android
Go Back   abi>>forums > General Audio > Headphones

Old 07-23-2010, 06:30 PM

Default EarSonics SM3 - Recommending replacement tips

Had my SM3's delivered to me today (decided not to go with FX700's in the end). But wanted any recommendations on what kind of tips SM3 owners may have bought that have made a difference in comfort for them, especially in sound quality.

TBH I'm quite happy with the foam tips provided with the SM3's, but wouldn't mind purchasing other tips for the sake of further improving my listening experience.
The silicone tips provided are horrible for my ears; hard to fit.:S
I know in the review Phonak Audťo PFE tips were recommended after some fiddling about. Wanted know if there's any good alternatives that are just as good and fit right on without any modding.

Play seems to sell some tips of sorts here. I don't know what places might be good for buying tips, play.com was just one of the 1st things that came up on my search.

Any recommendations would be great, thanks!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-24-2010, 03:44 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Silicon tips hard to fit...?

Are they too small or too big?

Old 07-24-2010, 05:52 AM

Future Sonics double flange silicon tips work fine on the SM3 nozzle, without any additional fiddling or modding. A friend of mine who borrowed the SM3 from me likes them better than my PFE tips contraption. UK seller of Future Sonics tips: http://www.handheldaudio.co.uk/pages...=Future+Sonics

These tips fit too, as an alternative to the Future Sonics ones: http://www.sensorcom.com/product.asp...istory=related - I like those somewhat better than the Future Sonics ones.

From the stuff on play.com barely anything would fit - and the SM3 do come with their own Comply foam tips anyways. As you don't like the stock foamies, you won't like the ones sold on play.com either.

Old 07-24-2010, 07:17 AM
Ultra Senior Member

FS silicon tips are painful in my ears after an hour even if I use the small one...

Old 07-24-2010, 09:48 AM

@rickysio - Yup they are double flange silicon tips sorry, but uncomfortable to insert as they're slightly too big for my ears.

@dfkt - I'll get those FS tips I think. Not sure to go for medium or small I hope i make the right choice :P
I'll get those ones from sensorcom as well as the price isn't so bad.

The stock foams I don't mind surprisingly, but yes I'll avoid buying other foams from elsewhere and try out some better silicon ones instead.
Thanks for your help dfkt, I'll see how much difference these tips will make for my own comfort and listening experience. Cheers.

Old 07-29-2010, 10:21 AM

I decided to just order the tips from sensorcom.com.
Perfect double-flange silicon tips, I like these a lot. I won't bother ordering any FS tips, as these sensorcom ones suit me just fine, and I don't think I will ever use the foamies again.
There's certainly more clarity with the sensorcom tips, and they're really comfortable!
Only slight mod I had to do was to cut down the size of the canal piece of the tip; they're a tad too long by default.

The only rant I will have is that postage cost £4.52 (1st class rec) for a light packaged envelope that weighs no more than 20grams! Close enough to the cost of the tips themselves.

Anyhow these tips have made a nice difference for my SM3 listening experience, especially in comfort. Highly recommended tips, and most certainly better than stock ES SM3 tips.

Last edited by Moyt; 07-29-2010 at 10:44 AM.

Old 07-29-2010, 11:09 AM

Yesterday I just switched from my PFE contraptions to the Sensorcom/Alpine tips as well. It's always a matter of getting used to, and I've never been a big fan of double flanges - but these are by far the best to my ears, clearly better fitting than the Atrio, UE, Ety tips.

Old 08-02-2010, 10:16 AM

This is a nice site @ dfkt.

Old 08-04-2010, 09:53 AM

Welcome eric! Glad you found this forum.

Old 08-04-2010, 07:52 PM

Another tip tip... since I had a bit of a discovery last night. I decided to try out Monster tips again even though I'd run through both kinds of super tips. Well I accidentally grabbed the bag of single flange standard silicones, and thought I may as well try them while I had them out. So I stuffed Shure Olive central cores inside and pushed them on the SM3's.. and wow, what a fit for me. I immediately heard deeper bass, a bit of a widening to the soundstage, and overall just better drive and dynamics. I wonder if it has to do with a much better coupling with my ear canal because man are the earphones locked in place with these tips. Therefore the range is just so full and the SM3's have a more noticeable explosiveness with them. My previous favorite tip was the JAYS single flange silicone. But these handily better them. I know how much of a personal thing tips are for individuals, but if anyone has the Coppers, please try the Monster single flange standard tips on Olive cores. Great stuff, for my ears.

Old 08-05-2010, 10:23 AM
Ultra Senior Member

The SuperTip gel filled single flange one?

Old 08-08-2010, 08:11 AM

No, the standard single flange silicone. The gel filled supertip was a bit too stiff to conform to the shape of my ear canal I think, thus I didn't get nearly as secure a fit/seal. Go figure, the lowly ol' common single flange by Monster wound up being 'the one' to this point.

Old 11-22-2010, 12:56 AM

Cool interestingly

So tonight Iím sitting here looking at my collection of earphones and tips etc. wondering which one can fit... i found some old silicone Shure e3 tips that fit perfectly with great isolation deep bass and great comfort. However, they are kind of short and i wondered i wish i had some long ones with a single flange so i though oh wait i have 2 different size double flange tips for the SM3. "Smiling" so i decided to cut off the second flange one the larger tips and leave the first top one. Night and Day sound is great comfort is wonderful like nothing is in the ear, this is so crazy cause these hurt like hell before now they sound so much better and fit with no issues. The bass is hard and powerful and simply just wonderful, the minds and highs are all there effortlessly. IDK if itís always been like this with these tips but i guess i was more focused on the pain and not listen to the music before. Now Iím enjoying my SM3 like never before. For those who hate the double flange tips try this mod and see if like me you enjoy it too.

Check out the pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0021.jpg (30.1 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0020.jpg (31.0 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0022.jpg (21.2 KB, 24 views)

Old 06-21-2011, 09:50 AM

Are there any tips similar to Comply foam tips but for the sm3? Especially foams that have the wax-guard.

I'll be buying another lot of these Double-flange silicon eartips.
But I would like some good foams as well. I wouldn't know which Comply foam tips would fit the SM3 either, that's if there are any designed to fit the SM3.