android
Old 07-21-2010, 02:15 PM
ABI Founder

Default Zune HD Proclip Car Mount Review

Mounting your gadgets to your dashboard in your car is always a good idea. Loose mobile phones, mp3 players, GPS, and other gadgets on the seat or console can distract you from driving if you need to even just glance at them. I will admit I have carelessly tried to find a ringing phone or mp3 player in my dash with some potential close calls. This is why I am a fan of mounting any kind of gadgets to the dash.

Window mounts work pretty good but in the case of my car, it obstructs my vision too much. The other thing is that mounting stuff to your windshield or even hanging something on your review view mirror while the vehicle is in operation is illegal in many states. Rarely enforced, it’s often used as an excuse to pull you over.

So I want something that will mount in my car but I don’t want to have to drill holes in my dashboard if I want to remove it or replace it with something else. This is why I really appreciate what ProClip has to offer since they make many non-destructive vehicle specific mounts. Im my case I found the perfect mount for my Honda Accord. The way the it mounts avoids close contact with the vent and friction fits into the gaps in the dashboard where two pieces of plastic meet. ProClip provides a tool that temporarily spreads that gap so that you can insert the ends of the mounting bracket. Again, no harm will be done to your dashboard.

This U piece of plastic provides a base in which you can build on. As you can see in my last ProClip review, I mounted two devices- a Blackberry Bold and a Zune 120. What is cool about this is that you can mount any device in countless configurations- one device, two devices, one on a swivel mount, the other flat, extended swivel mount, ect. If you change devices like I did, all you have to do is buy the specific mount for that device and it works with the existing ProClip mounting hardware- nice, universal, plug and play.

Now the setup on your particular vehicle will be different- you will have to look it up online to see what is available. But from what I found ProClip has the biggest selection.

The materials that make up the system are simple but robust. I have not notices any kind of fading or fatiguing in the plastic from having it sitting in the hot sun on my dash for over a year.

A bit of a disclaimer: A good friend of mine Johan (@JohanvanMierlo) who runs MobilityMinded.com also works for ProClip and hooks me up. This review may read a bit like a promotional post, but in all honesty I don’t have a single complaint after over a few years of almost daily use. And what I appreciate most about ProClip is the huge breadth of device mounts and vehicle mounting solutions. I have yet to find another place that offers this kind of selection. If you do know of other mounting solutions that offer this much, please share in the comments below.

(If you are worried about the ProClip branding on the side, they are just stickers and peel easily off. This is actually a deal breaker for some, so I thought I would mention.)

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-21-2010, 03:05 PM

Damn it looks really nice...

Is their a way to tilt the mount or does it just stay in place?

Old 07-21-2010, 05:33 PM
ABI Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by lem7 View Post
Damn it looks really nice...

Is their a way to tilt the mount or does it just stay in place?
you can mount it with a flush mount or use the swivel mount.

here is the back showing the swivel.

Old 07-21-2010, 07:28 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Neat product line, but far too expensive for me to realistically consider (assuming HTC Incredible and Sansa Fuze holders eventually became available...). Be thankful for your hookup, EnzoTen. Have you, by chance, had any experience with universal (i.e. size- and device-adjustable) car mounts?

Old 07-22-2010, 10:08 AM

Ouch, $72 for the whole setup.. Looks like i'm not getting one!

Good review, grahm.

Old 07-22-2010, 01:12 PM
ABI Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilpickle1 View Post
Ouch, $72 for the whole setup.. Looks like i'm not getting one!

Good review, grahm.
yeah, they can get a bit pricey for a piece of plastic, but if you want something non destructive that feels permanent and integrated, you really cant find another product that matches this. If you are on a budget, then go with the windshield suction mount from any of number of manufactures.

Old 07-24-2010, 09:42 PM

Off topic but how do you like your Alpine head unit? I've been looking at upgrading the stock one in my car?

Old 07-25-2010, 08:55 AM
ABI Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightsout565 View Post
Off topic but how do you like your Alpine head unit? I've been looking at upgrading the stock one in my car?
As odd as this sounds, i love not having a CD player in my car. I hate the clutter of disc based media. Just connect a usb drive and you are ready to go. the UI is simple, straight forward and effective. I am pretty happy with it.

Old 07-25-2010, 11:21 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnzoTen View Post
As odd as this sounds, i love not having a CD player in my car. I hate the clutter of disc based media. Just connect a usb drive and you are ready to go. the UI is simple, straight forward and effective. I am pretty happy with it.
I agree. I just upgraded the head unit in my car and the new one has an SD card slot. It displays the album art, song info, etc., and supports up to 16gb cards (probably 32gb as well). So long CDs, even though this device will play you. Join my 8-tracks and cassettes.

Old 07-26-2010, 01:20 PM

Just bought a 2007 Mustang Convertible, ditched the stock and went with a Kenwood Head unit , no CD, Interfaces with Zune or Ipod, a bit better with the Ipod, the Zune Loses Random Shuffle

Old 08-02-2010, 06:10 PM

Good review. It is a bit expensive but I went with ordering one anyways I'm in my car every day.

Old 08-02-2010, 09:26 PM
Buddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarpad View Post
Just bought a 2007 Mustang Convertible, ditched the stock and went with a Kenwood Head unit , no CD, Interfaces with Zune or Ipod, a bit better with the Ipod, the Zune Loses Random Shuffle
Try updating the firmware - there is a download from the Kenwood website. They have released a fix for that.

Cheers, Dave.

Old 08-03-2010, 09:29 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Hey Dave, any info about Pioneer working with the Zune crew for support on it's head units? I just stuck their flagship in my car and there is no mention of Zune support in it's documentation. I've got USB in. My model is THIS one.

Old 08-06-2010, 07:48 AM

Hey Enzo, is that a 99 Honda Accord? It looks exactly the same as my car. I feel like this review was personalized for me

Old 08-06-2010, 12:00 PM
ABI Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by j4r3du View Post
Hey Enzo, is that a 99 Honda Accord? It looks exactly the same as my car. I feel like this review was personalized for me
haha, almost... 98. glad i could personalize it for you =D

Old 08-06-2010, 02:29 PM

I just got mine in the mail and haven't had a chance to mount it yet, but I tried my Zune HD in the holder, and it fits like a glove! You can even have it turned upside down and the Zune HD doesn't fall out (although I wouldn't recommend it!!!)

Old 08-06-2010, 06:12 PM

I got mine today and it was really easy to install, it is quite expensive but for me it was worth it as it's the best solution I have seen. I have tried the cases that have suction and the vent clips and they were flimsy at best and never felt sturdy. This feels solid and the device fits perfectly... Only issue is it will not work with a case as the holder is designed with the zune HD only.

Old 02-16-2011, 06:33 PM

Not to resurrect an old thread, but I happen to resell for proclip, so as well as been an avid roamer of this and other forums, I can give a little back and give you guys a nice discount on their products if you're interested. Have spent enough time on various android and palm forums offering it up there, but never thought to mention it here. Feel free to PM me. Can save you at least 10% off of their procuts, making it a little more palatable.