android
Old 07-16-2010, 10:57 AM

Default Little help with id3 tags and Various Artist

Sorry if this is a basic question, but I'm new to all this. I've been uploading some albums (i'm in MTP mode) - some are compilations - and when i go through the list for "artists", it's an absolute mess. I assume there is no way around this because of the nature of id3 tags?

Is my best best to just use the new folders method and rigorously structure them?

Just trying to get a good feel for how i should think about organising my mp3's.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-16-2010, 11:50 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Hey Welcome to ABi...sorry for your woes but don't worry, we will try to help sort you out.

The answer to your question, in short, is yes.

However, good news! There are workarounds. Trust me, you are not the first person to encounter issues with Various Artists albums or compilations.

One great free app for you to check is mp3tag: http://www.mp3tag.de/en/
My personal fave for years and its also very popular around these parts.

But how do I get my stuff in order you say?

There are many ways of course and no "right" way...You simply have to decide on a protocol that works/makes sense for you and stay consistent with it.

Here is an example of how I do it...
CD: Voices2, with all different artists and songs.

- I tag the ARTISTS field of all the songs as Various Artists
- I then add the specific artists on each song as part of the song name...I then rename all my mp3 files using my preferred ID3 tags.

In mp3tag, I use all the standard tagging fields, but will only review the relevant ones here:

Artist: Various Artists
Album: Voices2
Title/Song: La Mama Morta [with Maria Callas]
- i populate Year, Genre, Track Number, Comments, whatever else I want to fill in.

Once the ID3 tags are set, I use mp3tag to convert the filenames using the tagging info. Thus my song example above gets renamed as:

Various Artists - Voices2 - 08 - La Mama Morta [with Maria Callas].mp3

Of course the above is the way I do things - it may not appeal to you. But the idea is that you can come up with your own way that makes sense. Great of you to realize that some thought beforehand on this stuff will make things sooo much easier for you in the long run and as your music collection inevitably grows.

Much better to come up with a plan of organization earlier, rather than later.

hth!
-lestatar
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 07-16-2010, 12:35 PM

thanks for this, it's explained that what's required in this situation is some smart id3 tagging - not ideal, but i'm sure it will be usable for me. I already use mp3tag, and like it a great deal

I have another question now: I've seen that most recommend MSC mode, and because my folders (in folder view mode) are coming out with funny numbers all over the place in MTP mode, i decided to try it.

My problem now is that i have moved over all my music, and now i want to get a playlist on the clip of "my favourites". I've made one in Winamp, and when i drag it over, it's copying all those songs over again in seperate folders.

What's the best way to get it to just make a playlist from what is already on the player?

THis stuff is actually far more complex than it needed to be!

Old 07-16-2010, 12:38 PM

Hi,

Musorg is a great bit of Mac software for updating ID3 tags.

I go for storing all my music in well organised folders, and tagging it [Song Number] - [Song Name], or for a VA compilation [Song Number] - [Artist] - [Song Name].

Old 07-16-2010, 12:54 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neologan View Post
thanks for this, it's explained that what's required in this situation is some smart id3 tagging - not ideal, but i'm sure it will be usable for me. I already use mp3tag, and like it a great deal

I have another question now: I've seen that most recommend MSC mode, and because my folders (in folder view mode) are coming out with funny numbers all over the place in MTP mode, i decided to try it.

My problem now is that i have moved over all my music, and now i want to get a playlist on the clip of "my favourites". I've made one in Winamp, and when i drag it over, it's copying all those songs over again in seperate folders.

What's the best way to get it to just make a playlist from what is already on the player?

THis stuff is actually far more complex than it needed to be!
Stop! LOL This is one of those endless debates - MTP vs MSC.

Big issue to be aware of: If you select Auto or MTP mode on your device, transfer files then SWITCH to MSC mode and want to see the files on your computer, you cannot! The 2 modes are invisible to each other. On the Fuze though, all files wil be there.

So, select one mode and stick with it.

I personally am torn, but as I have a Fuze with Rockbox, I do exclusively use MSC mode.

And finally, yes, proper/consistent ID3 tagging is indeed a good practice and will pay many dividends over the years for you. One simple reason is that all modern players read/understand/use ID3 tagging.

cheers,
-lestatar
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 07-16-2010, 12:58 PM

don't worry, i haven't switched modes without moving all my music off the player first, then i swapped to MSC and put it back on again.

My issue is how to put a playlist on there and it not start copying the tracks over again.

For example, i have copied over Arcade Fire - Neon Bible, then i created a playlist with about 3 songs from this album in in, but when i attempt to put the playlist over, it's creating a new folder and putting those 3 songs in there. I can't figure it out.

When i was in MTP mode, it was smart enough to know when an mp3 was already on the player.