android
Old 08-01-2010, 03:14 PM

Default AVI h.264/MP3 video tutorial using SUPER

DEPRECATED!

Please see new thread here

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi everyone.

I've noticed quite a lot of people asking about, or having problems with encoding h.264 video to work on the S9. Whilst there are answers floating about, I thought it would be much easier to have a single thread on ABI that people can refer to, rather than having to open a new one each time.

There will be some simple/obvious stuff in here, but I want it to answer as many questions as possible. I will also update this over time, hopefully adding a guide for Badak too.

Why bother with h.264?
---------------------------

h.264 achieves a higher quality for a given bit rate than other MPEG-4 codecs, such as XViD or DiVX.

Simply put, a video file encoded using h.264 can have a smaller file size than an XViD or DiVX file to obtain the same level of quality.
For the same file size, h.264 will yield higher quality.

This makes h.264 support highly desirable for portable media devices, and is worth taking advantage of where you possibly can.

h.264 support for the S9
-----------------------------

The Cowon S9 DOES support h.264 video, but only in quite a specific way, as we will see later. For the majority of people, these restrictions should not pose any problem, and conversion is easy enough.

What converters are out there?
-----------------------------------

Whilst there are no end of freeware or shareware video converters, either Badak or SUPER are recommended for use with the S9, as some converters are not capable of producing compatible video. For example, Handbrake is (unfortunately) not suitable.

Using SUPER
--------------

1) Open SUPER. If you are using Windows Vista or 7 it is recommended that you run it in 'Administrator mode'.

2) There are several options that must be set correctly for the resulting video to be compatible. These out outlined in red below:

NOTE: MP4 container with AAC LC audio does work with H.264 (I believe from firmware version 2.50 and above), but I have had some problems with quality. Therefore, I recommend sticking with .AVI and MP3

3) Now click on the icon near the top-right labelled"H264 Profile". A box similar to below should appear.

It is important to set the options as I have shown above, else the resulting video may not be compatible. Levels lower than 2.2 may work, but these restrict the video resolution so it is recommended that you stick with 2.2. The BaseLine profile MUST be used, as the S9 does not support CABAC, and the number of reference frames must be set to 1.

Whilst video using 2 or 3 reference frames can actually be played by the S9, I have sometimes experienced problems with artifacts in the video. As it is not consistent, and the benefit of multiple reference frames is quite small, I would reccommend using only 1.

4) Click the icon labelled "Other Opts" below the previous icon. Set the options this box to the same as below:

You may allow SUPER to adjust the encode volume if required, though be careful, as increasing it too much will introduce clipping (distortion). If you do need to do this, I would suggest you try 3db or maybe 6dB initially.

DO NOT allow SUPER to "Insert BFrames" as this will make the video incompatible.

5) Add your video files by right-clicking within SUPER and selecting "Add Multimedia Files".

It's worth noting that SUPER is capable of handling a wide range of input video formats. You can even convert straight from DVD TS files, though I would suggest using some other encode between TS files and SUPER. I tend to use Handbrake, as I keep the intermediate Handbrake MKV file (full res and high quality) on my PC with the relevant parts of the DVD (ie. certain chapters and correct subtitles, if required), then convert this 'master' file using SUPER for my S9 file.

6) Resolution and aspect ratio. You will need to make some intelligent choice about resolution of the output video. As stated earlier, I have not had any success with videos larger than 480x272. The main factor in choosing a resolution should be the aspect ratio of the input video. I make a particular effort to maintain this, as otherwise the squashed output can look terrible on the S9!

If the input video is 16:9 then output should be 480x272. This also goes for files where the actual content is some other ratio, but the file includes the 'black bars' and the overall aspect is 16:9 (typical for DVDs). When ripping DVDs for the S9, it is sensible not to crop these black bars, as it makes life easier at this stage.

For other aspect ratios, I divide the input width by input height to give you the ratio. Divide 480 by this value to give you the height to use on the S9. Use a custom aspect ratio by clicking "More" on the "Video Scale Size" region at the top of SUPER, and enter the width as 480 and the height as your calculated value.

7) Make sure the checkbox next to the files is checked, then click the button at the bottom labelled "Encode (active files)"

8) A small box will now pop-up:

You should select the radio button labelled "H264" and click OK.

