android
Old 07-26-2010, 05:08 PM

Default why or why not get a zune?

Hello everyone

I suppose most people in this section of the forums own a zune HD; I currently have a cowon s9 and since it broke, I've decided to try a new device. first on my list is the zune HD is there any reason why NOT to get the zune or why I should get the zune?

the only turn off I really see at the moment is no drag and drop... And if I'm correct the Zune HD supports unicode right?

Thanks for your help

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-26-2010, 05:15 PM
Sub-Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjhui90 View Post
Hello everyone

I suppose most people in this section of the forums own a zune HD; I currently have a cowon s9 and since it broke, I've decided to try a new device. first on my list is the zune HD is there any reason why NOT to get the zune or why I should get the zune?

the only turn off I really see at the moment is no drag and drop... And if I'm correct the Zune HD supports unicode right?

Thanks for your help
There is drag and drop. From the zune software collection to the device (or reverse.) Or there is drag and drop from a folder to the zune software collection. From a folder straight to the device is not supported, but that's probably because the sync paradigm would get fouled up.
Unicode- yes, but not all charsets from what I can tell from the zune.net forums.
I'm not familiar with the Cowon feature set, so I can't compare much...

Old 07-26-2010, 05:55 PM
Ultra Senior Member

It depends on your requirements. The Zune HD has great hardware with so much potential, but the current firmware doesn't have as much features (media wise, not including apps and internet) as the Cowon S9. Here's a list of the ZuneHD's advantages and disadvantages, if you find that you care about all of the disadvantages, then don't get it. If you don't care about any of the disadvantages, then get it.

Advantages:

-Pretty Interface
-Very good hardware
-Very good SQ
-Beautiful screen
-Good battery life
-Zune Pass
-Internet
-Apps

Disadvantages:

-No Custom EQ
-Must use Zune software in order to sync anything (no MSC mode)
-No support for FLAC, and OGG file formats
-No easy and quick way to create, edit, and delete playlists on device
-Volume can be louder
-The firmware doesn't use the hardware's full potential
-The firmware is slow and freezes often, requiring you to hold down power button for 10 or so seconds and restart the device
-Internet connectivity issues (can't connect to some public wifi hotspots like airports, coffee shops, etc.)
-Very small app collection
-MS is very very slow at releasing new apps and firmware updates, it's been nearly four months since anything new has been released

That's all I can think of right now. Sadly to say, Microsoft has not satisfied me with my purchase (for now, hopefully future firmware updates will change this). When I bought the device, I thought that it would be awesome to have a big touchscreen, Internet, and apps, combined with a pretty, flashy interface. But now, I don't really care about those features. The reason why I'm not happy now with my ZuneHD is because of the disadvantages on the list. So really, it all depends on your requirements. If you like all the extras, then get the ZuneHD, you will enjoy it. If you would just like a premium media device, then go for another Cowon S9, or, if something different, a Samsung P3 or Sansa Clip+ or Fuze. I hope I've helped you make your decision,

-McDougal

Retired Devices:
Sansa Fuze 8+16GB Rockboxed

Last edited by McDougal; 07-26-2010 at 06:00 PM.

Old 07-26-2010, 05:59 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Buy a Zune HD if:

- You have WiFi everywhere you go.
- You have a spare $15 each month to exchange for "almost" any song you want to listen to.

Old 07-26-2010, 07:03 PM

I'm not certain how easy a transition it would be from an S9 to a Zune, the sound quality on the former blows the latter away. I know after using Cowon, my ears would need a lengthy adjustment period.

Old 07-26-2010, 07:22 PM

The Good:
-OLED screen
-Artist background/ Music screen saver
-No converting on videos
-Formfactor [zHD is a sexy device]
-UI

The Bad:
-Tiny tiny app selection
-Browser is too dull
-No user customizations what-so-ever [except you can change the 'certain']

Old 07-26-2010, 10:27 PM

J3 or another S9 ... and yes i am a zune owner ... own 3 of them at the moment..

