android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Cowon iAudio > Cowon J3

Old 08-26-2010, 06:27 AM

Default The Clock

Sorry, but the clock just started, I didn't do anything out of the ordinary. You can try using the reset hole on the back. It is non destructive. V2.22 firmware is out now and it fixes the clock, it now shows 24 hr clock properly.
It fixes embedded .jpeg art in the matrix browser. It does not show embedded art in .wma files, so it is still borked.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-26-2010, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xul View Post
Sorry, but the clock just started, I didn't do anything out of the ordinary. You can try using the reset hole on the back. It is non destructive.
Funny story that...

I had read that the reset hole had successfully kick-started a seemingly dead J3 back to life, and was actually going to try that to see if it would also kick-start my clock. Didn't see how trying that could hurt anything.

Well, I have my J3 encased in the two plastic protective sheets (front glass and rear of the player), and then it is imbedded into the Cowon leather case. Well the leather case actually has three very rigid metal prongs (that grab the player on left, right, and top edges) to hold the player super-firmly. I know I had to work very hard to position the player between the prongs correctly when I first was fighting to get the player to "seat" in the leather case... eventually getting it to fit perfectly and push all the way down to rest flat on the bottom.

In order to get to that reset hole on the back of the player, I'd have to remove the J3 from the leather case it is now secured in... but I can't get it out! I'm sure it's a matter of somehow spreading the three prongs properly, or maybe easing the player out one edge at a time, or something like that. But I just couldn't figure out how to do it. That J3 was implanted into the leather case, and it did NOT want to be removed.

But I really did want to try that, before mailing it to Cowon for RMA repair/replacement (which is finally what I did last Tuesday).

Quite the amazingly secure leather case.

P.S. - the back side of the leather case actually has a sheet of magnet in it, which really emits a significant magnetic field. I'm actually astonished it does not "erase" any of the ROM innards inside the player itself. This magnetic back side is what the top cover leather/magnetic latch sticks to when you close it up.

I once held up the player (in the case, with the cover lifted up) next to the front of my computer CRT monitor screen, to try and get a feel for how large the album art images were on the player. Well when I took the player away from the screen there was what at first looked to me like a dirt smudge where the back of the player had been located. But it wouldn't wipe away, and in fact was NOT a smudge at all! It was a magnetic image, that had apparently done the same thing to my screen that having non-shielded speakers does to your CRT screen (or TV screen) if they're placed too close... deflecting the electron beams and causing color rainbows, etc.

I had to power the monitor off and then power it on to get rid of this "stain", since all Sony Trinitron CRT tubes go through an automatic degauss when you power them on. And that also cleared up the "magnetic smudge" the back of the Cowon leather case had caused. I still can't figure out how come it doesn't do similar damage to the insides of the J3 (unless it's magnetically shielded on the inside of the leather case, but not on the outside).

That magnetic back is quite strong. I also happened to put my J3 on my wrist-rest in front of my keyboard. This is an ergonomic device with a pad attached (with velcro) on which your wrists rest, to a shaped/painted steel tray on which the keyboard sits at an angle. Well I couldn't move the J3 from where it had been placed! I then realized it was the magnetic back of the leather case that was grabbing onto the steel frame of the keyboard wrist-rest! Amazing. Very strong magnet... just to keep the latch strap closed when you close the cover.

Old 08-27-2010, 05:00 PM

Interesting, I don't use any screen protector. The screen is rock hard and scratch resistant. I believe it is gorilla glass. I have placed mine in a silicon skin case. It's great really 'grippy' and adds very little to the size. You can place it anywhere with no slippage. The J3 is pretty strong I had it in my back pocket and sat on it. No damage. I hope your new unit arrives soon.

Old 08-29-2010, 11:52 AM

This might be interesting, my clock has now stopped ticking again. It only runs when the unit is off. Great flagship product.

Old 08-29-2010, 12:04 PM

Quote:
This might be interesting, my clock has now stopped ticking again. It only runs when the unit is off. Great flagship product.
how about getting yourself a watch for time measurement?

the clock on my iriver h320 is off by hours and minutes and i would have to set the time every once in a while, however i couldn't care the least that my dedicated AUDIO (and video resp. for pmp) player has a reliable clock, or not.

ofc it's an annoyance, but really: WE. GET. IT.

if you want to get it fixed, how about bothering cowon, not this forum, instead?

Black Cowon J3 32 GB (Black Ringke Case) - no lousy Sennheiser CX 300 anymore, Pana HJE 900 took the throne... for keeps

Old 08-29-2010, 12:42 PM

Quote:
I sent my J3 (with the "clock won't tick when powered on, but ticks normally when powered off" problem... as you're now also seeing) in RMA to Cowon on Tuesday, it arrived there Wednesday, and based on their online RMA status page it appears they started work on it on Thursday.

Looks like they finished it up on Friday (not clear yet whether it's my unit repaired, or they decided to replace it) and moved it to the shipping department for return to me. Don't know if it's actually been shipped yet, but it appears that it's at least ready to ship.

