android
Old 07-18-2010, 12:11 PM

Default Cowon J3 and Shure SE420 too loud even at 01

Hello,

This is my first post . I went from Creative Zen to Cowon J3 that sure was a shock . I still think it's too neutral with some songs with SE420 (lack of mid-low basses if I'm not mistaking) but I'll live with it until Shure SE535 get down to a more affordable price (like 300 euros).

Anyways, my principal concern about the Cowon J3 now is that even if I put the volume at 01 it's still too loud sometimes ... Putting EQ -12 db or using a system to control the volume between output and Shure SE420 both work but I'm affraid about loosing quality, I'm not sure the EQ acts just the same way as the volume control on the right side of the Cowon J3...

By the way if anyone knows a good converter to go from vob to "avi audiocopy" that would be much appreciated ^^. I thought I could put DVD files troubleless ...

Thank you for your help

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-18-2010, 12:54 PM
Redneck Moderator

You could always make yourself an impedance adapter that is equal on both channels. If your not handy with a soldering iron or electronics then you probably don't know what I'm talking about.

I know one of the writers here used to build and sell them to people, but I'm not sure if he still does.

Old 07-18-2010, 01:38 PM

Here's one for $18.00 on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ETYMOTIC-ER4P-TO...item439b92ead9, also you can order a custom made one from them for any ohm impedance you'd like (i.e. 15, 22, 30, 33, 36, 51, 68, 82, 91, 100, 120, 150, ...)

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 07-28-2010, 02:24 PM

Thank you for your replies,

Well I don't really want to buy something else, I hope I'll be able to upgrade to SE535 one day and if I can buy custom molds that'll sure be the last thing I buy for audio for a long time.
The EQ thingy doesn't seem to be so bad I tried putting -4db and it was perfect. Did anyone already complain about this ? SE535 have even more sensitivity this must be insane .
Unless you have another brilliant idea I'll deal with EQ thingy, I'm going to suggest Cowon to make something for this problem like sub-levels for instance 0>-1>-2 etc .

Old 07-28-2010, 07:17 PM

I found the Cowon too loud when listening to music at night, even on 1...

So, I went in and lowered all the settings on the custom sound settings for User1 User2 and User3. User1 is -4 on all settings, User2 is -3 and User3 is -2. It seems to work.

Old 07-28-2010, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Verwey View Post
I found the Cowon too loud when listening to music at night, even on 1...

So, I went in and lowered all the settings on the custom sound settings for User1 User2 and User3. User1 is -4 on all settings, User2 is -3 and User3 is -2. It seems to work.
What 'phones are you using at night?

The J3 doesn't normalize volume, so I can see how some very loud source files can be a little loud even at 1 if you're trying to sleep. That's happen to me a couple of times on a few audio extracts of tv shows I listen to while going to sleep.

The suggestion of using customized EQ to lower volume works very well.

F/K/A Need Balance Control

Old 07-29-2010, 08:45 PM

Unhappy

I actually have the opposite problem... my J3 32GB sounds quite low with the Shure SE530

I've only got FLAC sources... but I generally listen to it at around 32 volume... with the Shure SE210's I have to up the volume to 40 (max).

BTW: Shure is now black listed with me... I find their earphones really poor, yet astronomically expensive. Base is always substandard. If you want decent base no boomy BS, just nice in your head deep'ish base go with the Senn IE8's... I really regret not paying the extra $100 and getting some IE8's.

If you want the good stuff at a decent price get some Denon AH-D5000's.... TOTALLY AWESOME with any type of sound Games, Movies (HDDVD Matrix=wow), Music!

I'm starting to feel like a Denon rep. cos I pimp them on every post... but they really do sound fantastic... just a little big

Tags
cowon j3 loud