android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Cowon iAudio > Cowon J3

Old 07-24-2010, 07:28 PM

Default J3 Questions: [BatteryLife of 32GB, SD card scans]

Hi!

I have 2 questions about the J3,

1. Does the 32gb actually have very common battery problems, and if so, would it be safer to just get the 16gb and plug a microSD into it, and

2. I've read about this 'issue' before and there seemed to be mixed experiences with it, so my question is - Each time you boot the J3, does it have to do a re-scan of the files on it? I first read that the answer was 'no,' but then somewhere else, a J3 user said it was in fact the case for them.

Thanks,
-justin

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-24-2010, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justing943 View Post
Hi!

I have 2 questions about the J3,

1. Does the 32gb actually have very common battery problems, and if so, would it be safer to just get the 16gb and plug a microSD into it, and

2. I've read about this 'issue' before and there seemed to be mixed experiences with it, so my question is - Each time you boot the J3, does it have to do a re-scan of the files on it? I first read that the answer was 'no,' but then somewhere else, a J3 user said it was in fact the case for them.

Thanks,
-justin
The way the J3 organizes its files, it must scan each time the unit is powered on. Being awoken from sleep mode does notrequire a rescan of all the files, but from a cold powered-off state to on, the J3 definitely does a scan of all files before you can start using it.

F/K/A Need Balance Control

Old 07-24-2010, 10:18 PM

Cool thanks! So, more files, more loading time, aye

Old 07-25-2010, 03:22 AM

I use my J3 multiple times daily, so I set Sleep Mode (Settings > System) to On, Auto Off to 10 Min (Settings > Time > Timer) and Auto Display Off to 1 Min (Settings > Display). Means having to charge it more often, but that's better than having to wait for it to scan the files every time it turns on. I just wish there was a setting that would let you maintain the Touchscreen Hold mode after awakening the player, as I always get accidental activation of the screen when its in my pocket unless that's set.

Old 07-25-2010, 07:09 AM

^Capacitive screen should only activate via finger-press. D2 only rescans after charge or a data change. Dunno if I'd wait for 30-odd GBs data to rescan every time.
Hopefully why my S9 eats power...sleep mode on.

Old 07-25-2010, 10:27 AM

I have the 32gb model and my battery depleted over night 8hrs, still testing. The J3 only scans if there are alterations to the files. I always power off and there is no re-scan.

Old 07-25-2010, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xul View Post
I have the 32gb model and my battery depleted over night 8hrs, still testing. The J3 only scans if there are alterations to the files. I always power off and there is no re-scan.
This statement logically makes no sense. How does the J3 know upon power up, without scanning first, whether an alteration has taken place?

It's pretty clear from the status progress indicator that the J3 scans upon startup all files stored in internal memory then scans all the files stored in the external micro sd card.

This becomes especially noticeable when one has an external memory card installed as the J3 displays separate progress bars when scanning the internal and external memory upon startup each time.

I just right now powered cycled 4 times to re-confirm whether it scanned each time. Indeed it did scan, each and every time when powered off then on.

Old 07-25-2010, 11:02 AM
Ultra Senior Member

It actually does a very quick scan, AFAICanTell, because my D2 scans uber quick when there's no change, but when I do add files it scans slower.

Old 07-25-2010, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickysio View Post
It actually does a very quick scan, AFAICanTell, because my D2 scans uber quick when there's no change, but when I do add files it scans slower.
How does the J3 know whether files have been added or altered without scanning first? Even if there's a checksum number to compare, it needs to first scan all the files to calculate a checksum to match a previously saved checksum number.

Old 07-25-2010, 11:22 AM

Well the D2 does this, so its definitely possible. Resume works on Ext-memory after hard shutdown[with no alterations], otherwise plays from beginning of last song. I guess it checks similarity then.

Old 07-25-2010, 11:59 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need Balance Control View Post
How does the J3 know whether files have been added or altered without scanning first? Even if there's a checksum number to compare, it needs to first scan all the files to calculate a checksum to match a previously saved checksum number.
Which is why I said it does a very quick scan first?

Old 07-25-2010, 12:47 PM

Quote:
This statement logically makes no sense. How does the J3 know upon power up, without scanning first, whether an alteration has taken place?

