android
Old 10-30-2011, 10:32 AM

Thanks for the quick reply. What is a "DAP driver"? Also yes I am not a music techno but have invested in good headphones, I know these are good as everyone is pleased with them. As you said maybe the sources being used are not doing it justice? Like youtube, which I always view the videos in HD if that makes a difference? 3DS for example. For the ear buds not fitting as the ones given, should I invest in some new tips..I've read alot about "comply tips" would they makes a difference? The only real complaint I have is if it had an L shaped jack, so it fits snuggly into all devices , wouldnt stick out as much. Regards

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-30-2011, 11:01 AM
Administrator

You misread that some. I wrote "what a quality DAP delivers". A DAP is a Digital Audio Player. A mp3 player like a iPod or Sansa Clip. There's a lot more definitions in the Glossary in my sig.

The rest isn't maybe. Youtube videos and a gaming console just can't do the Panasonics justice, you can't get good sound if any one of the three I named is poor.

Youtube videos have the same middle to low quality audio attached to them regardless of the video resolution from what I've observed. You also have no idea how many times that sound has been reencoded before it was attached. Each time you reencode a mp4, mp3 or any other lossy (check the Glossary) file the quality goes down. All that adds up to is you just can't be sure how it should sound at it's best. So there's no way to judge if it's the headphones or the music.

I wouldn't spend anything on different tips until I addressed the other obvious problems. You do need to get a good seal from the tips to get everything IEMs deliver but if what they are trying to deliver isn't up to par that won't make a difference. If your goal is to listen to music at a good quality level your best bet will be to upgrade your files and source first.

Old 10-30-2011, 11:14 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Try different sizes and or invest in some tips also upgrade your source. Computer out should be fine stop using Youfuck and switch to Grooveshark. You don't need a account just type in your fav song and proceed fuck up your surroundings.

Old 10-30-2011, 09:53 PM
Ultra Senior Member

If the buds are falling out of your ears, the fit is not tight enough, which is needed for appropriate, good sound, including bass. I would try a larger size rubber tip and see if that helps. The buds should stay in your ears, even when walking/jogging/etc.

Old 10-31-2011, 08:43 AM

Ok guys yes I've looked into Grooveshark and will be using that from now on1 Even though they dont have videos, but hey spent quite alot on the Panasonic's so I want to get the most out of it as you can imagine! Yes I've tried all the buds, I go jogging in the mornings and they do slips out. If you could guide me in the right direction for some ear buds? Also lastly this might be a stupid question but may as well ask...I find putting the left side into right ear fits in more snuggly, loll. This shouldn't make and diff right? Like the Ear phones come out of the wiring, it doesnt matter which goes into the wire, I right or left? Thanks

Old 10-31-2011, 08:49 AM

They are the same, doesn't matter left or right, you can switch the cable as you please.

Old 10-31-2011, 09:53 AM
Ultra Senior Member

If you're not doing it now, you might try looping the cable around the back of the ear so that the bud goes into your ear from above, rather than from below. I have no problem with the buds coming out when I do it that way. And keep in mind that one's ear canals may not be the same size, in which case using different sized tips for each ear may be beneficial.

Old 11-03-2011, 08:17 AM

Just noticed, Play.com have put the price up to 120 pounds!! Woww!! Lucky got them when they were priced at 60 pounds! I think play, realised their mistake.

Old 11-03-2011, 08:23 AM

Heh, they're getting worse than Wall Street.

Old 11-03-2011, 10:25 AM

Lol! What do you mean? I dont know if they are worth 120! To be honest

Old 11-03-2011, 11:09 AM
Ultra Senior Member

-Walks out the room- :P

Old 11-03-2011, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob619 View Post
Lol! What do you mean?
I just meant the constant up and down of their price, and the fact that they still keep popping up, that nobody even knows if they're discontinued or not (not even Panasonic themselves).

Old 11-03-2011, 01:04 PM

Loll yeh Panasonic is a weird company, they have great products especially their TV's. They dont advertise at all though?! I wouldnt have even have found these headphones if it wasn't for extensive searching!

Old 11-03-2011, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
I just meant the constant up and down of their price, and the fact that they still keep popping up, that nobody even knows if they're discontinued or not (not even Panasonic themselves).
Indeed. They seem to have released (are they still making these?) a spiffy all white version for the ipod crowd.
Pulvis et umbra sumus.
-Horace

Old 11-04-2011, 01:10 AM

I remember seeing/hearing people mention the white ones like a year ago. They were only released in Japan. That store probably got them imported which would be my guess with the high price and the cable with plastic connections instead of brush aluminum.

Old 12-12-2011, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
Heh, they're getting worse than Wall Street.
Speaking of money, now that many of us have had them over a year, how many are still using them? I have used a LOT of phones in my life, and still have more $$$ tied up in cans than my first car cost, but I still carry these daily.

If that's not (wait for it) a SOUND INVESTMENT I don't know what is.

You don't understand. Well, maybe you do. That's a huge statement. I enjoy them more than every other IEM I have access to, including ones that cost considerably more.

Not that cost implies anything other than good marketing, but when something as beautiful and technically impressive as (for example) UE TriFi10s are outdone* by a single driver unit from Panasonic -- a manufacturer whose track record on producing good (or even tolerable) headphones is arguably low -- this is something, as I said eariler, huge.

Don't get me wrong. TriFi10s are gorgeous sounding, as are ER4Ss, SCL & SE 3/4/5s, UM3s, I'll even give a nod to PL50s, all quite good at attacking my tympanic membrane with such unhealthy yet satisfying vibrations; still, I love these Panasonics.

If there's one thing I'll singularly remember dfkt for, it was turning me on to these. Well, and the years of consistent, honest reviews I could (for the most part!) agree with. I mean seriously, he convinced you, me, and who knows who else to buy some Panasonic phones made from simulated diamond with the claim that they sounded excellent and was not in fact just a marketing gimmick. That requires trust!

----
*outdone = simply, just more enjoyable to listen to - with my ears, and my gear. YMMV! I even enjoy Grados, so maybe my ears are broken. I just don't want to debate to start up, ie. "what exactly do you think is better about these than..." or "have you tried the ???? with über pro gold 9000 tips?!" type of conversations. Thanks.

Old 12-12-2011, 11:30 AM

Cheers, CowonFTW - awesome post.

Old 12-26-2011, 08:43 PM
Contributing Editor

Are these white ones for real?

http://shop.conics.net/rp-hje900-w.h...&dat=gshopping

Old 12-26-2011, 08:51 PM

There's a new HJE900 on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=270880248973

I was thinking about it, but I guess I wouldn't pay the price it's inevitably going to jump to. So have fun.

Old 12-26-2011, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasrhp View Post
Wow, I've never seen a headphone whose price fluctuates so much...