two drives.

NOTE: just looked more closely at the ICO file, and it says its dimensions are 32x56613!!! That certainly is unacceptable for an icon (in Win7). Is this what other people see as well???

Last edited by DSperber; 08-08-2010 at 02:32 PM.

Old 08-08-2010, 02:27 PM

Did you also put the autorun.ini in the root? Is autorun enabled on your Win7?

For further help, in the same thread I posted on iAudiophile there are some possible workarounds for the annoyances Win7 gives in getting autorun to work, from post #11 on: http://iaudiophile.net/forums/showthread.php?t=37347

Old 08-08-2010, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Did you also put the autorun.ini in the root? Is autorun enabled on your Win7?
No, I hadn't. Your instructions at the front of this thread did not mention that at all. You only said to copy the ICO file to the root of the J3.

So, now I've also copied the autorun.inf (it's autorun.inf, not autorun.ini as you state above) file to the root of the J3. I'm afraid it still does not have any effect for my Win7 Pro x64 system. Still shows the standard Win7 icons for removable drives.

Quote:
For further help, in the same thread I posted on iAudiophile there are some possible workarounds for the annoyances Win7 gives in getting autorun to work, from post #11 on: http://iaudiophile.net/forums/showthread.php?t=37347
Well now you're asking for considerably more than "copy the ICO file to the root of the J3".

In fact, just yesterday you yourself (in this post) acknowledged that it seems to be Microsoft which has had a hand in making this fail for Win7. And then you provide a link to a page that describes Registry changes to overcome this... something I'm not really inclined to want to do.

Elsewhere in that same thread on iaudiophile.net there is a link to a totally separate product that allows customization of drive icons in Win7. I assume this will accept the use of your ICO file as part of that "customized" environment, but again I'm not really inclined to want to do that.

So... it certainly seems to be LOTS MORE DIFFICULT to make this work in Win7 than just "copy the ICO file to the root of the J3", or even "also copy the AUTORUN.INF file to the root of the J3".

Would have been nice to see that custom icon in Win7 as well as WinXP, but given all of these new complications and special requirements and customizations and 3rd-party hacks I think I'm just going to pass.

But I do appreciate the idea.

Thanks.

Old 08-08-2010, 02:59 PM

I wouldn't put the autorun.inf in the ZIP archive if it wouldn't be needed. I just wrote " put it in the root directory" in the first post because I thought it would be rather obvious that "it" meant the content of the ZIP file. I rewrote that sentence... Furthermore, I also clearly wrote that you can set both files to hidden.

Old 08-08-2010, 03:04 PM

One more item...

I looked in my Win7 Registry (as instructed by this article that you pointed to) and just as described the autorun-related value is the standard Win7 default of 0x91 (145).

If I interpret this correctly, that means autoplay from a removable drive is NOT DISABLED. Thus I believe your AUTORUN.INF file should be performed when the J3 is plugged into the PC. Thus there should be nothing for me to do, and your ICO file should be "run" when the J3 is connected in MSC mode... and I would then assume should show up in Explorer for the two drives of the J3 (or at least for the internal storage drive). Should I also copy the ICO and INF files to the root of the external card, to theoretically get the custom icon for the second drive as well?

And yet, it does not happen.

Thoughts?

Old 08-08-2010, 03:08 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't put the autorun.inf in the ZIP archive if it wouldn't be needed. I just wrote " put it in the root directory" in the first post because I thought it would be rather obvious that "it" meant the content of the ZIP file. I rewrote that sentence... Furthermore, I also clearly wrote that you can set both files to hidden.
On second reading I now see that. Agreed that you clearly put the INF file in the ZIP file because it obviously was needed. My mistake.

I hadn't originally noticed that there was anything other than the ICO file since I wasn't really paying close attention (my fault, obviously) when I unzipped it. There are several other files in that same directory of mine (e.g. the various Cowon firmware ZIP files and the unzipped latest 2.21 files, etc.), and I simply didn't notice that your AUTORUN.INF had appeared along with the ICO file. But now I see that you do make reference to "the content of the ZIP file", and certainly do refer to "both files".

Might I suggest that it would probably eliminate all future mistakes like I made if you would just put a parenthetical addition of "(both ICO and INF files)" after your phrase "the content of the ZIP file". Had I seen those words I never would have overlooked this requirement.

Old 08-08-2010, 04:04 PM

Cool, now all I need is a J3

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 08-09-2010, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
Cool, now all I need is a J3
ditto.

Old 08-09-2010, 04:14 AM

Just to reiterate...

This does NOT seem to work with Win7.

Old 09-11-2010, 10:58 PM

Ok. Now that I have my newly replaced J3 back in my hands, I decided to give this one more try again.

I had actually been suspicious that my earlier failures to show the J3 icon were due to the fact that I didn't really have free drive letters in my 2-computer home network machines (due to the 4 hard drives on one machine and 5 hard drives on the other machine, each drive being further partitioned, along with card readers, DVD drives, etc.).

In other words each machine has local drive letters going from C-O, with network drive letters (addressing the partitions and drives on the other machine) going from P-Z. These network connection drive letter assignments are reestablished at boot time. So I actually don't (or didn't) have free drive letters for the J3 to get assigned at USB/MSC connection time.

And apparently, simply "disconnecting" two network connections to free up those drive letters didn't seem to allow the new Cowon J3 icon to get shown in Windows Explorer. At least that's what must have been happening.

Ok, this time I disconnected P and Q (and left them disconnected, not reestablishing the network connections at re-boot)... and then rebooted. And then I plugged in the J3 and got P and Q assigned to the two drives in the J3.

Then I copied the two files (both Cowon_J3.ico as well as Autorun.inf) over to both the internal and external storage drives of the J3. Then I "safely removed hardware", pulled the USB cable, and re-booted Windows (again, P and Q are once again freely available for the J3's drives).

Now I plugged in the J3 again, and the two drive letters once again got assigned.

However NOW THE NEW J3 ICONS APPEAR IN THE "DEVICES WITH REMOVABLE STORAGE" group in My Computer (e.g. in "tiles" view), along with the J3 icons appearing on the left side of Explorer showing the assigned drive letters.

I further confirmed that this same successful result occurs in both Win7 as well as WinXP, as long as P and Q (or any two letters) are free to be assigned to the removable USB device's drives (i.e. that there is no borrowed/shared network drive letter that gets used) so that the new J3 icons can get "auto-run".

NOTE: the autorun capability (for these icons) in Win7 IS "on" by default for "removable devices". I did not have to do anything to customize or hack a Registry entry to make this happen. I simply had to have genuinely free and currently unassigned drive letters available (ie.. with no conflict with a network drive letter use).

So... success. Finally. Problem solved.

Thank you for these icons.

(1) WinXP success:

(2) Win7 success:

Old 09-14-2010, 06:18 AM

How is this done in MTP mode? (By that I mean, "How do icons work in MTP?", understanding that this procedure only works for MSC.)

I have a Walkman "E" that shows an icon in MTP, so obviously it can be done.

I know you don't like MTP, but I hope to set up some playlists. Have you had any luck with those in MSC mode?

Old 01-23-2011, 02:58 PM

Very nice, Thanks dfkt.