android
Old 07-24-2010, 10:39 PM

Default Protective nub tearing off

From the first day I saw the small plastic protective nub covering the micro sd slot and 20 pin mini-usb port, I knew it wouldn't last long. Little did I know it would come off this quickly. It's been about 7 weeks that I've had the J3. I do transfer files between the J3 and the computer almost on a daily basis so the protective cover does get taken off and put back on frequently. I'm very gentle with it as I had a hunch this plastic nub wouldn't last long. Well, true to my suspicion, the plastic nub didn't last long at all. The plastic nub is tearing apart from single hinge that attaches to the J3.

For a $240-$300 player, I expected more than a plastic nub as the protective cover. Cowon should have gone with a titanium or magnesium alloy cover! They know--or should have known--this cover would often be taken off and put back on, as even to recharge the J3, you have to remove the cover and then place it back in place once you've completed charging.

Were it not for the fact that the micro sd card is housed beneath the cover, I'd just as well tear off the useless nub completely. Without the cover, I'm afraid the micro sd card may eject out one day without my notice. Bad design on Cowon's part.

I'm certain believe this problem will affect everyone many sooner or later.

I'm also concerned about all the plastic buttons, i.e. power/FF/RW/Pause/Vol. They look and feel like they won't last long either.

S9 owners, any comment on how your units are holding up after say a year's worth of use?

F/K/A Need Balance Control

Last edited by NeedBalanceCtrl; 07-27-2010 at 07:06 AM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-27-2010, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need Balance Control View Post
Were it not for the fact that the micro sd card is housed beneath the cover, I'd just as well tear off the useless nub completely. Without the cover, I'm afraid the micro sd card may eject out one day without my notice. Bad design on Cowon's part.
I tore mine off deliberately within a few days of using it. I decided that there was no way I was going to fiddle with the thing hundreds of times over the life of the player. I would say its unlikely the micro sd card will just eject on its own unless you dropped it, in which case you'd be carefully examining the player anyway to see if anything was damaged. I would agree that a better design would be if the nub covered only the micro sd slot and not the USB, as there should seldom be a need to access the micro sd slot.

Old 07-27-2010, 06:58 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need Balance Control View Post
S9 owners, any comment on how your units are holding up after say a year's worth of use?
The flaps on my D2, S9, and O2 are still good as new, after years of usage. They're useless and just one more step to perform when plugging into a computer or changing the SD card, but they are durable enough. On the i9 however the flap came off after about a month of usage. I wouldn't mind if they came off the other players too, but I won't force it.

Old 07-27-2010, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
The flaps on my D2, S9, and O2 are still good as new, after years of usage. They're useless and just one more step to perform when plugging into a computer or changing the SD card, but they are durable enough. On the i9 however the flap came off after about a month of usage. I wouldn't mind if they came off the other players too, but I won't force it.
Really? Given my experience with the J3, I must admit I find that hard to believe, but coming from you dfkt, I don't think you're exaggerating. Good to know.

Perhaps this won't happen to all J3 owners.

Old 07-27-2010, 07:07 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I thought the same with my cowon's but the i7 and i9 are both still on and look ok, cept the i9's looks like it could go as it never fit perfect.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 07-27-2010, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
I thought the same with my cowon's but the i7 and i9 are both still on and look ok, cept the i9's looks like it could go as it never fit perfect.
Good to have more data points. Thanks.

Old 07-27-2010, 07:46 AM
Ultra Senior Member

The D2's was solid (and probably indestructable), though. One step backwards for the sake of design, perhaps?

Old 08-02-2010, 11:10 PM

I cannot say that I love the design either, but I have not had any problems with either my S9 or J3. Unrelated equipment, the RAZR2 had a similar cover over the microUSB port - terrible, it became torn after only moderate use. Also unrelated equipment, the Samsung Galaxy S has a tiny sliding door that snaps into place firmly - much better in my humble opinion.
El Mono

Old 08-03-2010, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Mono View Post
I cannot say that I love the design either, but I have not had any problems with either my S9 or J3. Unrelated equipment, the RAZR2 had a similar cover over the microUSB port - terrible, it became torn after only moderate use. Also unrelated equipment, the Samsung Galaxy S has a tiny sliding door that snaps into place firmly - much better in my humble opinion.
El Mono
i was also rather intrigued by samsung's solution and was asking myself "would be such a hassle to introduce such lids as a standard"?

alas, they (the MAN, the companies) can't even settle on usb connection standards.