android
Go Back   abi>>forums > Miscellaneous Tech > Anythingbutiphone

View Poll Results: What is your preferred mobile phone formfactor?
Touch Screen Only 77 36.15%
Touch Screen with Horizontal Qwerty 106 49.77%
Candy Bar Qwerty 13 6.10%
Candy Bar Slider with Vertical Qwerty 13 6.10%
Other, Please Explain Below 4 1.88%
Voters: 213. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-26-2010, 05:34 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos1234 View Post
I voted horizontal QWERTY cause I got the Moto Droid mainly for it having a physical keyboard(and the screen ), however I kinda like the idea of a vertical keyboard like the Pre or BB for one handed use (impossible with horizontal keyboard). Even with the Swype beta on my Droid I still find it quicker to type on a real tactile keyboard.

PS I think the keyboard is the main reason why BBerry is still on top for smart phones, I see a lot of then carried around by college students (easier SMS and other IM).
I don't know, even the BB 9700 has, IMO, lousier QWERTY pad than the E71, or Samsung Omnia candybar QWERTY keyboard series. It's IMO, though!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-26-2010, 05:39 AM
Anythingbutiphone Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickysio View Post
I don't know, even the BB 9700 has, IMO, lousier QWERTY pad than the E71, or Samsung Omnia candybar QWERTY keyboard series. It's IMO, though!
I like the E63/E72/E73 keyboard more than the E71 a little. However, there's one thing I never could get used to on Nokia QWERTY pads - how they put the "z" DIRECTLY under the "a!" Besides Sony and Nokia, who does that!? That row is supposed to be indented.

Old 07-26-2010, 06:13 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by medion View Post
I like the E63/E72/E73 keyboard more than the E71 a little. However, there's one thing I never could get used to on Nokia QWERTY pads - how they put the "z" DIRECTLY under the "a!" Besides Sony and Nokia, who does that!? That row is supposed to be indented.
I think Nokia did that to save space... or it's just a design language execs enforced over the design teams, since the N97, N97 Mini, N900, E72, E71, C3, C6, E73, E75 etc have the same Z directly under the A, and the N97, N97M, N900 has the oddly placed spacebar.

Admittedly you do get used to it, and the oddly placed spacebar in fact increased my WPM, but it just seems like something execs thought would differentiate Nokia from other companies.

Or a bad attempt caused by stress from investors to try and retain customers, as it were, as you're used to Nokia's layout.

Edit : SE does the same thing. http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_ericsso...tures-3147.php
http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_ericsso...tures-3075.php
http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_ericsso...tures-3082.php

Old 07-26-2010, 02:14 PM

I love how much attention the off-middle space bar got! To me it wasn't an issue what-so-ever. Personally I find it odd that some manufacturers have a 5-row keyboard but waste half of the bottom row on just a single button.

Old 07-26-2010, 02:17 PM

Just a touch screen because having a QWERTY keyboard makes the phone bulkier.

Old 07-26-2010, 11:06 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hirudin View Post
I love how much attention the off-middle space bar got! To me it wasn't an issue what-so-ever. Personally IU find it odd that some manufacturers have a 5-row keyboard but waste half of the bottom row on just a single button.
It got frustrating when you try to type with only your left hand, though!

Old 07-26-2010, 11:43 PM
Anythingbutiphone Moderator

Oh I know, I said as much in the post you quoted. You have a habit of replying before reading the whole post

Old 07-27-2010, 12:58 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I thought you were referring to the pre SE times where sony made its own phones...?

Old 07-27-2010, 06:16 PM

Touch only - they're thinner, and most android / WM devices can use different keyboards.
There's always one which allows me to typ at high speeds.

A horizontal sliding qwerty isn't a dealbreaker though - they sometimes come in handy

Old 07-27-2010, 06:26 PM

Anything with a keyboard!

I voted horizontal, but would be open to vertical. That Dell phone looks pretty awesome.

Old 07-27-2010, 06:31 PM

I'm a dedicated G1 user, and I'm looking forward to the new T-Mobile Vision as a replacement in September. I like the tablet touchscreen, but there are some applications, such as command-line terminals, button-based games and extensive writing that more or less demand a physical interface.

So, horizontal QWERTY, definitely.

Old 07-27-2010, 10:41 PM

A smart phone with a qwerty keyboard like the Nokia E70. I've looked at and tried various other keypads, and just haven't found as much comfort as with the E70.

Old 07-27-2010, 11:33 PM

How many here who have expressed a preference for a physical Qwerty, have actually spent some honest time using a proper software touchscreen interface?

I used to be a principled Qwerty advocate. That is, until I tried a worthwhile alternative!

Old 07-27-2010, 11:35 PM

I voted for Touch Screen with Horizontal Qwerty because you get a large screen (great for watching videos and movies) and a simple yet feature-full interface. Plus you get a landscape qwerty keyboard for easy typing using large keys with tactile feedback. And the keyboard slides behind the screen when not in use. It's the best of both worlds!

Old 07-28-2010, 02:01 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipps View Post
How many here who have expressed a preference for a physical Qwerty, have actually spent some honest time using a proper software touchscreen interface?

I used to be a principled Qwerty advocate. That is, until I tried a worthwhile alternative!
I used to have a SE Xperia X1. That one had an absolutely rubbish hardware QWERTY keyboard, which drove me to virtual keyboards.

As a result, I got very familiar with Swype - I was probably within the first thousand people on earth to use Swype. Swype is good, yes, but ultimately I still type faster with GOOD hardware QWERTY keyboards. Like the N900's. Can't speak about other phones, but the Motorola Droid/Milestone's was err, crappy (IMO, just slightly better than the lousy X1 keyboard).

Old 07-28-2010, 04:31 AM

Touch Screen With Horizontal Slider is my preferred formfactor, uh-huh

Old 07-28-2010, 04:44 AM

Landscape qwerty sliders are my preferred form-factor. I would like to see the business oriented phones migrate to landscape qwerty.

Old 07-28-2010, 10:30 AM

I like touch screen only. On-screen keyboards are getting better and better, and the lack of a slider means one less component to break, and a thinner phone.

For the record, I use an HTC Hero.

Old 07-28-2010, 11:29 AM

After having a touchscreen device with Swype for the keyboard I see little need for a physical keyboard in a phone.

Touchscreen only is the way to go.

Old 07-28-2010, 02:44 PM

i prefer having something smaller, so im for a full touchscreen only. im pretty good with the on screen keyboard, having a droid incredible and zune hd ive learned to use them. but they do take time to get used to