Why am i recomending this ?

The cowon has

Superior sound quality
Customizable EQ
Wider Codec support
Unhindered by required software
UI is Customizable.
They at least know that putting RW|FF and Volume buttons on the side of the device REGARDLESS of it being touchscreen is important for proper ergonomics.

Oh ... i forgot to mention the SD slot for memory expansion ... so you could get the cheapest J3 and expand the storage at your lesiure ..

The advantage of the zune ?
HD radio.. (if it works for you great)
720p output to your tv ... AFTER you go buy an additional dock. And before you ask .. No it doesnt play video on the screen in high def.
Very basic browser
22 apps ... mostly simple games
EQ presets .. which coming from an S9 is 100% guaranteed to make you angry ...
A much easier and slicker user interface..(ill leave you to judge if that warrants dealing with the rest of the "features" of the HD)
A very slim form factor (Not seen a J3 yet in real life but i presume it could be somewhat similar)
Podcast support and On device Marketplace... (only useful if you have a monthly subscription)..

My plans are to wait and see what MS does next within a certain time frame... if they do nothing .. (which i expect them to) then everything gets cancelled and sold. and i move to the cowon camp. I will keep the Zune marketplace for the odd music purchase and thats it.

If they decide to actually provide REAL MEDIA PLAYER features then ill take another bite.

Last edited by Maxis; 07-26-2010 at 10:55 PM.

Old 07-26-2010, 11:42 PM
Anythingbutiphone Moderator

If you were happy with the S9, I'd get a J3. If you were unhappy with the S9, I'd make a list of what you wanted it to do that it couldn't, and then we can recommend you a player that fulfills those needs. Anytime you switch to another player for the sake of trying something different, you run the risk of disappointment. This is especially true when you're going from a player that many consider to be best in class.

Old 07-27-2010, 05:07 AM

Pros:
Gorgeous UI
Great hardware with great sound quality

Cons:
It requires a specific pc program to sync music/videos/photos (this means that wherever you go, you won't be able to transfer music files unless you have that specific program installed to the pc you want to connect Zune HD. It also means that you can't use your favourite music manager/player to sync files to it.

Playback time: It might have a great touchscreen and UI, but if you use the touchscreen often to change tracks, watch photos etc...the battery drops dramatically...you get the longest playback time if you play WMA files in playlists and rarely use the touchscreen. Also, you'd better charge the device fully If you want to watch movies on it...you will be able to watch 2 normal length movies with a fully charged battery.

It doesn't support flac

Generally, Zune HD is "relatively" expensive "boutique" hardware. It has a certain design and logic, but i wouldn't recommend it to an ex-s9 owner. S9 works with many different ways, it supports many formats...it's "open" to the user. Zune HD is just a front end (a "terminal") for software Zune services...It's not something i would buy again or after owning a player like s9...it's mostly for people with restricted demands, a love for design/gadgets and more cash in their pockets.

Old 07-27-2010, 05:37 AM

If you love media, such as music, movies, radio or pictures. Get this.
If you love apps, and you want an app device, get the iPod Touch.
If you want both, WP7.

Old 07-27-2010, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by medion View Post
If you were happy with the S9, I'd get a J3. If you were unhappy with the S9, I'd make a list of what you wanted it to do that it couldn't, and then we can recommend you a player that fulfills those needs. Anytime you switch to another player for the sake of trying something different, you run the risk of disappointment. This is especially true when you're going from a player that many consider to be best in class.
This. I would highly recommend the J3 if you were happy with the S9.

Old 07-27-2010, 01:05 PM

The Zune HD is a nice PMP but I just can't recommend it. I still marvel at how nice the build quality is and even more at the fluidity of the UI. But it falls short of the pocket computer thing the iPod Touch does so well, while falling short in media capabilities that I've heard the S9 does so well. The others here have pretty well covered those specific points, but I just wanted to weigh in - as much as I hate to say, there are better options for almost anything you'd want to do with a PMP.