android
Old 07-23-2010, 04:39 PM

Default Song Order Issue

Loaded my new Cowon up with songs but frustratingly rather than listing songs in album order it is listing in alphabetical order in each album, very frustrating as it is not the way I like to listen to music!

Not sure what the cause is, I am using FLAC files ripped with ID3 tags by Easy CD-DA extractor and synced with Media Jukebox, though I have tried drag and drop and it still causes the same issue. I have used same software to sync my Sandisc Clip+ with Flac files and iPod Classic with MP3 files and neither have done this. Reading around it suggests that naming the files starting with the song number would ammend this but all files are already named in this way.

Anyone help?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-23-2010, 06:16 PM

It's because you navigate by folder and you don't have track numbers on your file's name, try navigating by tags.

Old 07-24-2010, 02:31 AM

How do I navigate by tags? The track number is in the file name.

Old 07-24-2010, 10:34 AM

You have choice between [Folder] or tags [Album][Artist][Songs][Genre] in file browser.

Old 07-24-2010, 10:59 AM

I got you now, but I am navigating by tag already, however now I have found out how to navigate by folder, this puts the songs in the right order as the filenames have the track number in them. However it would be much easier if it allowed me to navigate by tag in song order, anyone know why it might not let me do this?

Old 07-24-2010, 11:02 AM

Then it's probably because your ID3 tags aren't in order. You can use apps such as MP3Tag to add track numbers to your files' tags.

Old 07-24-2010, 11:03 AM

So your order issue comes when you navigated by tags???

Edit : Same thing like dfkt.

Old 07-24-2010, 11:31 AM

I am fairly sure the tags are correct, when I rip the CDs using CD-DA extractor it is set to automatically write the tags at the same time, surely if they were not written I would have had this issue on my Sandisk or iPod?
See below screengrab from CD-DA extractor, that tag looks all fine to me?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tag.jpg (13.5 KB, 25 views)

Old 07-24-2010, 11:47 AM

Then my guess is that your sync software is messing with the tags during transfer. Try dragging and dropping clean files over, via Explorer?

Old 07-24-2010, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
Then my guess is that your sync software is messing with the tags during transfer. Try dragging and dropping clean files over, via Explorer?
Tried that, no joy

Old 07-24-2010, 11:52 AM

Hmmm... if your player is set to MTP transfer mode, I would try setting it to MSC (or vice versa), then trying to manually drag'n'drop again. Just to circle in on the issue.

Old 07-25-2010, 12:34 PM

It is because the j3 doesn't like fractional track numbers. ie 1/12, 2/12 etc. if you just use whole numbers things will work as expected.

Old 07-26-2010, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xul View Post
It is because the j3 doesn't like fractional track numbers. ie 1/12, 2/12 etc. if you just use whole numbers things will work as expected.
Have to disagree here.

My ID3 tags are created by Audiograbber (which I use to rip/tag my MP3 files, invoking LAME to do the encoding). The track number values are "fractional", e.g. 1/12, 2/12, etc.

In my case, the presentation of tracks for an [Album] browse are in order by track number, exactly as the original tracks appeared on the CD. I do not have track number as part of my track name... it is purely track name.

So, in my case if I play an [Album] the track list is NOT alphabetical, but rather IS in true track number sequence per the track number as found in the ID3 tag. I have to browse using [Folder] in order to show the tracks in alphabetical sequence (as they would appear in Windows Explorer).

If I blank out the fractional track numbers in my ID3 tags, the file names (again, without track number at the front of those track names) from [Album] are now presented in alphabetical sequence and will play that way. But with n/m track numbers present in the ID3 tags, the presentation is strictly n, n+1, n+2, etc.

Old 08-17-2010, 10:27 AM

I have the same problem but only for WMA format.

I use MediaMonkey 3.2.2.1300 to edit my ID3 tags.
If the songs are in MP3 format then it's OK.
If I use Creative Media Source 5 to edit the ID3 tag and even with WMA files it's OK too.

it's seem to append only when I edit the WMA ID3 tags witch MediaMonkey.

But I don't think it's a MediaMonkey bugs because when I look the order of the song in other multimedia program (like Windows Media Player 11) the order is right.

I thing it's a bug in the way the J3 look the #track in the ID3 Tags of WMA song files.

TO REPRODUCE THIS BUG:
Install MediaMonkey
Take a album where the song are all in WMA format.
Change one of the ID3 tag field (Example, the title of the album).
Upload the album in the J3 and you will see that the order is not right anymore.

anybody found a solution for that ?

Old 08-28-2010, 08:38 AM

You need 'track#' tags, I know foobar2000 would guess them via masstagger.

Old 07-10-2011, 09:34 PM

How do you change the navigation settings from folder to [album] [artist] [#] to begin with?

Old 07-11-2011, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklineld View Post
How do you change the navigation settings from folder to [album] [artist] [#] to begin with?
Not exactly clear what you're asking?

If you push the Browser button from the main menu, you'll be placed at whatever last level you were at, however you were last browsing. If you then push the left-up arrow button at the bottom-left of the screen, you'll be taken right back up to the highest-level of the Browser, namely "Library".

At the top of the list now shown onscreen, there will be [Folders]. If you start from here, you'll next see [J3] and [J3 Ext], etc., and as you continue you'll be navigating down through your folders/files in alphabetical sequence, exactly as would happen say with Windows Explorer if you examined the internal and external drive of the J3 while it was connected to the PC. Because of the [J3] vs. [J3 Ext], your navigation downward is completely segregated by internal storage or external storage.

But below the [Folders] line, there are other additional lines [Artists], [Albums], [Songs], [Years], and [Genres], which are the categories of information from the tag fields in the tags inside your music files.

Furthermore, browsing down through these tag field items will show you all of your music files no matter whether they are located on internal or external storage. The tags database comes from the J3's examination of ALL of your music files at each boot.

So there's nothing in the J3's settings to actually "change", to navigate using the tag fields vs. folders. You simply start downward from the Library top-level, going through either (a) [Folders], or (b) one of the tag field categories.

Now, within a low-level single folder (e.g. "album"), the J3 presents the tracks in track-number sequence based on the internal "track #" field inside the tags. This mimics how the physical CD would play if you put it in a real CD player.

Other larger, macro presentations (e.g. [All Tracks] for an artist) are in alphabetical sequence.

Have I answered your question? Still unclear exactly what you wanted to know about.