android
Old 07-15-2010, 08:34 PM

Default Just A Wee Bit Mad.

I've been watching all that WP7 has on it's official website, and it kinda gets me mad. It has everything I want in my zune, a calender, netflix, xbox integration, ect. IDK, I just am a little mad watching. I guess I was looking for a ipod touch/iphone type relationship, but it doesn't look like it's gonna happen. *sigh*

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-15-2010, 08:36 PM

So what are you complaining about? Just get a WP7 device

Old 07-15-2010, 08:45 PM

I don't have the extra 30 to fork out a month for data.

Old 07-15-2010, 08:56 PM

All of that is possible on the ZuneHD... I guess we will have to wait until wp7 or Zune HD 2...

Old 07-16-2010, 03:49 AM

I too am a bit annoyed at Microsoft's approach to all this.
If it's possible (and not that hard to implement some of the community's ideas), why not do it? Microsoft's brand respect has probably been knocked down a few notches for some of the users on here. I know, they didn't promise any of these things, and we shouldn't really be expecting anything more than a bug fix every now and again, but if Microsoft wanted to raise their awareness of the player in the market, as well as bringing in a few more sales, surely they'd do their best to make full use of the hardware? They have obviously spent time researching which hardware to use for the internals (and externals), so it baffles me a bit to see such mediocre support
I dunno, I guess I just feel a little bitter for, what seems like, a beta tester for some of the features in the WP7 platform. Especially as I won't be able to afford one straight away

Old 07-16-2010, 05:26 AM
Ultra Senior Member

MS didn't appear to want to simply copy Apple bit for bit. It's a shame though. They thought they could carve out their own sizable niche with nothing more than a good media player that had WiFi. Sad thing is that it would just take a small number of apps to make a huge difference in how useful our HDs were. MS doesn't seem to want to go there though.

Old 07-16-2010, 06:32 AM

WMP7 cannot run on the current Zune HDs.

Old 07-16-2010, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
WMP7 cannot run on the current Zune HDs.
Well, the software itself could run (without Phone- or GPS-related components). The buttons are the real problem, but they could be emulated on the bottom of the Screen without much trouble.

Old 07-16-2010, 07:57 AM
Anythingbutiphone Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubi79 View Post
Well, the software itself could run (without Phone- or GPS-related components). The buttons are the real problem, but they could be emulated on the bottom of the Screen without much trouble.

Unfortunately, the software itself could not run, due to lack of RAM. While MS seems to be pushing 512MB as the minumum for WP7 for consumer devices, indications are that they'll allow 256MB (or 384MB) as the minimum for certain enterprise devices.

The Zune HD has 128MB of RAM. It can't run the current incarnation of WP7, and I don't see the OS becoming that featherlite between now and release.

Old 07-16-2010, 08:05 AM

As unlikely (see impossible) as it is, they could make a WP7 lite for Zune and current WinMo phones, cutting out certain resource-intensive features and functions.

But it won't happen... All we can hope for is for it to be hacked, modified and ported.

Old 07-16-2010, 09:36 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Living In Lies View Post
I don't have the extra 30 to fork out a month for data.

I agree here. My parents refuse to shell out the extra 30 bucks a month (or more) to use a Verizon or AT&T or any phone with the monthly plan. So...what that means, for me, not old enough to get a good paying job, is that I have to stick with the crappy TracFones, which are only good for calling and texting, and TracFone doesn't have any smartphones in my area (I know, what a shame). So, for people like me and Living In Lies, we've got our good reasons, why we cannot afford a WP7 and would love to see the WP7 software ported to the Zune HD. However, I'm not complaining, because I've already complained and clearly it's not making a difference, and I don't want to waste my time complaining if it's not going to make a difference, I have more important things to do than to complain to somebody (MS) who's not listening to me.

Retired Devices:
Sansa Fuze 8+16GB Rockboxed

Old 07-16-2010, 09:47 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDougal View Post
I have to stick with the crappy TracFones, which are only good for calling and texting, and TracFone doesn't have any smartphones in my area
beerchug.gif Cheers to a fellow TracFone user that also can't afford anything better!party0027.gif

Old 07-16-2010, 10:16 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
Attachment 9123 Cheers to a fellow TracFone user that also can't afford anything better!Attachment 9124
Heh...if you had no choice to use a TracFone...you wouldn't be happy...especially when every kid at your school shows off their Droids, iPhones, Blackberries, etc. and you have no choice but to watch and hope that you had one. And when you seem to be the only kid in town with a TracFone...., you'd be very upset too...so lonely.

