android
Go Back   abi>>forums > Miscellaneous Tech > Anythingbutiphone

View Poll Results: What is your preferred mobile phone formfactor?
Touch Screen Only 77 36.15%
Touch Screen with Horizontal Qwerty 106 49.77%
Candy Bar Qwerty 13 6.10%
Candy Bar Slider with Vertical Qwerty 13 6.10%
Other, Please Explain Below 4 1.88%
Voters: 213. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-12-2010, 07:00 PM
ABI Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by medion View Post
You can turn off the annoying auto-correct feature. I did on mine. I just got sick of spelling words correctly, hitting space, and getting an entirely different word.
Then i have the problem of not enough room to hit the keys in portrait mode. So its helpful as well as annoying to have autocorrect... =\ Perhaps thats the issue i will have with all touch screen phones.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-12-2010, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickysio View Post
After revisiting Swype after months of not using it (on a display HTC Desire), I now stand corrected - Swype is not a sufficiently good alternative.
i actually agree with you on this one because i used swype when it first came out but ive recently stopped using it because its still in beta for the nexus one and its a pain in the ass to get it working again after rom updates. I now use swift key which is a conventional touchscreen keyboard but instead of predicting what word youre typing it analyzes your speech pattern and tries to predict the word youre going to use next as well.

Im not saying swype is going to be the alternative to touch screen keyboard woes im just saying swype has triggered people to think of alternate ways of text input on touch screens like thick buttons or blind type.

for all the non believers

Old 08-13-2010, 06:54 AM
Ultra Senior Member

The best input method would be to write out the words we're thinking, IMO.

But BlindType looks pretty awesome.

Old 08-13-2010, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinl1030 View Post
i actually agree with you on this one because i used swype when it first came out but ive recently stopped using it because its still in beta for the nexus one and its a pain in the ass to get it working again after rom updates. I now use swift key which is a conventional touchscreen keyboard but instead of predicting what word youre typing it analyzes your speech pattern and tries to predict the word youre going to use next as well.

Im not saying swype is going to be the alternative to touch screen keyboard woes im just saying swype has triggered people to think of alternate ways of text input on touch screens like thick buttons or blind type.

for all the non believers

*video
That is incredible. Want.
Or this: A glossary for newbies
-Stuart, Twitter

Old 08-20-2010, 11:46 PM
Banned

oops, chooseded wrong one, I prefer the palm-pre style, accdently picked the other slider style.

Old 08-31-2010, 01:25 PM

Easily a horizontal slider, currently using an N900 - yes it's a bit thicker but I find it's well worth the added bulk. I can't stand touch screen only phones having made the mistake of buying that design, I just find the onscreen keyboards horrible - they're ok when typing standard English text but frequently I'm using highly technical language or needing a lot of symbol use which these systems cannot predict. I'm not keen on Blackberry style handsets either as I find the keys too small and too close together nor do I like using the phone predominantly in portrait mode for the slider/touch designs.

John

Old 12-25-2010, 06:39 AM

I am still amazed how people are still hooked to horizontal sliders. Funny thing being that I'd love sliders for tablets, but that's probably where we are the most unlikely to see them.