android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Microsoft Zune > Zune HD

Old 07-26-2010, 09:11 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Default WHY does the Zune firmware have to erase all content in order to reset password?

This is a fairly small but important problem (in my opinion). I'm on a 10 day vacation in Canada and have my Zune HD, laptop, and sync cable with me. I let my sister attempt to guess my password, and after four or so wrong guesses, a message popped up asking if you forgot your password and saying that if you did it would have to erase all content in order to reset the password. Now, I foolishly let my sister not read the whole message and hit yes and she erased all of my content on my Zune just like that. Now I'm happy that it gives you a warning before doing so, but does it really have to erase all content in order to reset the password? I was in luck this time, because I had my laptop and sync cable so I could just resync everything, but if I didn't have those things, I would have had to go the rest of the vacation without music. Surely there's a way to reset the password without having to erase all content? Am I wrong? I'm just putting this out here, I think it's very stupid to have to erase all content in order to reset the password, and I would suggest that with a future firmware update (doesn't have to be 4.7), to make it possible to reset the password without erasing all content. I hope MS sees this message and considers changing this issue.

Retired Devices:
Sansa Fuze 8+16GB Rockboxed

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-26-2010, 09:21 AM

Lol I did the same thing awhile back,

If 4.7 added a feature to reset password without deleting comment then having a password is kindof useless... =/

Old 07-26-2010, 09:25 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lem7 View Post
Lol I did the same thing awhile back,

If 4.7 added a feature to reset password without deleting comment then having a password is kindof useless... =/
True...it is pretty safe to have it delete your content after resetting password, but maybe you could have an option to have it not delete your content to reset password and have an option to delete content to reset password, so you could have the feature on or off at certain times.

Retired Devices:

Old 07-26-2010, 11:49 AM

I feel your pain.
I had to resync all my stuff, and a lot of videos were permanently lost.

Old 07-26-2010, 12:37 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Hey a guy with zero Zune experience here.

This is incredibly draconian by MS.

I am guessing this is related to DRM and avoiding content being stolen and re-used by someone else in the event one loses or gets their Zune jacked. ??

But really, to an outsider, this is simply ludicrous to read about.

Sorry, but this is completely unacceptable behavior to me and simply another reason why MS will never get my money from a Zune purchase...ever. While the intention may be noble, it smacks of pure patronization and condescension, at least to me.

Suppose I use a Zune purely to watch videos, pictures, music or any content i legally own [either by purchase or because I created them myself]?

Please help me understand the concept at work here and why Zune owners are OK with this - I'd really like to know...
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 07-26-2010, 12:42 PM

Well the lock setting isn't on by default. and it doesn't have to be on. @lestatar

Old 07-26-2010, 12:50 PM
Ultra Senior Member

<blushing> ah...thanks Moonrakerone [nice nick btw]....

being optional then does make a difference

thank you kind sir! :-)
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 07-26-2010, 12:59 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briankealing View Post
I feel your pain.
I had to resync all my stuff, and a lot of videos were permanently lost.
Thank you for understanding me too. Sure, I could easily live with this and just not try to reset my password...but it is very inconvenient to have to resync everything. @lestatar, a lot of us Zune owners are not okay with this...and yes, I legally own all of my music, and it could very well be a DRM thing. And I agree, it is unacceptable behavior in my opinion. This is my first Zune, and so far I have found more bad things than good things about it unfortunately.

Retired Devices:

Old 07-26-2010, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestatar View Post

Yeah, it's an optional feature for those who have important videos/pictures/whatever (ya know) on their Zune who wouldn't want a thief to have access to them. The guy gets away with your device, but you at least know that he doesn't have your media.

Old 07-26-2010, 01:23 PM
Sub-Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestatar View Post

Not only is it optional, it protects the owner from having his or her account drained by the finder and/or thief.
The missing feature is the option to reset the password without erasing content by connecting to the home (linked) PC.

Old 07-26-2010, 02:12 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Seems like we've made up our minds...what we all want now is to have the feature optional...and I personally think that it's a better idea to have the option to reset the password without erasing content by connecting to the home (linked) PC, thanks for the suggestion NSILMike.

Retired Devices:

Old 07-26-2010, 02:24 PM
Sub-Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDougal View Post
Seems like we've made up our minds...what we all want now is to have the feature optional...and I personally think that it's a better idea to have the option to reset the password without erasing content by connecting to the home (linked) PC, thanks for the suggestion NSILMike.
It is optional...you choose to require a pin, or not. What's not optional is that the player is erased if the user can't enter the correct PIN. And if the (optional) PIN feature is enabled, then the 'penalty' for failing the PIN cannot be optional- a four digit pin can eventually be guessed otherwise. (With the exception of a secure recovery such as I suggested. Or, someone else may have another 'secure' option to suggest as well.)

Old 07-26-2010, 02:54 PM

I agree they could add the option allowing the password to be reset and no data loss as long as you are connected to your zune account. If you are not connected then I agree that the data should be erased, otherwise why have the lock.

Old 07-26-2010, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSILMike View Post
It is optional...you choose to require a pin, or not. What's not optional is that the player is erased if the user can't enter the correct PIN. And if the (optional) PIN feature is enabled, then the 'penalty' for failing the PIN cannot be optional- a four digit pin can eventually be guessed otherwise. (With the exception of a secure recovery such as I suggested. Or, someone else may have another 'secure' option to suggest as well.)
But I'd like to see the ability to turn off the 'penalty' - it just makes things easier for theives. A PIN is supposed to "scare" thieves off by having the device not work unless the correct password is entered, rendering stealing it useless - but a theif can just take the zune and reset the device.

It's like having a lock on a backpack - sure, a thief can't open the lock then and there, but he can just take the backpack and have the lock cut back in the thief's garage or something.

Old 07-26-2010, 04:45 PM

Quote:
But I'd like to see the ability to turn off the 'penalty' - it just makes things easier for theives. A PIN is supposed to "scare" thieves off by having the device not work unless the correct password is entered, rendering stealing it useless - but a theif can just take the zune and reset the device.

It's like having a lock on a backpack - sure, a thief can't open the lock then and there, but he can just take the backpack and have the lock cut back in the thief's garage or something.
Well, you could just take a knife and slash the backpack right there.

Old 07-26-2010, 04:52 PM
Sub-Forum Moderator

Quote:

It's only a 4 digit PIN... if you leave the PIN enabled but allow the thief infinite tries, they can guess it in a somewhat reasonable amount of time.

Old 07-29-2010, 06:27 PM

The whole "erase all content" thing makes it easier for the theif. He basically wipes all evidence that the device is yours by resetting the zune.

Old 08-01-2010, 11:22 AM

I think it should lock content until synced to the computer the content came from.

Old 08-01-2010, 12:51 PM
Sub-Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiamhighx View Post
The whole "erase all content" thing makes it easier for the theif. He basically wipes all evidence that the device is yours by resetting the zune.
Not at all. the primary evidence the device is yours is the serial number. and erasing all content protects your account.

Old 08-02-2010, 12:12 PM

I really don't see the purpose of this lock, other than protecting your account (moneywise, and content wise) in the event that it's stolen. It doesn't lock the person out from your Zune at all though. They should have it where if it is incorrectly entered five times, then you have to connect the Zune to the PC software with an account that is linked to the HD. If my Zune was stolen today, the thief would not care about the lock. So what, it erases all my content. Then he can either use my Zune HD or sell it as he/she pleases. The lock is only successful in protecting your music and your money, but unsuccessful in protecting your device, overall.