android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Microsoft Zune > Zune HD

Old 07-31-2010, 10:40 AM

Maybe I would like the MSN money app if I could actually get a freaking WiFi connection -.-''

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-31-2010, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lem7 View Post
The animal app isn't my type of app I consider fun but I'll save that app for when I'm on the go and have nothing to do.

MSN money is a really nice looking, good app... But not my kind of app(I don't even know what a stock is =P )... But I could use the money converter, which is nice.

Very nice quality apps, but not the kind of apps im into.
See, that's my problem with these kinds of apps. They seem to be of a high quality in terms of their absence of bugs and overall appearance. But I would also have to have literally nothing else to do before I'm going to open these apps. Not that every release has to be a masterpiece or something, but they could be both more useful apps (like the Money app honestly) and simply deeper games. I want to play something that's interesting and at least mildly engaging. Animalgrams is not even close to that.

Old 08-01-2010, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icky6 View Post
Not that every release has to be a masterpiece or something, but they could be both more useful apps (like the Money app honestly) and simply deeper games. I want to play something that's interesting and at least mildly engaging. Animalgrams is not even close to that.
I totally agree with that. I do believe the puzzle genre is great for a device like the Zune, but I would like games with some complexity or a "twist". I gave the following games as examples some time back:
  • Puzzle Quest is just a Bejeweled rip-off. However, it adds a battle scheme and a few RPG elements which make it quite interesting. I still play it from time to time in my outdated mobile phone.
  • In Crush the Castle you have to hit all people by catapulting different objects. It is very simple, but the funny physics and multiple types of objects to throw (each of them having a different effect) make it an enjoyable and replayable game.
Animalgrams is a nicely implemented game but IMO it lacks the extra "twist" that would make it different from other word games and would engage people in playing it (for some weeks at least).

Old 08-01-2010, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubi79 View Post
The Money app is really well done; quite snappy and, despite the fact that it's a money app, is fun the use.Kudos on two well-done apps, Dave!
It's actually not bad...I thought it was going to be something like the money program for PC's that I used to do my finances with...that's why I could not understand people wanting this...however, it's good just for the money conversion which I actually need to use everyday for my job...

Old 08-01-2010, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icky6 View Post
See, that's my problem with these kinds of apps. They seem to be of a high quality in terms of their absence of bugs and overall appearance. But I would also have to have literally nothing else to do before I'm going to open these apps. Not that every release has to be a masterpiece or something, but they could be both more useful apps (like the Money app honestly) and simply deeper games. I want to play something that's interesting and at least mildly engaging. Animalgrams is not even close to that.
Multiple users have multiple interests. Personally, I love Animalgrams because I love word games. Just because your favorite app wasn't released today doesn't mean it won't be released eventually. Microsoft can't magically create an application that everyone can enjoy - I don't have a facebook, so I can't use facebook. I find Poker really fun to play - even though it's just a simple card game. It's all a matter of opinion.

Old 08-01-2010, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briankealing View Post
Multiple users have multiple interests. Personally, I love Animalgrams because I love word games. Just because your favorite app wasn't released today doesn't mean it won't be released eventually. Microsoft can't magically create an application that everyone can enjoy - I don't have a facebook, so I can't use facebook. I find Poker really fun to play - even though it's just a simple card game. It's all a matter of opinion.
Okay, but it's been the better part of a year and the Zune HD has only ever had these time-waster games released. That's fine if you personally enjoy them, but certainly they have no depth and there are plenty of people who think they're boring as hell. With 3D capabilities, there could be much deeper games.

Old 08-01-2010, 06:41 PM

Just got the update today.

Honestly, before downloading it myself, and seeing the latest news I was obviously unimpressed and thinking really now? A currency app, and animalgrams? "Sigh.." I figured, at least the animal app will be fun for a short while and the currency app probably useless.

Well... funny thing happened.

Loaded both apps, played with it a bit. And my thoughts changed on it.
The animal app doesn't appeal to me the slightest bit. It's quite boring and fails to grab my attention. However, the currency app is VERY INTERESTING. It surprisingly feature packed, with stocks and converters. Which are things I NEVER look at normally, but having an app for it, gets rid of that gap of the unknown and provides me the latest articles and stats on what's happening in the world.

