android
Old 07-20-2010, 02:20 PM

Default Cowon J3 Audio L/R function

I have been experimenting with my Cowon J3 and came across this Audio L/R function under the system settings.

Is this supposed to be a panning function? As when I try the fucntion to the maximum of 10 the sound only pans slightly to the left and -10 the sound only slighly pans to the right. I don't seem to get any hard panning (sound only in left earphone while right earphone is silent)

Please advise

Art

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-20-2010, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artmuzz View Post
I have been experimenting with my Cowon J3 and came across this Audio L/R function under the system settings.

Is this supposed to be a panning function? As when I try the fucntion to the maximum of 10 the sound only pans slightly to the left and -10 the sound only slighly pans to the right. I don't seem to get any hard panning (sound only in left earphone while right earphone is silent)

Please advise

Art
Yes, this is Cowon's Balance Control/PAN. I purchased the J3 specifically for this function.

It does about 50% max. It doesn't move sound 100% to either side. I wish it did. It's not perfectly implemented, but it's better than no PAN at all.

F/K/A Need Balance Control

Old 07-20-2010, 07:10 PM

Need Balance, if pan is important to you, you really need to try a player that you can rockbox, it's implemented perfect on it.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 07-21-2010, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
Need Balance, if pan is important to you, you really need to try a player that you can rockbox, it's implemented perfect on it.
Due to my imperfect hearing, balance control is really critical for my needs. Thanks for the suggestion about rockbox players. The J3 is meeting most of my needs. I just wish it would implement ReplayGain so that the various different music files I have can be normalized in volume.

No player is perfect. J3 has some positives and some negatives. I'm starting to learn to live with the negatives of the J3.

Old 07-21-2010, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
To be honest I don't need the balance control as I have perfect hearing in both ears. I was just curious why the panning didn't go hard left ot right as I thought my J3 was not working properly.

I agree with you about RockBox having the best audio panning as I have it installed on my Fuze V2 and Clip+ and the audio panning is the best I've heard from a DAP.

Art

Old 07-21-2010, 06:45 AM

Can't see why anyone would want to balance 100 per cent sound to one speaker or another!! I use bluetooth to connect to my hifi (where I have connected a bluetooth receiver) and the panning comes in really handy. One of the strong points for me of the J3 and also the S9.

Old 07-21-2010, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resiak View Post
Can't see why anyone would want to balance 100 per cent sound to one speaker or another!! I use bluetooth to connect to my hifi (where I have connected a bluetooth receiver) and the panning comes in really handy. One of the strong points for me of the J3 and also the S9.
I don't need 100%, but I need more than 50%. Somewhere between 80-90%.

And no, my hearing loss in one ear was not due to loud music. I had an inner ear infection which caused the loss of hearing.

Old 07-21-2010, 10:40 AM

I only use about 10% myself, was only pointing out that it's the best implementation for portable use I have ever seen. On rare occasion I will pan 100% to one side to interact with someone for a while if I want to continue hearing my tunes.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc