android
  #1  
Old 07-25-2010, 02:17 PM
bluezune16's Avatar
bluezune16 bluezune16 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 25
Default Zune update coming in October?

If you didn't see this video
it may reveal information about the Zune firmware release. Quote from Zunited.com
Quote:
In the following video (at the very beginning) of a Live Labs presentation, Mich Matthews, Senior Vice President of Microsoft Advertising according to the video, says the following:
"I'm going to ask rockstar Kostas who, uh, works for the Chief of Software Architect to come on and Kostas has brought with him Windows Phone 7 which we launch, um, this October. Now, I've seen this..."
If they do release Windows Phone 7 in October, we can basically guarantee Zune 4.7 update right there with it.
__________________
Computers, huh? I've heard it all boils down to just a bunch of ones and zeroes.... I don't know how that enables me to see naked women, but however it works, God bless you guys.
Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

  #2  
Old 07-25-2010, 03:05 PM
TheBlatt TheBlatt is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 4
Default

Haha...good one. An update for Zune? Based on recent history? Almost 4 months since last firmware with nothing indicating anything new on that front? Over 2 months since apps have been released?

Let's just say that I won't be holding my breath for any type of update to anything within the Zune brand until a new product in the Zune line is released. It's a great DAP, with great potential for other uses but that might be all that it will ever be.
Reply With Quote

  #3  
Old 07-25-2010, 03:11 PM
Lookin Fancy's Avatar
Lookin Fancy Lookin Fancy is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 10
Default

Well this doesn't actually guarantee anything about the firmware, and I keep seeing people talk about this. Why does everyone think that because Windows Phone 7 is going to be released in October, that there is going to be a Zune HD firmware update in October? It only takes a simple software update in order for the Zune software to recognize the phone. (which people that got the tech preview of WP7 have recieved, along with the tech preview.) And if you think that every time the Zune software is upgraded that the firmware on the HD is upgraded to match, you are wrong. The software version is 4.2, and the HD's firmware is 4.5.

This doesn't speculate anything about the firmware on the HD. It just shows that we are inevitably going to get a mandatory software update, most likely in October, to support WP7.

Edit: incorrect firmware version. Thanks bluezune.

Last edited by Lookin Fancy; 07-28-2010 at 10:47 PM.
Reply With Quote

  #4  
Old 07-25-2010, 04:31 PM
DiNoGames DiNoGames is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 50
Default

And in addition to that, the WP7 launch in October is in Europe! In USA its November.
WP7 launch has nothing to do with the ZuneHD.
Reply With Quote

  #5  
Old 07-25-2010, 05:45 PM
Zuniq Zuniq is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 298
Default

The new Zune HD will be inside WP7 devices...so yes, there will be a new firmware, but not for our devices...
Reply With Quote

  #6  
Old 07-25-2010, 06:42 PM
bluezune16's Avatar
bluezune16 bluezune16 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 25
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookin Fancy View Post
Well this doesn't actually guarantee anything about the firmware, and I keep seeing people talk about this. Why does everyone think that because Windows Phone 7 is going to be released in October, that there is going to be a Zune HD firmware update in October? It only takes a simple software update in order for the Zune software to recognize the phone. (which people that got the tech preview of WP7 have recieved, along with the tech preview.) And if you think that every time the Zune software is upgraded that the firmware on the HD is upgraded to match, you are wrong. The software version is 4.2, and the HD's firmware is 4.3.

This doesn't speculate anything about the firmware on the HD. It just shows that we are inevitably going to get a mandatory software update, most likely in October, to support WP7.
correction, 4.5...
__________________
Computers, huh? I've heard it all boils down to just a bunch of ones and zeroes.... I don't know how that enables me to see naked women, but however it works, God bless you guys.
Reply With Quote

  #7  
Old 07-25-2010, 08:35 PM
lem7's Avatar
lem7 lem7 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 502
Default

4.7 ftw!
Reply With Quote

  #8  
Old 07-25-2010, 10:54 PM
weedalin's Avatar
weedalin weedalin is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: In my house
Posts: 652
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlatt View Post
Haha...good one. An update for Zune? Based on recent history? Almost 4 months since last firmware with nothing indicating anything new on that front? Over 2 months since apps have been released?
Ah, how quickly we forget. 4.5 was about 5 months apart from 4.3, was it not?
Reply With Quote

  #9  
Old 07-25-2010, 11:51 PM
Vartex's Avatar
Vartex Vartex is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: La Mesa CA
Posts: 96
Default

Well i'm not getting my hopes up that much at all. But there is still that small Alamo going on in my mind about the Zune HD update anything windows mobile 7 would be nice.also if it is windows mobile 7 = zune update 4.7?
If the update happens like that the joke is on us xd
But we will just see if it doesn't happen well then we are just not getting the update.
Reply With Quote

  #10  
Old 07-26-2010, 08:56 AM
lem7's Avatar
lem7 lem7 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 502
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by weedalin View Post
Ah, how quickly we forget. 4.5 was about 5 months apart from 4.3, was it not?
Remember when Dave said something Is going to happen 4 months after 4.5... =)
__________________
I hate Apple so much, I don't even eat the fruit!
Reply With Quote

  #11  
Old 07-26-2010, 10:33 AM
FallenArms3 FallenArms3 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 259
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lem7 View Post
Remember when Dave said something Is going to happen 4 months after 4.5... =)
Well, despite Dave's predictions, things could still go wrong and timetables may be pushed back.

If the Zune firmware did anything revolutionary like a switch to a WP7-based infrastructure, then that would be a 5.0 release, not a 4.7 (minor) release.
__________________
- Grant F
Reply With Quote

  #12  
Old 07-26-2010, 11:51 AM
Briankealing's Avatar
Briankealing Briankealing is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 173
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallenArms3 View Post
Well, despite Dave's predictions, things could still go wrong and timetables may be pushed back.

If the Zune firmware did anything revolutionary like a switch to a WP7-based infrastructure, then that would be a 5.0 release, not a 4.7 (minor) release.
Listen to Zune Insider. It was named 4.7 for a reason - 5.0 was suggested as a release number.

It's named 4.7 because it's a play on words: "For" "Seven" as in, For Windows Phone 7, "4.7".
Reply With Quote

  #13  
Old 07-26-2010, 11:54 AM
turdbogls turdbogls is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 119
Default

i am not holding my breath. I dont think this means anything in terms of zune devices themselves. however the more users using WP7 and zune the better for us.
Reply With Quote

  #14  
Old 07-26-2010, 04:57 PM
lem7's Avatar
lem7 lem7 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 502
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briankealing View Post
Listen to Zune Insider. It was named 4.7 for a reason - 5.0 was suggested as a release number.

It's named 4.7 because it's a play on words: "For" "Seven" as in, For Windows Phone 7, "4.7".
"Zune software 4 windows phone 7" thats smart =)
__________________
I hate Apple so much, I don't even eat the fruit!
Reply With Quote

  #15  
Old 07-27-2010, 05:34 AM
Jacob Jacob is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 249
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lem7 View Post
"Zune software 4 windows phone 7" thats smart =)
Oh God. Mind = blown.
Reply With Quote

  #16  
Old 07-27-2010, 09:20 PM
Vartex's Avatar
Vartex Vartex is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: La Mesa CA
Posts: 96
Default

Quote:
Oh God. Mind = blown.
Quote:
"Zune software 4 windows phone 7" thats smart =)
Quote:
Listen to Zune Insider. It was named 4.7 for a reason - 5.0 was suggested as a release number.

It's named 4.7 because it's a play on words: "For" "Seven" as in, For Windows Phone 7, "4.7".
Did you guys like completely skip my post xD
Reply With Quote

  #17  
Old 07-28-2010, 09:52 AM
Jacob Jacob is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 249
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vartex View Post
Did you guys like completely skip my post xD
I tend not to read things longer than two lines.
Reply With Quote

  #18  
Old 07-28-2010, 10:28 AM
Briankealing's Avatar
Briankealing Briankealing is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 173
Default

What I'd really like to see is some of the WP7 features in Zune, and I mean, the smoother animations - the WP7 demos look so slick, it makes the zune look like trying to cut wood with a knife, instead of cutting butter.
Reply With Quote

  #19  
Old 07-28-2010, 12:10 PM
NSILMike NSILMike is offline
Sub-Forum Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 233
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briankealing View Post
What I'd really like to see is some of the WP7 features in Zune, and I mean, the smoother animations - the WP7 demos look so slick, it makes the zune look like trying to cut wood with a knife, instead of cutting butter.
except that 4.7 is software... and I don't recall any suggestion of an HD firmware update in the same time frame.
Reply With Quote

  #20  
Old 07-28-2010, 02:54 PM
bluezune16's Avatar
bluezune16 bluezune16 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 25
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSILMike View Post
except that 4.7 is software... and I don't recall any suggestion of an HD firmware update in the same time frame.
when have they ever had a software update without updating the Zune firmware to match...
__________________
Computers, huh? I've heard it all boils down to just a bunch of ones and zeroes.... I don't know how that enables me to see naked women, but however it works, God bless you guys.
Reply With Quote

Reply

Tags
zune 4.7

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:53 AM.