android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Cowon iAudio > Cowon J3

Old 07-20-2010, 03:01 PM

Default To clear up how J3 handles album art?

I have created this thread to ask for myself and others, how the hell do you get J3 to properly accept all album art?

I say this because I have tagged all mp3s on my computer using mediamonkey, all displays as it should whilst on the pc, yet on the J3 some will work, some will not, some will only work in matrix browsers and vice versa.

Is there a special way to add the tracks, a setting, some way we are breaking it?

Quite literally, everytime I try readding images/resyncing etc. I get a different result, always resulting in missing album art!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-20-2010, 03:06 PM

yeah, I've been wondering the same thing and the only thing that has been working for me is to drop the album art into the album folder and call it "cover.jpg" It has worked for me and I had the exact same problem you did. It just takes up more time....I hope they address this issue on upcoming updates.

Old 07-20-2010, 03:24 PM

the problem is we just got an update and as far as i can tell it's gotten worst

Old 07-20-2010, 05:39 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Try tapping on DB Update in Settings:System. Let us know if that helps. It will rebuild the database.

Old 07-20-2010, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olley View Post
Try tapping on DB Update in Settings:System. Let us know if that helps. It will rebuild the database.

Did that and nothing. I've tried changing the size of my covers which were 500X500 down to 200X200 hoping they might have been too large but that didn't work either. I've run out of options. It must have been the new update that caused the problem. Would updating from the original straight to 2.21 without the prier updates be the cause?

Old 07-20-2010, 06:36 PM

i tried that too!

Old 07-20-2010, 09:32 PM

I've had a lot of cover art in individually-tagged mp3s not work at various times, and all of it is working now. In nearly every case there turned out to be a sensible and fixable reason why it wasn't displaying. Here are some of the things that helped along the way.

Make sure all art is jpg. Other formats have a way of not working.

For many covers that weren't displaying, I went into a jpg editor, rotated 90 degrees left, then 90 degrees right, and resaved the file. After adding the newly-saved files to the mp3 tags, many of them displayed. The point was not the rotation, but re-saving a new copy of the file without changing the picture. Some graphics header data may be corrected in this process.

If a CD's art wasn't displaying, I found it sometimes helped to delete the files from the J3, turn it all the way off (not sleep) and back on, then re-add the mp3 files and power cycle again. If the J3 isn't power cycled with the files gone, the J3 seems to remember in the cache that there's no cover art.

Twice out of desperation I deleted all the files in the System\MusicDB directory and let them be re-created. This worked great one time (lots of CDs suddenly showed art for the first time) and another time I needed to do a reset afterwards, so be careful with this one.

I also noticed that album art in tags is sensitive to other changes in the tag, especially if the album name is changed, because art seems to be associated with the album name on the J3. Even running replaygain on mp3 files caused some album art to become non-displayable on the J3. Make sure the album art is added to the tag last, after all other tagging changes are made.

With one particularly stubborn CD that wouldn't show art after I did all the things above, I stripped the mp3 tags completely off the files and recreated the tags, making sure to add the cover art last. It worked.

By whacking my way through all these methods at various times, I finally got 100% of my album art displaying, but it took weeks to accomplish.

Last edited by happyguy; 07-20-2010 at 09:46 PM.

Old 07-21-2010, 04:33 AM

they cant seriously expect us to do all that....

unless some kind of tool is available to automate the process..

Old 07-21-2010, 09:02 AM

Wow all mine showed up with no problem. I think I was missing only three or four out of 130 albums. Just use itunes to do your library. If itunes can't find your album cover simply go to amazon.com's music section and get them there. lots of people uploads 500X500 jpg covers there.

Old 07-21-2010, 11:31 PM

Just discovered today that when installing albums that contain the same title they get mixed up and combined together and not show in the matrix browser. For example:

Bob Seger - Greatest Hits
Joan Jett And The Blackhearts - Greatest Hits
Night Ranger - Greatest Hits

When I look in the matrix browser only Bob Seger's album art will be there. When I tap on the album art to display the tracks I see Joan Jetts and Night Rangers tracks mixed with the Bob Seger ones.

I renamed them and all the album art returns:

Bob Seger - Bob Seger Greatest Hits
Joan Jett And The Blackhearts - Joan Jett Greatest Hits
Night Ranger - Nigh Ranger Greatest Hits

Had the same problem with:

Iron Maiden - Killers
Kiss - Killers

Dio - Anthology
Bad Company - Anthology

Count how many albums you've installed against the count in the upper right hand screen in the matrix browser and see if they match. If not then this may be the reason.