It's pretty clear from the status progress indicator that the J3 scans upon startup all files stored in internal memory then scans all the files stored in the external micro sd card.

This becomes especially noticeable when one has an external memory card installed as the J3 displays separate progress bars when scanning the internal and external memory upon startup each time.

I just right now powered cycled 4 times to re-confirm whether it scanned each time. Indeed it did scan, each and every time when powered off then on.
I mean it doesn't scan with 2 lines. Just the blue not the grey. It takes less than 1 second. It makes complete sense.

Old 07-25-2010, 12:51 PM

Quote:
All it has to do at session start place a checksum value in 'A'. at power down place new checksum in 'B'. At power up check if 'A' = 'B'. If true then no files have been added. Go to start... If false then look for new files, add them. Go to start.

Old 07-25-2010, 12:56 PM

What is really odd is now my clock has begun ticking. I still can't get it to display 24hr time. It show 05:55.00 instead of 17:55.00. progress i suppose.

Old 07-25-2010, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chri5peed View Post
Capacitive screen should only activate via finger-press.
If I cover my finger with the cotton material of my pocket, I can still select items on the screen, so when the player hits against my leg when I'm walking, the same thing occurs. I just tried pressing it against my leg through my shorts and it happened.

The easiest way for me to control the player when walking is by pressing on the side buttons through the outside of my shorts. (Though the buttons protrude so little that I had to get the silicone skin for the player and cut holes for some of the buttons in order to be able to distinguish between them through cloth by touch.) If the player is turned toward my leg, then my leg hitting it will activate the screen. If the player is turned away from my leg, then I'll accidentally activate the screen with my fingers when I'm reaching to grab the player initially to find the buttons. So I have to keep the Hold setting always on.

Even better than the Hold setting being maintained across the player turning off and on would be if there were a setting or button such that the screen didn't come on at all upon waking from sleep mode. Its just a waste of battery life for it to come on at all when you're navigating using the side buttons alone.

Old 07-26-2010, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyomil View Post
Even better than the Hold setting being maintained across the player turning off and on would be if there were a setting or button such that the screen didn't come on at all upon waking from sleep mode. Its just a waste of battery life for it to come on at all when you're navigating using the side buttons alone.
How would a person know the J3 was out of sleep mode? There needs to be some indication beyond just music playing--the unit could have been in another mode besides playing music when it went to sleep.

Old 07-26-2010, 10:54 PM

Quote:
How would a person know the J3 was out of sleep mode? There needs to be some indication beyond just music playing--the unit could have been in another mode besides playing music when it went to sleep.
I know when the J3 is on by the faint static noise it makes when it comes out of sleep mode. But a unique sound or recording of the word "Music" (or "Recorder," "Video," etc.) could be played to indicate the mode.

Old 07-27-2010, 03:09 AM

Can a start-up-noise be set by the user themselves?

Old 07-27-2010, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justing943 View Post
Can a start-up-noise be set by the user themselves?
Not on the stock firmware.

Old 08-22-2010, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xul View Post
What is really odd is now my clock has begun ticking. I still can't get it to display 24hr time. It show 05:55.00 instead of 17:55.00. progress i suppose.
What did you do to get your clock to start ticking???

I may have the same problem you ran into. I had been reading about this 00:00AM vs. 12:00AM subject and decided to see for myself what it looked like when I set the clock during that midnight hour.

Well ever since that time my clock WILL NOT MOVE!!! At least it will not move as long as the J3 is powered on. But as soon as I power it off, the clock restarts itself and operates normally for as long as I leave it powered off.

But once I power it on again, the time-of-day clock displays a new "frozen" time at now whatever it is from wherever it last was when it got un-frozen by being powered off. It has obviously advanced normally during its power-off state, but as soon as I power it on it freezes again.

At first I thought this was a software error but I've completely FORMAT'ed the unit and it makes no difference. The clock still is frozen when the unit is powered on, and works normally when the unit is powered off. All since that mystical time-set during the midnight hour.

But nothing I've tried (including setting the time all throughout the day other than at the midnight hour) has kick-started my clock back to life when powered on.

So, I repeat... did you do anything that you can recall that got your clock ticking again???