android
Go Back   abi>>forums > Miscellaneous Tech > Anythingbutiphone

View Poll Results: What is your preferred mobile phone formfactor?
Touch Screen Only 77 36.15%
Touch Screen with Horizontal Qwerty 106 49.77%
Candy Bar Qwerty 13 6.10%
Candy Bar Slider with Vertical Qwerty 13 6.10%
Other, Please Explain Below 4 1.88%
Voters: 213. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-28-2010, 05:03 PM

Virtual keyboards are OK, much better then standard hardwere T9. But it just cant match a reall full qwerty keyboard. Touch screen + horizontal keyboard ftw!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-29-2010, 04:11 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nismo96 View Post
After having a touchscreen device with Swype for the keyboard I see little need for a physical keyboard in a phone.

Touchscreen only is the way to go.
Try a good physical keyboard, and it's quite probable that you'd change your tune. I sure did.

Old 07-29-2010, 04:42 AM

I voted for touchscreen with Horizontal qwerty keyboard although to be perfectly honest, I don't mind anything that has a qwerty keyboard. I had an old motorola and now the e63 and I must say, I would never go back to a phone without a QWERTY keyboard. I like having a touch screen phone as it is more "fun" to use but not so fun without a keyboard lol. .. Unfortunately though no one has made my perfect phone yet.. me want a 4.3" screen, snapdragon processor, ANDROID!! and offcourse a QWERTY physical keyboard .. Oh and If they could haVe it on windows phone 7, its fine by me as well

Old 07-29-2010, 05:19 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrosaria View Post
I voted for touchscreen with Horizontal qwerty keyboard although to be perfectly honest, I don't mind anything that has a qwerty keyboard. I had an old motorola and now the e63 and I must say, I would never go back to a phone without a QWERTY keyboard. I like having a touch screen phone as it is more "fun" to use but not so fun without a keyboard lol. .. Unfortunately though no one has made my perfect phone yet.. me want a 4.3" screen, snapdragon processor, ANDROID!! and offcourse a QWERTY physical keyboard .. Oh and If they could haVe it on windows phone 7, its fine by me as well
Consider the Sprint Epic? Better than snapdragon SoC + 4" screen + Android + QWERTY.

Old 07-29-2010, 06:43 AM
Anythingbutiphone Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickysio View Post
Consider the Sprint Epic? Better than snapdragon SoC + 4" screen + Android + QWERTY.
Agreed. Snapdragon has a good reputation, but it's the budget "ghz" SOC. It was the first out the door, but both OMAP and Hummingbird/A4 are superior overall.

The Epic, as stated, is liekly to be your best bet for an Android phone now. Or, if you like WP7 as mentioned, wait for the Dell Lightning.

Old 07-29-2010, 07:09 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by medion View Post
Agreed. Snapdragon has a good reputation, but it's the budget "ghz" SOC. It was the first out the door, but both OMAP and Hummingbird/A4 are superior overall.

The Epic, as stated, is liekly to be your best bet for an Android phone now. Or, if you like WP7 as mentioned, wait for the Dell Lightning.
The only issue now is when the next generation will launch... Cortex A9 is probably already in the fabs!

Old 07-29-2010, 07:57 AM

Quote:
The only issue now is when the next generation will launch... Cortex A9 is probably already in the fabs!
October, and the specs have been released. While Samsung hasn't announced an A9 variant, Texas Instruments and Nvidia have announced theirs.

TI's OMAP 4 is based on Cortex A9. There are two variants, the 4430, and the 4440. They're both dual-core and using the new PowerVR SGX540 GPU. The only difference is that the 4430 is 720mhz, while the 4430 is 1ghz. I'd expect Motorola to stick with these.

Tegra 250 features a dual-core Cortex A9 setup with Nvidia's proprietary GeForce 9-based architecture. Current expectation is for these to be behind netbooks and Android 3-based tablets.

During the same timeframe, Qualcomm will be using the "new" Snapdragon QSD8250A/8650A, and the 8272/8672. The 8x50A is the same as the current Snapdragon, shrunk to 45nm, and clocked up to 1.3ghz. So basically same chip, up to 30% more performance due to higher clock speed, better battery life, same lower end GPU. The 8X72 series is up to 1.5ghz, and dual-core.

