android
Go Back   abi>>forums > Miscellaneous Tech > Anythingbutiphone

View Poll Results: What is your preferred mobile phone formfactor?
Touch Screen Only 77 36.15%
Touch Screen with Horizontal Qwerty 106 49.77%
Candy Bar Qwerty 13 6.10%
Candy Bar Slider with Vertical Qwerty 13 6.10%
Other, Please Explain Below 4 1.88%
Voters: 213. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-06-2010, 01:09 PM
Contributing Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
I even looked at this 1, but it's like getting a 2yo phone. Too bad, looked good on paper.
I know. While it will be OK for corporate users, its a shame that the specs seem to be the only thing holding this back. Its a very good looking phone. I don't necessarily think RIM dropped the ball on this, but rather they are still kicking the can. Maybe the Torch 2 can catch up to the pack.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-06-2010, 01:43 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Enzo, you didn't vote yet.

Old 08-06-2010, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
Enzo, you didn't vote yet.
Big Brother is watching your voting behaviour, comrade. or in newspeak vothave.

Old 08-06-2010, 02:22 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Since he started this thread, I'd be interested in what he prefers. You can check the vote results too - it's a public poll, after all.

Old 08-06-2010, 03:25 PM

oh, snap. didn't know, though i don't care that much for it either , just wanted to make a snide remark, you being administrator and posing as the tyrannic election officer. guess i have to rebuke myself.

it's just not easy to contain oneself, from being a notorious wisecrack.

Old 08-06-2010, 08:58 PM

I went touch screen only - because I have only personally experience a candy bar numerical keyboard and a touchscreen for long periods...

I don't mind the idea, of the touch screen slideable QWERTY, but that would be the only one I think I'd try. I think if you make it slidy, it makes it unnecesarily thicker then one without the slidy. That's my only gripe
Or this: A glossary for newbies
-Stuart, Twitter

Old 08-07-2010, 12:28 AM
Ultra Senior Member

It necessarily requires to be thicker, and most phones today are already very very thin (compared to yester years) and no one was complaining!

Old 08-07-2010, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickysio View Post
It necessarily requires to be thicker, and most phones today are already very very thin (compared to yester years) and no one was complaining!
lol, I just read what I wrote and omg. WTF??

haha. Disregard that stupid comment. It was meant to somehow mean "thicker then just plain touch or qwerty".
-Stuart, Twitter

Old 08-07-2010, 11:33 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by copeys View Post
lol, I just read what I wrote and omg. WTF??

haha. Disregard that stupid comment. It was meant to somehow mean "thicker then just plain touch or qwerty".
You'd be able to fit in a larger screen given the same LxH dimensions, though. Look at the size of the Palm Pixi and the Palm Pre, for example.

Old 08-07-2010, 11:44 AM

Touch screen only, if theres a click sound when typing, typing on screen is good for me.

Old 08-07-2010, 12:35 PM

i voted touchscreen only for multiple reasons. i dont like how the keyboard adds extra bulk and i believe that touch screen keyboards on capacitive touchscreens have more potential (swype).

on the otherhand if i were to have a phone with a qwerty keyboard id prefer a candybar with no touchscreen at all.

Old 08-07-2010, 12:39 PM
Ultra Senior Member

After revisiting Swype after months of not using it (on a display HTC Desire), I now stand corrected - Swype is not a sufficiently good alternative.

Old 08-07-2010, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickysio View Post
You'd be able to fit in a larger screen given the same LxH dimensions, though. Look at the size of the Palm Pixi and the Palm Pre, for example.
meh, size of screen is not a big deal for me. I would much prefer a thinner phone over screen real estate. I only really ring/text so doesn't matter
-Stuart, Twitter

Old 08-07-2010, 11:35 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by copeys View Post
meh, size of screen is not a big deal for me. I would much prefer a thinner phone over screen real estate. I only really ring/text so doesn't matter
Then you'd probably like the Nokia E55...?

Old 08-11-2010, 12:02 PM

Swype was invented.
I want an Android phone, only touchscreen, and touchscreen with keyboard so thats what I want.