Old 07-22-2010, 11:35 AM

So how come all the album art works perfectly on the pc (any media player) but somewhere along the line we have to do something special to get it to work on the j3?

Itunes? why? I have already got all the covers tagged off amazon using mediamonkey

Old 07-22-2010, 12:12 PM

wow, great post happyguy. That is a good comprehensive list of most ways to solve these problems.

I had trouble with album art right away, but then I had a pretty sloppy media library to start. Painstakingly, I went through and tagged everything properly and now every album shows up on my J3 every time.

I did notice that certain .WMA files didn't display album art properly. The tracks also didn't show up in the proper order either. Converting to MP3 and re-tagging always fixed these two issues for me.

Old 07-22-2010, 01:17 PM

Formatted, downgraded to 2.10, started it with no music, turned off, reloaded music, about 30% of albums now missing album art horizontal and vertically. Basically totally missing it...

So if i were to retag ALL of my music collection album art...and did nothing else, it should work?

Old 07-23-2010, 09:22 AM

Default Help is here.

You may need to delete the database file on the J3 to force a re-build of the the Database. Connect your J3 and go to the system directory. Look for the Directory called MusicDB. Delete EVERYTHING in it. Those jpegs you see are used by the Matrix art viewer and will be recreated at reboot. The file ALBUMINF.DB is the actual database index. At reboot you should notice another line under the J3 logo, with the words indexing? Albumart. When the player comes to life all should work. If any files don't show then there in problem with that file. Re-post and I'll walk you through the process of fixing them using MP3tag

Last edited by Xul; 07-23-2010 at 09:23 AM. Reason: bad formating

Old 07-23-2010, 11:54 AM

Done it, it checked for album art and now im still missing about 30% of album art

Old 07-23-2010, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrapoc View Post
So how come all the album art works perfectly on the pc (any media player) but somewhere along the line we have to do something special to get it to work on the j3?

Itunes? why? I have already got all the covers tagged off amazon using mediamonkey

I am having the same trouble. I am using Media Monkey as well, and I have tagged each and every song with the album art. One thing I noticed was that I had to specify the album art as 'cover' in the selection of the album art (not in the album folder).

It worked just fine and showed all of its album art on J3.
Then, I had to erase all of songs on J3 to restructure the song library so that my playlist would sync with MM, and the problem happened.

I am missing about 25% of album art.

It's quite frustrating

Old 07-23-2010, 01:23 PM

Ok, you need to select one of the non presenting albums and load it into mp3tag (freeware). You can work on file on the pc or the j3. Once loaded, select all (ctrl A) and have a look at the art displayed @ bottom left of the screen. If it is blank and says 'cover varies', that may be problem. You need to select each file in turn to check which one is different. Alternately, you can just copy a good displayed cover, then with all files selected right click on the cover pic and delete them. Then paste the cover and save all. Now all covers will be identical. Check to see if that album is displaying on J3.

Old 07-23-2010, 01:47 PM

Just thought, while in MP3tag, you should check to see if any files in the album has different settings. Like, are all the genres set to 'rock'? Do the files contain different comments etc. We need to pin down what stops files showing. All my albums are 100% sorted. Could that be why all my art shows?

Old 07-23-2010, 07:02 PM

ok i loaded ACDC "Black Ice" folder in mp3 tag.

along with biffy clyro.

both genres tagged as "Rock"

The image tag for ACDC was correct on the pc (not empty or cover varies). I extracted the cover, saved to desktop, removed the covers, retagged it and then copied across to the J3.

Still the same unless im supposed to delete the musicdb thing again?

folder.jpg

Thats the image tagged into the mp3s which isnt showing...see if it tags correctly for you onto the J3 (remember to click it first for the full size image)

Old 07-24-2010, 07:16 AM

Well I tried that image and nothing is wrong with the art work it displayed in all areas on my j3. In your tag is the 'title' field occupied? It should contain a name, the j3 pulls the display name from that field. When I put the new file on, on power-up the j3 showed the second line on the startup screen 'updating albumart'. Did your unit show this? If not then yes, delete the Musicdb directory. I'm using firmware 2.10 as 2.20 does update new art.