android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Microsoft Zune > Zune HD

Old 07-30-2010, 11:48 AM

i really like the money app, especially the different pages of stocks/currencies/articles. kinda wish we could read the articles within the app instead of opening the browser, but still very cool. animalgrams also looks like it is well done. i'm happy we saw two very different apps from what we've already got.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-30-2010, 12:31 PM

is there a changelog for the twitter update, or is it just a performance tweek I wonder? For it to be truly useful, it needs to go to the first unread tweet, plus have a picture/link integrated browser.

Old 07-30-2010, 12:58 PM

Nice, will download them later to see.

Old 07-30-2010, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by medion View Post
There's always going to be a level of excitement when something you've had a hand in gets accomplished, even if others on the outside don't appreciate it. A lot of work goes into these apps, and the Zune team has been downsized a lot over the past few years. To them, this is an accomplishment.
You see, the probably with that is, it's not about them, it's about the consumer.

Old 07-30-2010, 05:58 PM

Great apps

Old 07-30-2010, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWynnL View Post
I just have one question; when Dave said he was exited for the next release or something like that, was this what he was talking about? Because these apps are nice and all but they seem normal for the apps that have been released lately.
Dave does his job...he probably wants to "retain the hype" around Zune HD, so, it's normal to express his "excitement" even when there is absolutely no reason. He reminds me most of the salesmen who try to convince you to look at their product from another "exciting" view...this is the right way for a company though...

About money app, i completely agree with ItsLasher...it's irrelevant and useless for most of the Zune HD users. It's clearly an easy port from a forthcoming WP7 app and not an app that was designed for Zune HD specifically...

Old 07-30-2010, 06:27 PM

I'm going to sound like a pessimist, but this rubbish is what I've come to expect of the Zune HD. Now, the money app seems well done even if I don't personally use it, I'll say that.

But Animalgrams is just another time-wasting app that reminds me of the puzzle sheets they used to hand out when I was in 2nd grade. Seriously what am I, 6 years old again? I know this is just the same argument that surrounds every app release, but by the looks of it you'd think Microsoft likes underachievement.

I'm looking forward more and more to September when I can sell this thing and get something that is actually useful.

Old 07-30-2010, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmerrey View Post
is there a changelog for the twitter update, or is it just a performance tweek I wonder? For it to be truly useful, it needs to go to the first unread tweet, plus have a picture/link integrated browser.
@ZUNE tweeted that it was an update for "previous bug fixes." Meaning at most a performance boost.

I suppose I appreciate the new apps, but it feels underwhelming. Not saying anything bad about the apps; they're both very well-made. ZuneHD app experience in general.

Old 07-30-2010, 07:10 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Is this a joke? "Animalgrams" and some glorified stock ticker?

Old 07-30-2010, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
I thought the joke was the zune website says you can be "appy" with the zune...

Sorry for being negative, but they could have done something but a PUZZLE game. Honestly, who plays those besides middle-aged moms? Feels like peggle.

Apparently zune can't read my poker face, cause I'm in a bad romance with them.

Old 07-30-2010, 07:53 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Exactly. I agree, the msn money app is no use to a kid who gets five bucks a week for allowance, and this "Animalgrams" game is just plain stupid.

Retired Devices:
Sansa Fuze 8+16GB Rockboxed

Last edited by medion; 07-30-2010 at 11:48 PM. Reason: Off topic

Old 07-30-2010, 07:58 PM

Quote:
LOLLOL!

Mind you ,, the glorified stock ticker is decent but does it take this long to release two apps ? LOL

Last edited by Maxis; 07-31-2010 at 05:43 PM. Reason: off-topic

Old 07-30-2010, 11:50 PM
Anythingbutiphone Moderator

Last warning folks. Discuss the apps released themselves. This is not going to dissolve into another "Darwin" thread.

I'm done deleting posts. I'll be handing out free 72-hour bans with the next wave. And to make it clear, yes, you can express your disappointment with these apps. That's on topic. Talking about firmware updates, hardware quality issues, and how it relates to Lindsey Lohan's jailtime have absolutely nothing to do with these apps.

Old 07-31-2010, 01:03 AM

Did they fix the double post issue with the twitter app? (when you would mention anyone it would send double tweets)

Old 07-31-2010, 04:35 AM

FWIW, the flying bird on the menu screens of Animalgrams is definitely a nice polished touch. It doesn't even land on the same menu option every time for variety. A nice Easter egg would have been to have the bird fly around when the Zune is shaken.

Old 07-31-2010, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Living In Lies View Post
Sorry for being negative, but they could have done something but a PUZZLE game. Honestly, who plays those besides middle-aged moms? Feels like peggle.
Come on, who are you trying to kid, Peggle rocks.

Old 07-31-2010, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguemat View Post
Come on, who are you trying to kid, Peggle rocks.
+1.

Old 07-31-2010, 06:13 AM
Anythingbutiphone Moderator

Finally got a chance to play with both apps.

MSN money seems to use the interface in the same manner as the Facebook App, which in itself was similar to the menus under music. It integrates well with the Zune HD, so I'll have to disagree with the poster earlier who claimed that it was obviously meant more for WP7. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure many of these apps will be ported to WP7.

It was refreshing to see Animalgrams. We finally got a new game that wasn't a card game. It's a fun distraction, but you can beat the entire game just by hitting the "hint" button. There should be a limit to that, or some kind of scoring where using the hint button detracts from your score. Still, a very good looking app.

Like many here, I'm not totally satisfied with the quality, pace, and direction of these apps. I think the apps should be more media focused (Youtube, Pandora, Last.FM, etc.), but for what the Zune team can put out, this is a solid release.

Old 07-31-2010, 09:36 AM

The animal app isn't my type of app I consider fun but I'll save that app for when I'm on the go and have nothing to do.

MSN money is a really nice looking, good app... But not my kind of app(I don't even know what a stock is =P )... But I could use the money converter, which is nice.

Very nice quality apps, but not the kind of apps im into.

Old 07-31-2010, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuniq View Post
About money app, i completely agree with ItsLasher...it's irrelevant and useless for most of the Zune HD users. It's clearly an easy port from a forthcoming WP7 app and not an app that was designed for Zune HD specifically...
Hm, wrong. The MSN Money app was designed specifically for the Zune HD as part of a company-wide contest for a new Zune HD app. I can agree that it's not very useful for most, though. Still, I'm sure the stock traders in our midst are happy.

I too love the bird on the Animalgrams menu.