android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Cowon iAudio > Cowon J3

Old 07-25-2010, 03:56 PM

Default I've yet to charge my J3 since I've bought it. Is this necessarily bad?

I received my J3 4 days ago and the first thing I did was connect via USB to my laptop to add a bunch of songs. Obviously it was charging during this time, but it only lasted for 10-15 minutes and then I decided to just start listening to music without waiting the recommended 3 hours (it was already full even before I charged it).

My friend who owns an S9 claimed that he did the same thing to his S9 and the battery wasn't as efficient as it was supposed to be (something like only 10 hours of music play before it dies). He said that it may already be too late for my player.

Is this true? I understand that Cowon uses Lithium-Polymer batteries, so I'm not sure why this would be the case.

Regardless, I have my J3 charging right now. Just curious if I already ruin its battery.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-25-2010, 04:14 PM

If it was charged there is no need to leave it connected for 3 hours.

Nothing you posted indicated there is something wrong with the battery.

It seems like there is something wrong with your friends S9, tell him to send it in if it is still under warranty.

I had to send in my Cowon i7 in twice to get one that had something even close to the claimed battery life, but now it is fine and takes forever to run down.

Old 07-25-2010, 04:28 PM

Well, I didn't mean it was fully charged when I first got it. You know how when you turn on some electronic device and at first it shows full battery life before it determines how much battery life you really have? I'm guessing this was the case with the J3 and it was "full" at first before going to "half" after 30 minutes or so. I should add that I've only been listening to it for about 2 hours a day-- so four days x 2 hours= 8 hours... and it's already dead? Shouldn't it last at least 30 hours (I realize 60 hours is not realistic).

If it helps any, I have the 32 gb.

Old 07-25-2010, 04:39 PM

Oh well just charge the thing then lol. . . if it still doesn't last long after a couple of charges then maybe get it fixed. . .

I'm pretty sure that not charging it for 3 hours the first time cannot harm a Li ion battery.

You cannot expect it to last 30+ hours if it wasn't charged and you only plugged it in for 15 mins.

Old 07-25-2010, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satellite_6 View Post
\

You cannot expect it to last 30+ hours if it wasn't charged and you only plugged it in for 15 mins.
Assuming it was fully charged upon arrival, yes I can.

But I doubt it really was, so you're actually right.

Old 07-25-2010, 05:09 PM
Redneck Moderator

I've never taken any precautions with any of my Cowon DAPs(which is nearly all of them) I plug them in and drop a few tunes/videos on them and then unplug it and mess with it for hours. I've never had any issues with them.

Old 07-26-2010, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarwinsBulldog View Post
Assuming it was fully charged upon arrival, yes I can.

But I doubt it really was, so you're actually right.
no you can't. lithium-ion or better lithium-polymer batteries need to be charged and discharged if the manufacturer didn't do the initial charging.
and as far as i can tell, cowon doesn't do that.

are you really sure that it was fully charged upon arrival?

you could have read the manual because i'm almost 100% sure that the charging process is described there, but in modern times that's not really necessary, now is it?

Tags
battery, j3