android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Cowon iAudio > Cowon J3

Old 07-28-2010, 11:46 PM

just have a small doubt in terms of file limit..
I have most of my "Lyrics" in .txt format and have around 3000 files...
Will these txt files are considered under the file limit of 8000 files in J3?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-29-2010, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neosync View Post
just have a small doubt in terms of file limit..
I have most of my "Lyrics" in .txt format and have around 3000 files...
Will these txt files are considered under the file limit of 8000 files in J3?
Good question. I believe it's 8000 files total limit, not just music files.

F/K/A Need Balance Control

Old 07-30-2010, 08:52 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Hmmm, this file limit is certainly disheartening. Looks like the Zune HD might be my next player after all.

Old 07-30-2010, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xul View Post
That's nice to know, it shows the difference between the two models. I bet some folk looked at the 16GB model and thought, why go 32GB? A 16GB + 16GB card is cheaper. Well now we know that it costs speed to go down that road. That behaviour sounds like a bug as I thought the J3 merged memory with the card, as that is how the pool is presented. mini SD cards come in different speeds, are you guys using the fastest cards? Or was your choice made on just price?
Little Grasshopper, your analysis has several loopholes and is fraught with simplistic, naive observations.

There's no difference between the two models except one has 32GB as oppose to 16GB. A 32GB unit with external memory installed will have the same long startup time, as a 16GB unit with external memory installed. Likewise, a 16GB without external memory installed will bootup in the same manner as the 32GB without external memory installed. The distinguishing factor is not whether a unit has more internal memory, but whether an external card is install. A 32GB unit with external card installed will equally require additional time to scan at each bootup.

On another point, because a person purchased a J3 16GB unit as opposed to a 32GB unit, it does not necessarily follow that said person did it for cost reasons--perhaps some did go this route because of cost--but it does not necessarily or logically follow that it must be due to cost. When I purchased my 16GB, the 32GB unit wasn't released yet, so I went with the highest capacity unit at the time of my purchase.

You really ought to think a little more before making these posts replete with quick assumptions, fallacious logic and/or very simplistic analysis.

Old 07-30-2010, 11:37 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Well said, NBC.bravo-009.gif

Old 07-31-2010, 06:49 AM

I'm in the position where the cost of 16 V 32 is fairly unimportant[got 1800 in my savings...got big HDTV]. Also may I add foobar is awesome.

edit - Data merging is entirely down to how you browse, i.e. going by 'Album' means it'll locate and alphabetize anything, anywhere which has album tags. Browsing by 'Folder' will show actual locations[i.e. Int/Ext].
Going by tags means individual songs will appear in browser by tag[Beltane] as opposed to filename[08-Beltane.flac].

Last edited by chri5peed; 07-31-2010 at 07:11 AM.

Old 08-03-2010, 08:58 AM

Quote:
...I bet some folk looked at the 16GB model...
@ NeedBalanceCtrl, I don't think Xul was implying 100% of 16gb+16gb sd card users made said choice for cost reasons... besides he does raise a valid point. People considering the j3 who want 32gb of space should consider whether boot-up speed or price is their highest priority before choosing either option.

Old 08-03-2010, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HipHopScribe View Post
Hmmm, this file limit is certainly disheartening. Looks like the Zune HD might be my next player after all.

Yeah if you want something with half the sound quality then go for it.

Old 08-05-2010, 05:31 AM

does the file limit only effect browsing by tags or does it effect browsing by folders, too?

Old 08-05-2010, 06:10 AM

I was under the impression that it was an 8k music limit and a further 4k in "other files"?

Old 08-05-2010, 12:06 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrathchild View Post
Yeah if you want something with half the sound quality then go for it.
Cowon has sound enhancements the Zune lacks, and more powerful output, but I don't know about significantly better sound quality. I owned a Zune 80 and Cowon D2, so I heard them side-by-side, and I ended up selling the Cowon. If the Zune HD sounds similar to the Zune 80, I'll definitely be happy with it. I certainly understand that some people really use the sound enhancements Cowon offers, but while I experimented with them, it's not something I found I needed. I was primarily considering the J3 because it's expandable, but the file limit means I couldn't even keep all of my main library on there at once. I may not jump on the Zune HD either, because being locked in at 64GB doesn't look great.

Might have to do with my current Zune until Cowon changes this file limit issue, another expandable players comes along with this issue, or the next flash-capacity jump occurs for the Zune HD (or its next iteration), and that might be a ways off, since they're only now going to 64GB.

Last edited by HipHopScribe; 08-05-2010 at 12:13 PM.

