android
Go Back   abi>>forums > Miscellaneous Tech > Anythingbutiphone

View Poll Results: What is your preferred mobile phone formfactor?
Touch Screen Only 77 36.15%
Touch Screen with Horizontal Qwerty 106 49.77%
Candy Bar Qwerty 13 6.10%
Candy Bar Slider with Vertical Qwerty 13 6.10%
Other, Please Explain Below 4 1.88%
Voters: 213. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-01-2010, 12:37 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by medion View Post
The Nokia E71 (in black) is the sexiest smartphone ever designed. Make it slightly larger/wider to accommodate a 2.6" screen, make it higher res (480x360, like the BB Bold), and give Symbian a useful update (I can has HTML in email plz!?) and you have my perfect smartphone.

Alas, Nokia continues to the opposite. Horrendous design updates, screen size/resolutions from 2005, bugs and crashes with Symbian but no useful new features, etc. I gave up on them and settled on Android.
The E72 already opens email in HTML, AFAIK after my stint with it.

And as for no new features on Symbian... Well, they already had pretty much everything that others are now adding. What's left is to prettify the UI, in order for other people to actually like the OS.

Because really, the outdated UI is the only part most reviewers spends the most time on.

I'd agree with the lousy design, though. The N97/N900 seemed to be their best design currently... The N8 looks odd, and well, nothing more needs to be said about their budget models.

As for screen resolution, I'd think that it's just Nokia wanting to preserve app compatibility. What use is a higher res screen if anything other than official apps can't run till they get updated? Who knows how long it'd take?

As for a wider E71, well, there was the E61, but that was ginormous.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-01-2010, 12:39 AM

I have a mytouch 3G. I like it, except it's slow. I want a Samsung Vibrant.

The virtual keyboard isn't so bad, and I've tried a lot of physical keyboards, but most of them are not very good. The Droid's keyboard is awful; I seriously think only Sidekicks had good keyboards...

Blackberry keyboards are too squashed. The Palm Pre had this same issue.

Old 08-01-2010, 12:50 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Try the one on the HTC Touch Pro 2? Quite a lot of people I know swear by it... Didn't get to try it though, as a relic of the MSM7200A era it got phased out by the service provider very rapidly.

And if you can get access to a N900, try it's as well. The best damn keyboard I have had tried so far.

Old 08-01-2010, 01:33 AM
Ultra Senior Member

How about the Sony Ericsson Xperia X1 keyboard?

Old 08-01-2010, 04:05 AM
Ultra Senior Member

That one is epic fail. Worse than the one on the Milestone/Droid.

Keys have nearly no feedback, dust gets in easily and f--ks with input (double type or no input), and very tiiiny keys + not very large gap between slider and keyboard when slid out (top row is quite hard to access as a result) = fail.

Old 08-03-2010, 01:26 AM

I'll have to opt for the touchscreen. I am so particular about tactile buttons in general, so I normally avoid them; it's all about getting the right feel.

Old 08-03-2010, 06:53 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by assimilator View Post
I'll have to opt for the touchscreen. I am so particular about tactile buttons in general, so I normally avoid them; it's all about getting the right feel.
You want a mechanical switch in your phone?

Old 08-03-2010, 09:40 AM
ABI Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by assimilator View Post
RIM nailed tactile. I haven't come across a better keyboard that what is on the Blackberry Bold.

Old 08-03-2010, 09:47 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I would disagree though, having tried the keyboard before. It felt mushier (than the E71), and the keys rocked at tad more than I'd like them to. I still prefer the E71's over the Bold's (To be sure, we're talking about the BB 9700, right? I'm not very clear with BB's nomenclature, because I'm never getting a BB.), and over the E71 my N900's keyboard.

Old 08-03-2010, 04:58 PM
ABI Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickysio View Post
I would disagree though, having tried the keyboard before. It felt mushier (than the E71), and the keys rocked at tad more than I'd like them to. I still prefer the E71's over the Bold's (To be sure, we're talking about the BB 9700, right? I'm not very clear with BB's nomenclature, because I'm never getting a BB.), and over the E71 my N900's keyboard.
Yes the BB 9700. What i like about it is the perfect tactile click and each of the buttons have a specific raised angle to accommodate the angle of your thumbs on the keyboard. This is probably the only thumb keyboard i can type on without looking.

