android
Old 08-05-2010, 08:53 AM

Default What does this stuff on the equalizer mean!!??

Hi, I've been using my X for a while now, and I fiddle around with the custom equalizer to get the sound to my liking.
The complete audio noob that I am, I didn't have a clue as to what exactly I was doing by moving those switches up and down. Can somebody tell me what exactly each thing means?!
I'm so sorry that I'm such a noob...

Pointing me to a website, anything would be fine...

Thanks in advance!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-05-2010, 01:32 PM

here's a comprehensive article of equalization:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equalization

So for example, when you move the 0.4 kHz (400 Hz) switch a knotch up, it will boost the frequencies around 0.4kHz for one desibel which is pretty much enough to change the sound character a bit. In walkman X, you're able to change frequencies of one waveband from -3 to +3 desibel.

By moving these switches up and down, you might find the setting that is for your liking. It's unique and depends also from the headphones quality and type you have.

The clearbass is a technology that boosts deep bass frequencies (around 20-150hz) without adding distortion to the sound. So if you like highlighted drums in songs (which I also am..) try moving it's switch up a knotch or two

That's pretty much how basicly I can explain it, but if you got any questions, don't be afraid of asking them!

Old 08-06-2010, 01:07 AM

Thanks a lot for the information! It really helped!

So would 0.4 KHz be low sounds like a orchestral bass, and would 0.16 KHz be high pitches sounds like a violin or a symbol?
What would I raise if I wanted to hear the intricate sounds of strings being plucked on a guitar?
Sorry for all the questions, and again, thanks for the info!

Old 08-06-2010, 04:20 AM

0.4 kHz isn't quite enough low for orchestra bass, you should use the clearbass switch for that; As far as I know, orchestra bass can produce less than 50 hz waves (0.05 kHz), violin can do 200 Hz to 10 kHz and guitar from 60 hz to 12 kHz. Boosting 16kHz starts to be pretty unnatural sound for music we listen IMO but it's really up to your liking, like always!

But after all it's really up to the band and which kind of guitars they play and how they're tuned and of course, their quality, so I suggest you to try different combinations of settings.

What comes to hearing the intricate sounds, if trying different combinations in equalizer doesn't help, the bottleneck might be your headphones. The more expensive the headphones are, the lower bass tones it can play, also it seperates the guitar plucking much better and the "soundstage" grows (you hear the position of the player better).
Tho, if you're OK with your current headphones, I do not suggest listening to more expensive headphones.. There's no turning back then anymore!

Old 08-06-2010, 08:40 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyrsy View Post
...SNIPPED...Tho, if you're OK with your current headphones, I do not suggest listening to more expensive headphones.. There's no turning back then anymore!
Man, ain't that the truth my friend...
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 08-08-2010, 01:21 AM

Alright! Thanks a lot for you information and advice hyrsy! It really helped a lot.
Also, just one last question...
Disregarding price and regarding price, what earphones/ headphones do you suggest/ think are really good?
Thanks!

Old 08-08-2010, 03:35 AM
Ultra Senior Member

There are the Hippo VB's, Phonak PFE's, Panasonic HJE900's, etc.

Old 08-08-2010, 12:49 PM

^ yes, those are good quality / value ratio headphones

Headphones and earphones price varies from few bucks to 1,5k$ so it's better to read forums and look for user's opinions on different phones. I quickly took few good links to look through..
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...splay.php?f=22
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/list/103
and some "shootout" threads:
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=15243
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/...lz-added-07-31
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/...85-added-08-04

Finding a good set of phones might take few days but usually you're happy with the dedicion. Good luck!

Old 08-10-2010, 06:50 AM

Thanks a lot!
I REALLY appreciate your guys' help!!!