Old 08-06-2010, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HipHopScribe View Post
Cowon has sound enhancements the Zune lacks, and more powerful output, but I don't know about significantly better sound quality. I owned a Zune 80 and Cowon D2, so I heard them side-by-side, and I ended up selling the Cowon. If the Zune HD sounds similar to the Zune 80, I'll definitely be happy with it. I certainly understand that some people really use the sound enhancements Cowon offers, but while I experimented with them, it's not something I found I needed. I was primarily considering the J3 because it's expandable, but the file limit means I couldn't even keep all of my main library on there at once. I may not jump on the Zune HD either, because being locked in at 64GB doesn't look great.

Might have to do with my current Zune until Cowon changes this file limit issue, another expandable players comes along with this issue, or the next flash-capacity jump occurs for the Zune HD (or its next iteration), and that might be a ways off, since they're only now going to 64GB.
For what it's worth, to fit 8000 songs into the 32gb you would have to use very low quality mp3s. 128 or less and quite short ones at that.

And you have a further 4k worth of video files for the rest of the space. It really is ideal if you want both some video and audio instead of just some audio really.

Old 08-06-2010, 09:23 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saahild View Post
For what it's worth, to fit 8000 songs into the 32gb you would have to use very low quality mp3s. 128 or less and quite short ones at that.

And you have a further 4k worth of video files for the rest of the space. It really is ideal if you want both some video and audio instead of just some audio really.
64GB, 32GB J3 + 32GB microSD, and yes, I can see that it would work if you wanted to store a lot of videos as well, but I don't.

Old 08-06-2010, 02:46 PM

Yes I do know that... I'm just making the point that you can fill up 32gb easily and still not be over the file limit.

I have just over 6k songs and that takes up about 40gb of music. So if your music is in decent quality MP3 you shouldn't have a problem.

But again the cowon is really more of MEDIA player then a music player was my point.

Old 08-12-2010, 10:32 AM

I've just looked at my two folders with music:
Folder A- 7663 Files 50.6GBs
Folder B- 1409 Files 10.6GBs

Total= 9072 Files 61.2GBs Damn it.

Old 08-18-2010, 01:28 PM

I have 3345 files on my J3 (19.2 GB) and the startup procedures takes 1-2 seconds. It took less than 10 seconds to scan through the new files after I copied them onto the Cowon, and that was only once. As I said: 1-2 seconds

Old 12-31-2010, 09:18 PM

Hmm. I've had an S9 for over a year, reached the 8,000 music file limit, and considered this evening of upgrading to a J3, in part to take advantage of the MicrosdHC slot. Most of the music on my S9 is 128 VBR ogg. If the J3 also has an 8,000 music file limit, I can't see myself buying one any time soon. I do have some .avis on my S9, but I tend to delete them after viewing once, so I don't have much of a reason to store a lot of video on it. Anyone know if Cowon plans on expanding the music file limit with future firmware updates?

Old 12-31-2010, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richteratmosphere View Post
Hmm. I've had an S9 for over a year, reached the 8,000 music file limit, and considered this evening of upgrading to a J3, in part to take advantage of the MicrosdHC slot. Most of the music on my S9 is 128 VBR ogg. If the J3 also has an 8,000 music file limit, I can't see myself buying one any time soon. I do have some .avis on my S9, but I tend to delete them after viewing once, so I don't have much of a reason to store a lot of video on it. Anyone know if Cowon plans on expanding the music file limit with future firmware updates?
Highly doubtful. If your primary concern is the 8,000 file limit, there is no reason for you to purchase a J3 over a S9.

Old 12-31-2010, 09:35 PM

Hmm. I just read on another forum that the J3 manual makes it seem that the J3 internal memory can handle 8,000 music files and that the microsdhc can also handle 8,000 music files. I just looked at page 12 of the J3 manual on the Cowon site, and it does in fact say this. It's not absolutely clear though that the J3 can recognize a total of 16,000 music files if 8,000 are on each. Can anyone confirm this? Anyone out there able to recognize more than 8,000 total music files on their J3 if no more than 8,000 are on either their internal or microsdhc memory? Thanks for anyone who can check.

Old 12-31-2010, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richteratmosphere View Post
Hmm. I just read on another forum that the J3 manual makes it seem that the J3 internal memory can handle 8,000 music files and that the microsdhc can also handle 8,000 music files. I just looked at page 12 of the J3 manual on the Cowon site, and it does in fact say this. It's not absolutely clear though that the J3 can recognize a total of 16,000 music files if 8,000 are on each. Can anyone confirm this? Anyone out there able to recognize more than 8,000 total music files on their J3 if no more than 8,000 are on either their internal or microsdhc memory? Thanks for anyone who can check.
Only 8 000 total. Not 16 000.