android
Old 08-17-2010, 10:54 AM

Playtest video:
Like my work? Tell your friends. Don't like it? Tell me so I can improve. ^.^

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-17-2010, 11:09 AM

looks sweet! but what do you do in the game?

Old 08-17-2010, 11:13 AM

You will be playing as the cat. Your mission is to train your physical strength as well as learn magic to be able to defeat some monsters which are in the world for some reason yet to be decided. This game is in a pretty early stage, but it will feature a fighting screen later and some more things, but it will be kept pretty simple.

Old 08-17-2010, 11:22 AM
X-Fi2 Development Moderator

looks pretty good so far cant wait to see the full version

Old 08-17-2010, 12:59 PM

Looks great! You really see the cat's feet moving! Funny comments on the objects too, this is going to be a fun game!

Old 08-17-2010, 01:50 PM

Thanks guys ^^ I'll try and get some more programming squeezed in before I leave on the 20th. Then I'll be gone until the 29th, and on the 30th I begin my University program, so we'll see how my free time is then, hopefully I'll be able to make it more awesome since I'm going for a computer science/programming Uni.

Old 08-17-2010, 02:38 PM

wow! this looks good!

Old 08-19-2010, 02:32 PM

Tomorrow morning I leave for Prague until the end of the month, so development will stall until then. Sorry about that.

Old 08-19-2010, 04:11 PM

dang hey when you get to a enemy it should slide the screen to a new one when u and the monster are facing eachother on opposite sides of the screen and you can choose from a list of attacks and defences! that would be awsome!

Old 08-19-2010, 04:47 PM

Yeah, that's good. I need more feedback on how you want the fighting to be. It will be turn based ofc since that is the absolutely easiest, but in general the layout, if you want to be able to give up an attack for a defensive technique instead and what those could be and such. Also what kinds of attacks should there be? There are Meelee with the Cat's bodily arsenal of claws and teeth, but it will also feature magic, so I need ideas for spells of different kinds.

Old 08-20-2010, 05:17 AM

Ooh, good idea for a game! Another reason for us to glue our eyes to the screens of our MP3 players :P

On the Magic side of things, Think DragonFable, Pokemon, etc. Like, fireballs, lightning bolts, dark energy attacks, lvl 1 spells and so on. Also, do the good old protective item thing, where you find/buy these ancient rune things that give you x2 attack, x10 electricity resistance etc. That'd be pretty cool.

Look forward to this being released

Old 08-20-2010, 11:14 AM

man this is gonna be one awsome game!

Old 08-29-2010, 05:45 PM

I am now home from Prague, during my flight there and back I managed to get the game half-way into v0.0.6, but still no new version and no more actual gameplay.

I have one question though, so far the trainable "skills" you have is strength and magic, then there is also a "sharpness" of your claws, which can go dull with wear and tear so you have to sharpen them. But I want a third skill, but can't decide on what would be best, any ideas?

Hopefully I'll have some time developing this before my Uni starts up for real.

Old 08-30-2010, 12:13 AM

So, trainable skills eh?

Well, don't forget about the levels! Either you could do it the Oblivion way, and get up your skills to get up levels, or you could get up levels by getting XP then choosing skills (My personal favourite.)

I was thinking though, what about a cleanliness level, where the more you get into fights, you get drenched in blood and need to buy/find soap and (LOL!) jump into some water to get clean? Otherwise, people won't talk to you? Also you could make each individual magic skill have its own level (Pwnage programming much?) OR, the other skill could be smell or something. You pick up a scent and it allows you to find clues to get further on in the game?

HP is probably tied in with Strength, right?

Also dude, how are you going to work out the saving part of it? It may not be too important in a pre-alpha release, but it is certainly important once it's alpha!

One other thing, (sorry for dragging this out :P) Could you implement an upgradeable cal feature? Like, you start off with the regular bone claw, or something, then you get aluminum, then you get steel, titanium, platinum, then crystal? Like, they get dull over a longer period of time and do much more damage. That would be sick.

Finally, on the point of the UI, instead of making it like a Gameboy on the screen, why don't you take full use of the touch screen and make it so if you touch the are above the cat, he moves up, on left, he moves left, etc. But cut the screen diagonally so... ehh you probably get it. I reckon that would make your game that much more epic. I'll attach a picture so you see what I mean...

Last edited by S1M1S; 08-31-2010 at 02:28 AM.

Old 08-30-2010, 02:13 AM

The level up/choosing skills to upgrade would indeed be one way of solving it. Though I have been thinking more in the lines of that you train the skills on your surroundings, or by fighting.