I have also had the E71 and the N900, both i think are some of the worst keyboards, squishy and unresponsive. Also there is no room on the N900 to fit your fingers in. Both nokias also have really strange charcater mapped keys that lend to slower typing. to each his own...

Old 08-03-2010, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnzoTen View Post
RIM nailed tactile. I haven't come across a better keyboard that what is on the Blackberry Bold.
Although its a landscape keyboard, the keyboard on the Touch Pro 2 is better than the Bold imo.

Old 08-03-2010, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Yes the BB 9700. What i like about it is the perfect tactile click and each of the buttons have a specific raised angle to accommodate the angle of your thumbs on the keyboard. This is probably the only thumb keyboard i can type on without looking.

I have also had the E71 and the N900, both i think are some of the worst keyboards, squishy and unresponsive. Also there is no room on the N900 to fit your fingers in. Both nokias also have really strange charcater mapped keys that lend to slower typing. to each his own...
The Bold's keyboard is indeed very comfortable.. However, I disagree with the e71 having the worst keyboard.. I would say its atleast as comfortable as the bold's it just have a different feel to it.. As people might already know that I have an e63 (basically same keyboard as the e71, well Almost) and I must say that speed wise.. I could type as fast in the e63 and the bold.. I could also type without looking on both keypads and I feel that they are both as comfortable. It just needs time to get use to it..

Old 08-04-2010, 01:53 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
This is exactly correct - while he Bold is near perfection insofar as tactile keys are concerned, I do feel RIM has gotten it right for most all of their product line.

Again, I will race anyone on the planet who uses any size touchscreen in terms of typing accuracy and speed.
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 08-04-2010, 05:00 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:

Yeah, to each his own, I guess. I tried the 9700 again today, and really, I still stand with my opinion.

Old 08-04-2010, 05:46 PM

Vertical slider for me all the way. Every time I use my Motorola Droid keyboard I think "Why, oh why didn't they make this slide the other way?!"

Vertical sliders offer the best of both worlds. Love my compact and efficient Blackberry keyboard. I also love the large screen on my Droid.

Old 08-04-2010, 07:03 PM

Default Droid Incredible for me

Ever since I got my Droid Incredible, my Zune HD has been in a drawer, and my ipod is fairly lonely, too. I don't have to deal with iTunes' bs, and I can just drag and drop pretty much any format file onto the Dinc and watch or play it.

I put a 32g microSD card in it, so it's got 40g of storage, more than my first iPod, and more than my Zune HD. Plus it's got a radio, can run Pandora, Slacker, last.fm, or stream directly from my desktop.

I was very nervous about giving up the hardware keyboard, having previously used a Palm Treo. After a few weeks, though, I was just as fast on the screen keyboard as the Treo keyboard.

H

Old 08-05-2010, 10:21 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil_Sunshine View Post
Vertical slider for me all the way. Every time I use my Motorola Droid keyboard I think "Why, oh why didn't they make this slide the other way?!"

Vertical sliders offer the best of both worlds. Love my compact and efficient Blackberry keyboard. I also love the large screen on my Droid.
BB Torch for thee?

Old 08-05-2010, 01:58 PM

voted for vertical slider =)
actually owning a palm pre first gen =)
for me it's the best form factor speaking of usability in MY hands.
I think a horizontal slider would work well too in my hands. but no webOS device like that actually exists

Old 08-06-2010, 09:57 AM

I love the touchscreen with the horizontal qwerty, but I had to vote for the all touchscreen because I have been playing around with the Droid X in the Verizon store and I love it. And I will definitely be getting it soon.

Old 08-06-2010, 10:20 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickysio View Post
BB Torch for thee?
I even looked at this 1, but it's like getting a 2yo phone. Too bad, looked good on paper.