I haven't received any correspondence providing a tracking number, etc., but I do expect to have it back (repaired or replaced) sometime this coming next week.

So far, I'm impressed with the service... if a bit surprised at the clock anomaly in the first place. Really an odd symptom, where (a) the elapsed time functions worked while powered on, like audio/video Player progress gauge time values as well as stopwatch widget, but (b) time-of-day functions did not work while powered on, including none of the analog/digital clock widgets or standard digital clocks on any main interface, and yet (c) normal time-of-day clock update function occurs once again when the unit is powered off, only to stop again when the unit gets powered back on.

More on this later this week when I get it back.

Old 09-08-2010, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post
I sent my J3 (with the "clock won't tick when powered on, but ticks normally when powered off" problem... as you're now also seeing) in RMA to Cowon on Tuesday, it arrived there Wednesday, and based on their online RMA status page it appears they started work on it on Thursday.

More on this later this week when I get it back.
Got my replaced J3 back last Saturday. Apparently they were unable to repair the problem unit and sent me back a brand new player (still with 2.03 firmware and original files, like "fresh out of the box").

They'd also had a rough time getting my problem J3 out of the leather case (those three securing prongs are REALLY REALLY STRONG!), so they also sent me back a brand new leather case.

And, they also sent a brand new LCD+body protective sheet kit, as I had installed on my previous J3.

Finally, I had unwittingly left my 32GB SanDisk card inserted in the problem J3 when I shipped it to them. I immediately emailed them a heads-up, which apparently got passed on to the RMA/service team. They had removed the card from the problem J3 and inserted it into the new J3 that they sent back to me... which certainly seemed like a very sensible way to return it to me.

I've now charged it up, done my minor Smart Widgets setup and Settings customization, and confirmed that "the clock in this new J3 is ticking normally" as it obviously should be. Back in business.

Very impressed with Cowon's prompt attention to my RMA, their responses to my emails (from a real person, who'd obviously read my message), and their willingness to just completely replace my defective J3 and accessories with brand new versions as appropriate.

Old 09-13-2010, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadohiosky View Post
how about getting yourself a watch for time measurement?

the clock on my iriver h320 is off by hours and minutes and i would have to set the time every once in a while, however i couldn't care the least that my dedicated AUDIO (and video resp. for pmp) player has a reliable clock, or not.

ofc it's an annoyance, but really: WE. GET. IT.

if you want to get it fixed, how about bothering cowon, not this forum, instead?
Am I not to respond to members questions? I was asked what I did to get my unit working and I answered him. If you don't care then don't make a prick of yourself with 'get yourself a watch' comments. Why are people so stupid. Arsehole.

Old 09-13-2010, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Am I not to respond to members questions? I was asked what I did to get my unit working and I answered him. If you don't care then don't make a prick of yourself with 'get yourself a watch' comments. Why are people so stupid. Arsehole.
the thing about your comments is that they aren't helping. at all.

you shared a fair deal of your frustration with us, app. the last 41 posts.

while this was ok for a while it now begins to annoy people (well, i can only speak for myself though).

recapitulating your first post ever on this forum, you accused the J3 of being not the best player in the world and being expensive rubbish.

while i wholeheartedly agree with your first statement, as there is no "the best mp3 player in the world", i strongly disagree with your second argument. but that's another story.

calling me names is also not the best thing to do when trying to win a dispute, but then again i couldn't care less about your rages.

Black Cowon J3 32 GB (Black Ringke Case) - no lousy Sennheiser CX 300 anymore, Pana HJE 900 took the throne... for keeps

Old 09-13-2010, 05:20 PM

I'll step back in here briefly... on the subject of the J3's clock.

My newly replaced J3, with firmware 2.22 in it, has kept absolutely flawless 100% accurate time for 6 days now, whether on or off.

I set it the day after I got it (charged battery overnight) and as of this minute it is still exactly correct.

Old 12-15-2010, 02:47 PM

Hi,

I came across a problem concerning the sleep mode and figured, because it has something to do with the battery life, that I should post it here.
The sleep mode is supposed to last for ca. 350 hours, that's at least, what the manual says. But it happend now two times, that put on the sleep mode in the evening and the next morning the battery was depleted.
So should I be concerned, did I miss something in the setting for the sleep mode or is it just normal?

Old 01-30-2011, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Healb00n View Post
Hi,

I came across a problem concerning the sleep mode and figured, because it has something to do with the battery life, that I should post it here.
The sleep mode is supposed to last for ca. 350 hours, that's at least, what the manual says. But it happend now two times, that put on the sleep mode in the evening and the next morning the battery was depleted.
So should I be concerned, did I miss something in the setting for the sleep mode or is it just normal?
Wondering if you found a solution to this problem?

Old 01-30-2011, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Healb00n View Post
I would say this is NOT normal. Shouldn't be happening.

Certainly implies it is not really "sleeping", but instead actually running something (other than the clock). If the screen goes black when you enter sleep mode, it shouldn't be the screen that is draining power.

I would contact Cowon, and request an RMA replacement if they can't help to resolve it.