Hp tied to strength, that's an idea, I have actually been wondering how to best implement an increase in Hp in a good way.

Upgradeable claws, I wonder... Most likely nothing I will focus on at the time but who knows about an update after the game is in a working state.

Saving, I know how to save stuff it's only a question of deciding on all data needed so the save can include it, after that it's just a matter of writing it.

Full screen play, The problem with this is that you wouldn't be able to as easily interact with objects, since there are right now at least 2 ways you can do it (View and action). Also it is made like a console to get a bit of a retro feel over it and "transform" your MP4 into a game device =P (And your image was broken btw)

Keep the ideas coming! I'm considering everything you say and pick out what I think I can manage to do and what I think would be the most appreciated.

Old 08-31-2010, 02:33 AM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habhome View Post
The level up/choosing skills to upgrade would indeed be one way of solving it. Though I have been thinking more in the lines of that you train the skills on your surroundings, or by fighting.
Then you could do it the Oblivion way, where when you get up a certain amount of skills, you go up a level... (Ooh, here's an idea!) where you can add a bonus point to one of your skills, so if you got, say, your strength up 2 points and your magic up 1, you go up a level... and you can add a bonus point to your magic and go 4 points up in all! Kewl! :P

Oh, and dude I'm practically on a 7 day weekend at the mo, so if you want you can throw some (easy) coding at me and I'll see what I can do :P

Last edited by S1M1S; 08-31-2010 at 03:12 AM.

Old 08-31-2010, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S1M1S View Post
Then you could do it the Oblivion way, where when you get up a certain amount of skills, you go up a level... (Ooh, here's an idea!) where you can add a bonus point to one of your skills, so if you got, say, your strength up 2 points and your magic up 1, you go up a level... and you can add a bonus point to your magic and go 4 points up in all! Kewl! :P

Oh, and dude I'm practically on a 7 day weekend at the mo, so if you want you can throw some (easy) coding at me and I'll see what I can do :P
Good idea, might be one way to solve it.

I'll see if I can come up with some easy task to give you, but I'm unsure what you classify as "easy" =P. And I've just started my Uni and will be a bit busy with a project there so I'm not sure when I get time to check it, I might this afternoon/evening though before we go at it seriously on the other project. But give me a definition of "easy" and I'll see if I have something I need done which you can help with.

Old 09-01-2010, 09:30 AM

Umm, lets just say I started off learning Lua while playing Garry's Mod, I'm 14, I only learnt what a func ... () was a week ago, and I haven't read any of the coding tips on this website (don't worry, I will :P )

I consider easy to be... Well, I dunno. Perhaps you should post a list of things you want done on the forum and I'll pick some things out. I'm not an excellent coder, but I CAN code. It's a start, eh?

Old 09-01-2010, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S1M1S View Post
Umm, lets just say I started off learning Lua while playing Garry's Mod, I'm 14, I only learnt what a func ... () was a week ago, and I haven't read any of the coding tips on this website (don't worry, I will :P )

I consider easy to be... Well, I dunno. Perhaps you should post a list of things you want done on the forum and I'll pick some things out. I'm not an excellent coder, but I CAN code. It's a start, eh?
Absolutely it's a start. I'm not a master myself. I just started my Computer science program and I feel completely useless. Oh, and I will from now on have a 8 hours a day schedule where I have to work on my Uni project, so I am afraid development of this will get very very slow.

As for a function I need, it would be one which checks the exp you gain from an action and via a formula calculates if the level should be upped by 1. The function itself is not very hard to make, what requires more thought is what formula to use so that the increase in exp needed per level isn't too steep, or too flat.

It would be used so that I could simply call it with a string like such:
Code:
giveExp("magic")
and it would then give Exp to the magic skill and check if it reached a new level, and in that case increase the level by one.

That much I think could be developed without having to read through my code and try to implement it directly. You can set your own global or local variables and I will change them accordingly so it is implemented into my code, if the code is working that is If you feel that you absolutely can't make a prototype of it and instead want to implement it directly to my code, then I can send you the latest dev version and you could try it.

If you can't do this then just suggesting a good formula will help greatly as well, since the actual function should be pretty straightforward to make.

Old 09-03-2010, 09:42 AM

I reckon I can do that, give me a few days

Oh, and you mean you want to be able to

Code:
call giveExp("magic")
to call the func 'giveExp' with the parameter of "magic" right? I can do that, but the code will probably not be optimized. I'll see whether this is within my coding ability.

Tags
creative, habhome, lua, neko apprentice, rpg, xfi2, zen