I found it oddly mesmerizing.

Old 08-01-2010, 08:40 PM

They REALLY need to use the model of the Money app for upcoming releases. News, Mail, Skydrive (Office?)... It blows all the other apps out of the water in terms of design, speed and general awesomeness.

Are you getting this Dave?

Old 08-01-2010, 08:49 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubi79 View Post
They REALLY need to use the model of the Money app for upcoming releases. News, Mail, Skydrive (Office?)... It blows all the other apps out of the water in terms of design, speed and general awesomeness.
Couldn't agree more.

Old 08-02-2010, 03:20 AM

I really like the money app. I will use it a lot, as I am interested in it. Love the graphs and all info available. I think it is well designed.

Animalgrams is ok, except for the infinite help button no score thing. I do find it somehow challenging as English is not my mother language.

Even so I'd go for more entertaining apps. This is a step forward. Better than not getting anything.

Old 08-02-2010, 12:30 PM

The apps are good. I like the MSN Money App the most, and I look forward to using it in the future, when I intent to buy stocks. Animalgrams is a fun game too, and looks great, however there is a problem, as others have said, which is the fact that the game gives unlimited hints. Other than that, it's pretty fun and challenging. As for the Twitter update, it's good to see that Microsoft is actually updating and fixing bugs in it's apps, even though I don't use Twitter.

Old 08-06-2010, 12:35 AM

You guys should stop expecting ultra high quality apps/3d games. Microsoft's should not have to support a device with such a low user rate. I'm surprised they're still releasing apps for it, they should just focus on windows 7. Seriously, they're alot of media players out there that rarely get firmware updates.

Old 08-06-2010, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3sicasity View Post
You guys should stop expecting ultra high quality apps/3d games. Microsoft's should not have to support a device with such a low user rate. I'm surprised they're still releasing apps for it, they should just focus on windows 7. Seriously, they're alot of media players out there that rarely get firmware updates.
I wonder why it has a relatively low number of users? It probably does not have anything to do with Microsoft's decisions.

Old 08-06-2010, 05:51 AM

Quote:
I wonder why it has a relatively low number of users?
You give something you get something.

Old 08-06-2010, 06:50 AM

My problem with this is that they look like they're scrounging around for apps so they can add something to their app library. That is not the way to do things. Try your best to give the people what they want, especially in a case like this, where you are lacking.

Old 08-06-2010, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celenet View Post
I wonder why it has a relatively low number of users? It probably does not have anything to do with Microsoft's decisions.
It's got to do primarily with 2 decisions:
1. Only sell in USA
2. Don't market the device at all and only sell based on word of mouth at a very limited number of retailers

Old 08-06-2010, 02:15 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Those reasons are correct. MS does a very poor job in marketing their devices, almost anybody I ask has never even heard of Zune, and they would get more customers I'm sure if they sold outside of the US. I believe that their products are very high quality in terms of build quality and hardware, especially the Zune HD, which to this day I am still in awe at how beautiful and high quality it is, but the firmware lacks some common features, which could also be a reason why they have very few users.

Retired Devices:
Sansa Fuze 8+16GB Rockboxed

Old 08-06-2010, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lip View Post
It's got to do primarily with 2 decisions:
1. Only sell in USA
2. Don't market the device at all and only sell based on word of mouth at a very limited number of retailers
My post was sarcastic in nature =/

Old 08-06-2010, 09:02 PM
Sub-Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celenet View Post
it has everything to do with Microsoft's decisions! What in the world would it be other than that? You take your best shot at what you think the market wants, and you do that. You take a look at why your competitor is winning or losing and you react to that...

Old 08-06-2010, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSILMike View Post
it has everything to do with Microsoft's decisions! What in the world would it be other than that? You take your best shot at what you think the market wants, and you do that. You take a look at why your competitor is winning or losing and you react to that...
Sarcasm is hard to detect in written form. I probably should have made my comment more obvious.