android
Old 07-25-2010, 02:17 PM

Default Zune update coming in October?

If you didn't see this video
it may reveal information about the Zune firmware release. Quote from Zunited.com
Quote:
In the following video (at the very beginning) of a Live Labs presentation, Mich Matthews, Senior Vice President of Microsoft Advertising according to the video, says the following:
"I'm going to ask rockstar Kostas who, uh, works for the Chief of Software Architect to come on and Kostas has brought with him Windows Phone 7 which we launch, um, this October. Now, I've seen this..."
If they do release Windows Phone 7 in October, we can basically guarantee Zune 4.7 update right there with it.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-25-2010, 03:05 PM

Haha...good one. An update for Zune? Based on recent history? Almost 4 months since last firmware with nothing indicating anything new on that front? Over 2 months since apps have been released?

Let's just say that I won't be holding my breath for any type of update to anything within the Zune brand until a new product in the Zune line is released. It's a great DAP, with great potential for other uses but that might be all that it will ever be.

Old 07-25-2010, 03:11 PM

Well this doesn't actually guarantee anything about the firmware, and I keep seeing people talk about this. Why does everyone think that because Windows Phone 7 is going to be released in October, that there is going to be a Zune HD firmware update in October? It only takes a simple software update in order for the Zune software to recognize the phone. (which people that got the tech preview of WP7 have recieved, along with the tech preview.) And if you think that every time the Zune software is upgraded that the firmware on the HD is upgraded to match, you are wrong. The software version is 4.2, and the HD's firmware is 4.5.

This doesn't speculate anything about the firmware on the HD. It just shows that we are inevitably going to get a mandatory software update, most likely in October, to support WP7.

Edit: incorrect firmware version. Thanks bluezune.

Last edited by Lookin Fancy; 07-28-2010 at 10:47 PM.

Old 07-25-2010, 04:31 PM

And in addition to that, the WP7 launch in October is in Europe! In USA its November.
WP7 launch has nothing to do with the ZuneHD.

Old 07-25-2010, 05:45 PM

The new Zune HD will be inside WP7 devices...so yes, there will be a new firmware, but not for our devices...

Old 07-25-2010, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookin Fancy View Post
Well this doesn't actually guarantee anything about the firmware, and I keep seeing people talk about this. Why does everyone think that because Windows Phone 7 is going to be released in October, that there is going to be a Zune HD firmware update in October? It only takes a simple software update in order for the Zune software to recognize the phone. (which people that got the tech preview of WP7 have recieved, along with the tech preview.) And if you think that every time the Zune software is upgraded that the firmware on the HD is upgraded to match, you are wrong. The software version is 4.2, and the HD's firmware is 4.3.

This doesn't speculate anything about the firmware on the HD. It just shows that we are inevitably going to get a mandatory software update, most likely in October, to support WP7.
correction, 4.5...

Old 07-25-2010, 08:35 PM

4.7 ftw!

Old 07-25-2010, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlatt View Post
Haha...good one. An update for Zune? Based on recent history? Almost 4 months since last firmware with nothing indicating anything new on that front? Over 2 months since apps have been released?
Ah, how quickly we forget. 4.5 was about 5 months apart from 4.3, was it not?

Old 07-25-2010, 11:51 PM

Well i'm not getting my hopes up that much at all. But there is still that small Alamo going on in my mind about the Zune HD update anything windows mobile 7 would be nice.also if it is windows mobile 7 = zune update 4.7?
If the update happens like that the joke is on us xd
But we will just see if it doesn't happen well then we are just not getting the update.

Old 07-26-2010, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weedalin View Post
Ah, how quickly we forget. 4.5 was about 5 months apart from 4.3, was it not?
Remember when Dave said something Is going to happen 4 months after 4.5... =)

Old 07-26-2010, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lem7 View Post
Remember when Dave said something Is going to happen 4 months after 4.5... =)
Well, despite Dave's predictions, things could still go wrong and timetables may be pushed back.

If the Zune firmware did anything revolutionary like a switch to a WP7-based infrastructure, then that would be a 5.0 release, not a 4.7 (minor) release.

Old 07-26-2010, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallenArms3 View Post
Well, despite Dave's predictions, things could still go wrong and timetables may be pushed back.

If the Zune firmware did anything revolutionary like a switch to a WP7-based infrastructure, then that would be a 5.0 release, not a 4.7 (minor) release.
Listen to Zune Insider. It was named 4.7 for a reason - 5.0 was suggested as a release number.

It's named 4.7 because it's a play on words: "For" "Seven" as in, For Windows Phone 7, "4.7".

Old 07-26-2010, 11:54 AM

i am not holding my breath. I dont think this means anything in terms of zune devices themselves. however the more users using WP7 and zune the better for us.

Old 07-26-2010, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briankealing View Post
Listen to Zune Insider. It was named 4.7 for a reason - 5.0 was suggested as a release number.

It's named 4.7 because it's a play on words: "For" "Seven" as in, For Windows Phone 7, "4.7".
"Zune software 4 windows phone 7" thats smart =)

Old 07-27-2010, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lem7 View Post
Oh God. Mind = blown.

Old 07-27-2010, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Oh God. Mind = blown.
Quote:
Quote:

Did you guys like completely skip my post xD

Old 07-28-2010, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vartex View Post
Did you guys like completely skip my post xD
I tend not to read things longer than two lines.

Old 07-28-2010, 10:28 AM

What I'd really like to see is some of the WP7 features in Zune, and I mean, the smoother animations - the WP7 demos look so slick, it makes the zune look like trying to cut wood with a knife, instead of cutting butter.

Old 07-28-2010, 12:10 PM
Sub-Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briankealing View Post
What I'd really like to see is some of the WP7 features in Zune, and I mean, the smoother animations - the WP7 demos look so slick, it makes the zune look like trying to cut wood with a knife, instead of cutting butter.
except that 4.7 is software... and I don't recall any suggestion of an HD firmware update in the same time frame.

Old 07-28-2010, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSILMike View Post
except that 4.7 is software... and I don't recall any suggestion of an HD firmware update in the same time frame.
when have they ever had a software update without updating the Zune firmware to match...

Tags
zune 4.7