Then just wait for the results!

Restrictions on video resolution and bit rate
-------------------------------------------------

Whilst level 2.2 does allow videos of a higher resolution than the screen of the S9 (480x272), I have no success so far with videos larger than this size. I *assume* this means that it does not support videos bigger than this, but I may be wrong. If it does not, then it would be bad news for people who like to use the S9 for TV-out.

There will also be a limitation on the maximum bit rate that can be used, as with all videos. So far, I have not found this so I believe that it is quite high.

Recommendation for video bit rate and resolution
---------------------------------------------------------

I suggest that any video should be encoded to a size that maintains its aspect ratio, rather than simply using 480x272 for everything.

I generally use a video bit rate of 480 kbits for films at 480x272, but for animated material or lower resolution videos, then you can get away with much less. For example, for some cartoons as 368x272 I have used as low as 240 kbps, and the quality is still acceptable.

A typical film at 480x272 @25fps will occupy ~500MB at 480kbps.
A 10 minute cartoon at 368x272 @29.97fps will occupy ~30MB at 240kbps.

If you feel that you can get away with less, then do! You can achieve some really small file sizes and cram your S9 full of video! It's all down to what quality you think you can put up with.

Recommendation for audio sample rate and bit rate
------------------------------------------------------------

For most films, the sample rate is 48KHz or higher. For this reason, I always use a 48KHz sample rate for films.

For films I would recommend using a minimum of 160kbps. However, if you feel you are happy with less, then go for it. With some films that I have encoded, 48KHz 128kbps has resulted in some very annoying distortion at low frequency. Increasing the bit rate solved the problem.

For animated material, I typically use a 44.1KHz sample rate, or occasionally 32KHz if I am really trying to minimise the file size. 112 kbps or 96 kbps would be a satisfactory minimum in my opinion.

Hope that helps people!
If anyone has any further questions or anything, just give me a shout!

Last edited by hazza_t10; 01-18-2012 at 04:20 PM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-04-2010, 01:16 PM

Can't wait to try this on my J3.

Old 08-05-2010, 06:12 AM

That program works very well for making low file size decent quality files. Can't wait to see if it works on my J3 when it arrives .

Thank you.

Old 08-07-2010, 08:50 AM

it is amazing.

i followed the guide completely and it transformed and converted a 300 mb music video of about 4:30 minutes to 19 mb or so.

i couldnt believe it

Old 08-08-2010, 02:11 PM

Thank you for your tutorial, some comments :

Quote:
Note that h.264 will NOT work in any container other than .AVI or with any audio codec other than .MP3.
False. Hopefully, WAV does work too allowing you to have clips with lossless audio.

Quote:
It is also recommended that MEncoder is used, rather than FFMPEG.
Well, unfortunatly MEncoder does not seem to support stretching to full screen .

Old 08-09-2010, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thib View Post
Thank you for your tutorial, some comments :

False. Hopefully, WAV does work too allowing you to have clips with lossless audio.

Well, unfortunatly MEncoder does not seem to support stretching to full screen .

Firstly, thanks for the comments everyone, feedback is greatly appreciated

Hi there Thib, the format support is something I need to update on the guide actually, as from S9 firmware 2.50 (well, I didn't get this working before then), Cowon appear to have added support for h.264 in a .MP4 container with AAC-LC audio. I believe the J3 will also have this support, but I won't be able to check myself as I only have the S9. If anyone could confirm this please, that would be great! I'm pretty sure that WAV is supported ... but I will double check when I update the guide.

What exactly do you mean about 'stretch to fullscreen'? Do you mean to remove any black bars on widescreen? Otherwise, I believe the J3 can stretch video to the fit the display. You could also force the video into some unusual resolution when you encode.

Old 08-09-2010, 02:47 PM

Just tested an encoded video on my J3 and they work 100% without flaw .

Old 08-11-2010, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazza_t10 View Post
Firstly, thanks for the comments everyone, feedback is greatly appreciated

Hi there Thib, the format support is something I need to update on the guide actually, as from S9 firmware 2.50 (well, I didn't get this working before then), Cowon appear to have added support for h.264 in a .MP4 container with AAC-LC audio. I believe the J3 will also have this support, but I won't be able to check myself as I only have the S9. If anyone could confirm this please, that would be great! I'm pretty sure that WAV is supported ... but I will double check when I update the guide.