Retired Devices:

Old 07-16-2010, 10:58 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Heh...if you had no choice to use a TracFone...you wouldn't be happy...especially when every kid at your school shows off their Droids, iPhones, Blackberries, etc. and you have no choice but to watch and hope that you had one. And when you seem to be the only kid in town with a TracFone...., you'd be very upset too...so lonely.
It's simple economics for me. I've spent the same amount of money on minutes for my phone ($100 since last November when I got it) as my boss spends each month on his phone. My co-workers are recommending the BoostMobile $50/month unlimited everything plan to me all the time, and while that seems like it would be cool, it's more money than I want to commit to each month, because I don't make a lot of money.

So I use my phone for (wait for it) making phone calls and an occasional text message, and do my Internet stuff on the computer. I get what you're saying about seeing everyone else with the Droids and iPhones compared to what you have.....I was in high school once too. But believe me, in a few years, you'll realize you wasted a lot of time and energy worrying about what the rest of your schoolmates thought....save your energy and apply it elsewhere.

Old 07-16-2010, 11:07 AM

Yeah, I use net 10, cause it's uber cheap, I only make like 60 bucks a week, and it all has to go to random stuff (food, ect.).... Which is making it impossible to save up for my thunderbird bass...

Old 07-16-2010, 12:02 PM

Plastic cup and yarn strings....? $0.00 a month but lousy service and quality.

Old 07-16-2010, 12:04 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Marvin the Martian, what you use your phone for, is exactly what my parents use their phones for! I looked at the BoostMobile website, and the minute pay as you go plan might be something my parents would consider, but it's highly unlikely. I'm almost 100% sure that if I suggest it to them, they'll say "No! TracFone is cheap and makes calls, that's all I care about!" or "If you want to use it, then pay for it yourself!" From what I see, the only good thing about TracFone is it's really cheap. The one thing I really hate about TracFone, is that they don't have any new phones...the only have the old flip style phones, and one slider phone (which the only phone that is a new style, which is what I have). They have no smartphones, no phones with full QWERTY keyboards, etc. That's what I like about BoostMobile, they've got a prepaid plan, but actually have modern phones, they have smartphones, etc. And to tell you the truth, I only use my current phone for texting, and to make an emergency call if I need to. However, if my phone included web, etc. then I would certainly use it. I guess I should be happy that I just have a phone, though. A feature-less phone is better than no phone.

Retired Devices:

Old 07-16-2010, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Plastic cup and yarn strings....? $0.00 a month but lousy service and quality.
lol kinda reminds me of Iphone....? $100+ bucks a month but lousy service and quality.

Old 07-16-2010, 12:23 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snanime View Post
lol kinda reminds me of Iphone....? $100+ bucks a month but lousy service and quality.
Hehe that's right....I don't like AT&T.

Retired Devices:

Old 07-16-2010, 12:36 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Marvin the Martian, what you use your phone for, is exactly what my parents use their phones for! I looked at the BoostMobile website, and the minute pay as you go plan might be something my parents would consider, but it's highly unlikely. I'm almost 100% sure that if I suggest it to them, they'll say "No! TracFone is cheap and makes calls, that's all I care about!" or "If you want to use it, then pay for it yourself!" From what I see, the only good thing about TracFone is it's really cheap. The one thing I really hate about TracFone, is that they don't have any new phones...the only have the old flip style phones, and one slider phone (which the only phone that is a new style, which is what I have). They have no smartphones, no phones with full QWERTY keyboards, etc. That's what I like about BoostMobile, they've got a prepaid plan, but actually have modern phones, they have smartphones, etc. And to tell you the truth, I only use my current phone for texting, and to make an emergency call if I need to. However, if my phone included web, etc. then I would certainly use it. I guess I should be happy that I just have a phone, though. A feature-less phone is better than no phone.
Don't get me wrong, if I had a phone that could check out Web stuff, and I could afford it, I would use it. If I came into a bunch of money, sure, I'd look to upgrade...Droid X, HTC Evo, who knows?

I'm just using my phone the way I do because I have to. I have the slider one, the Samsung.....and I would love a QWERTY keyboard too. Maybe someday.