I have a candybar phone atm, HTC Ozone. I had a Blackberry before. Windows Mobile sucks (7 will feature ADs, yeah sure thats what the consumer wants. If you still had Bing cashback then it would be worth something), Blackberry OS is streamlined but very basic. Never did Symbian before.

Used iPhone as well. Really cool phone, but not very 'useful' mostly games. Great for a gamer, not for someone looking for functionality with mutitasking. I had the 2G so it was weaker, might be different now. Jailbroken made it have mutitasking but it was too slow.

Old 08-11-2010, 12:11 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nausicaa View Post
Swype was invented.
I want an Android phone, only touchscreen, and touchscreen with keyboard so thats what I want.

I have a candybar phone atm, HTC Ozone. I had a Blackberry before. Windows Mobile sucks (7 will feature ADs, yeah sure thats what the consumer wants. If you still had Bing cashback then it would be worth something), Blackberry OS is streamlined but very basic. Never did Symbian before.

Used iPhone as well. Really cool phone, but not very 'useful' mostly games. Great for a gamer, not for someone looking for functionality with mutitasking. I had the 2G so it was weaker, might be different now. Jailbroken made it have mutitasking but it was too slow.
You want a touchscreen only phone or a phone with a touchscreen and a hardware keyboard?

Old 08-12-2010, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
I'm eying the Galaxy S, but the new Windows Phone 7 and Android horizontal QWERTY phones are in my sights as well. Even the new Droid 2 is said to have the keyboard that corrects the flaws on the model I have - that MIGHT be my next phone, especially if the RockBox app gets completed for Android.
I don't think the Droid 2 has a camera flash when I researched it. Nor does it have amoled display. I would have to have at least one of them. Nah! I need amoled or I'm not buying.

I would go for the Galaxy S. You would have awesome unmatched video quality and good sound quality enhancements for music.

Also, isn't Verizon way more expensive? I'm with T-Mobile and their plans are lower than most. Service (reception and clarity) is great since I live in a big city. Verizon is probably best for those not living in big city areas where most other company's service is weak.

The only thing that concerns me now (the reason I'm waiting) is having the option to play video games with a controller (not touch screen). A snap on controller would be excellent. I think Apple has a patent to one. Does that mean no one else can make it?

This video really make me want to get the Droid though LOL.

Here's one for the iphone (not yet released I think)

Last edited by h1a8; 08-12-2010 at 03:44 PM.

Old 08-12-2010, 05:09 PM
Anythingbutiphone Moderator

Quote:
I don't think the Droid 2 has a camera flash when I researched it. Nor does it have amoled display. I would have to have at least one of them. Nah! I need amoled or I'm not buying.

I would go for the Galaxy S. You would have awesome unmatched video quality and good sound quality enhancements for music.
I'm a fan of AMOLED, and they have their advantages, but they are horribly overrated right now. In fact, the Moto Droid has the most accurate display for any mobile device out today. AMOLED is typically over saturated. Also, displays made by Samsung are usually using a Pentile Matrix, which gives it a dithered look when using 24-bit color.

They look nice, but they have a ways to go. I do love the AMOLED on my Zune HD and my Droid Incredible, but I would have loved if they had used a 24-bit S-LCD instead.

Old 08-12-2010, 06:08 PM
ABI Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
Since he started this thread, I'd be interested in what he prefers. You can check the vote results too - it's a public poll, after all.
I did vote shortly after i made the poll. Horizontal qwerty slider, FTW!

I actually find myself texting less and writing few emails with my HTC incredible due to the fact that its a touch screen. My major issue with it is auto correct- too many words that are not in the dictionary and kb is too cramped to be accurate. Though i think touch screen get a bit better when you approach the EVO sized screen of 4.3". I tried it in the store and it makes a huge difference compared to the HTC Incredible's 3.7". But im not sure i want to carry that big ass EVO. Would have to live with it for a bit to know.

Old 08-12-2010, 07:50 PM
Anythingbutiphone Moderator

You can turn off the annoying auto-correct feature. I did on mine. I just got sick of spelling words correctly, hitting space, and getting an entirely different word.