What exactly do you mean about 'stretch to fullscreen'? Do you mean to remove any black bars on widescreen? Otherwise, I believe the J3 can stretch video to the fit the display. You could also force the video into some unusual resolution when you encode.
I mean removing black bars indeed. I have video clips in .vob with lossless audio and I'd like to convert with best vid quality, lossless audio, no bars and
deinterlace. I've suceeded in doing it with DVDFab using Divx but the video wasn't nice at all... Actually the main problem is that the option "stretch to fullscreen" in SUPER is greyed when using MEncoder and other encoders don't work...
I thought I could drag and drop vob files on the J3, it's simple DVD files after all... Thanks for your help but I don't think there is much you can do about this very specific problem .

Old 08-20-2010, 07:59 AM

Thanks for the tutorial, hazza_t10 - works a treat with these settings.

I just wanted to add that any h264 encode looks the best when the width and height are divisible by 16. For example, for a standard 1:2.35 Cinemascope movie, I used a resolution of 480x208 (a height of 204 would be closer to the original aspect ratio, but isn't divisible by 16).

1:2.35 = 480x208
16:9 = 480x272
4:3 = 368x272

Old 08-20-2010, 06:03 PM

A very good addition, these are the settings I use myself for those respective aspect ratios!

Thanks very much, and I will add these suggestions into the guide as soon as I can Thanks!!!

Old 09-19-2010, 10:13 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I'll be checking this out in a day or so, as the hopeless jetaudio video conversion app keeps crashing on me. Thanks in advance!!!

Old 10-04-2010, 12:32 PM

Worked like a charm, thanks.....

Old 10-17-2010, 04:25 PM

@hazza_t10
Thanks for wonderful tutorial.
You wrote that You used Handbrake as a sort of intermidiate between DVD & Super.
Could you please tell me the exact Handbrake settings You use to make an MKV file from DVD TS files (Is it possible to use Handbrake not to encode DVD but just to make an MKV file with pristine DVD parameters?)

Last edited by karuna; 10-18-2010 at 02:24 AM. Reason: add question

Old 10-26-2010, 06:49 PM

Whenever I click "Encode (Active Files)" the program just disappears - it crashes or something. Anyone know a fix for this?

Old 10-29-2010, 09:28 AM

Default I get the same problem ...

the program just disappears. Why and how do I fix it?

Old 10-30-2010, 01:43 PM

I tried the MEncoder and it gave me mixed results :[ The sound was muddy and horrible or vice versa where the video quality was downgraded.
I've done some tweaking around and discovered that ffmpeg gives out much better quality than the MEncoder. All i did was change from Hi Quality to Top Quality on the right side.

Obviously it'll give out a higher file size output(not by alot really..). I input a HD 230 mb music video and it gave an output of 150ish mb with superb or near identical quality to the input. But yea for those who want to really put the AMOLED to good use should convert with this method.

I may be possibly wrong because i have no prior knowledge of video converting. All i can share is my personal experience from tweaking around. Please correct me if i am wrong :[

Btw: I used these settings on my J3 and it worked perfectly. I can't speak for S9 as i do not own one.

Old 10-30-2010, 10:26 PM

No one knows why SUPER force closes when I click "encode (active files)?"

Old 10-31-2010, 06:14 AM

I just upgraded my old Super build 38 to the new build 39, and it broke everything. Build 38 worked perfectly fine, build 39 closes itself as soon as the encode button is pushed.

I uninstalled build 39, also cleaned the registry, tried to reinstall build 38 (and then 37 as well), but it won't work anymore. Build 37 and 38 won't even start anymore. Let's hope they release a fixed build soon.

I'm running XP Pro SP3 32bit.

Old 10-31-2010, 11:02 AM

I'm using the build 39 right now with no problem on windows vista home premium 64 bit o_o

Old 10-31-2010, 03:01 PM

Actually they've already released build.41
here's the changelog:
[ADD] A key to the MENU to select the 'Older Validation Procedure' as the new one is causing SUPER© to shut down on few PCs when encoding
[FIX] Code modification related to the Vorbis Audio Codec causing encoding errors