The Snapdragon has never officially be labeled as a Cortex A8 variant. In fact, it's not. It's a very customized ARMv7 chipset that happens to be 5% faster than CortexA8 in computational power.

Given that Cortex A9 is supposed to be 20-25% faster than A8, in all likelyhood, Snapdragon will still be the fastest pure CPU when all of these chips come out. But, it would have fallen further behind int the GPU area. Also, phones using Snapdragon can claim "superiority" due to the higher clockrate, as Intel often did during the Athlon XP/64 days.

Old 07-29-2010, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Try a good physical keyboard, and it's quite probable that you'd change your tune. I sure did.
I owned a MyTouch Slide for a month and the keyboard did little for me. I don't know if that qualifies as a good keyboard in your book, but it certainly did nothing for me. I'm about as fast with Swype as I could be on a physical keyboard & I get a svelte device as well.

Old 07-29-2010, 08:34 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Not available in my side of the world, can't say anything about that.

Old 07-29-2010, 10:40 PM

Quote:
I must say that i'm not a big fan of samsung.. Plus it would probably be never released here in NZ.. so I'm just gonna wait till HTC releases one .. Im a HTC fanboy

Old 07-30-2010, 02:13 AM

Touch screen with horizontal slider for sure - I can't wait for the Samsung Epic 4G. My absolute ideal, mythological phone would be large touch screen with horizontal QWERTY and vertical slide numpad. I don't know how this would work or if it would even be possible, but I can dream.

Old 07-30-2010, 04:19 AM

HTC Desire. Does the job perfectly

Old 07-30-2010, 09:58 AM

I have a SE X1i, and it feels great, so I'd go with the horizontal QWERTY (actually, that'd be QWERTZ in German speaking countries :-) with touchscreen. My wife has that 3GS thingie , great but it looks like a toy to me.

Old 07-30-2010, 10:36 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeltar View Post
Touch screen with horizontal slider for sure - I can't wait for the Samsung Epic 4G. My absolute ideal, mythological phone would be large touch screen with horizontal QWERTY and vertical slide numpad. I don't know how this would work or if it would even be possible, but I can dream.
The clicky~ should suit you quite well. If only they made it!

Old 07-31-2010, 06:43 AM

Crap, voted for the wrong one. Wanted to vote for Touch Screen with Horizontal Qwery.

I prefer touchscreen interfaces for navigating, but when it comes to typing... nothing beats having a physical interface.

There should be a "Candy Bar Slider with Horizontal Qwerty", my friend has a non-touchscreen LG that does this.

TBH, though, I'd rather just use my Nokia 1100. Nothing beats the Nokia 1100.

Old 07-31-2010, 10:13 AM
Ultra Senior Member

The LG Crystal?

Old 07-31-2010, 03:33 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I'm eying the Galaxy S, but the new Windows Phone 7 and Android horizontal QWERTY phones are in my sights as well. Even the new Droid 2 is said to have the keyboard that corrects the flaws on the model I have - that MIGHT be my next phone, especially if the RockBox app gets completed for Android.

Old 07-31-2010, 04:39 PM

Touch screen only, I find Blackberry esq kewyboards very fiddly. as long as the touchscreen is very responsive and quick (like my HTC Hero) then I love using them, really easy in widescreen.

Old 07-31-2010, 07:31 PM

I'm a big fan of Nokia's E71 design, though I suppose a touch screen with a horizontal QWERTY keyboard would be more modern.

Old 07-31-2010, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soren34 View Post
I'm a big fan of Nokia's E71 design, though I suppose a touch screen with a horizontal QWERTY keyboard would be more modern.
The Nokia E71 (in black) is the sexiest smartphone ever designed. Make it slightly larger/wider to accommodate a 2.6" screen, make it higher res (480x360, like the BB Bold), and give Symbian a useful update (I can has HTML in email plz!?) and you have my perfect smartphone.

Alas, Nokia continues to the opposite. Horrendous design updates, screen size/resolutions from 2005, bugs and crashes with Symbian but no useful new features, etc. I gave up on them and settled on Android.